The Calling

The Calling

A Story by Tina H.W.
"

One man and his hopes for a bright future...

"
The fortune teller handed James Hunter a folded piece of paper; on it were her predictions about his future. She gave him strict instructions not to read it until he got home. James stood up, promised he would do as she asked, then left.

Outside, James smiled and inhaled the warm early afternoon air. He felt a glow of optimism about his future. He and his wife Kirstie had been trying for a baby for the past year, but so far, nothing. Maybe the family they so longed to was on the cards? He couldn't wait to get home to his wife and read the fortune-teller's predictions! He felt an itching in the palm of his hand, a longing to know what was written on the piece of paper he held so tightly in his hand as though his very life depended on it. He resisted, he didn't want to jinx anything.

In his excitement to get home, James didn't see the lorry driving at speed towards him. He died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.

Kirstie Hunter sobbed uncontrollably as she was told the devastating news of her husband.

"Mrs Hunter " the sympathetic policeman said gently. "James was holding this when we found him."

Kirstie took the piece of paper and unfolded it with trembling fingers. Inside were two very precise, neatly-written words in block capitals:
NO FUTURE.

© 2016 Tina H.W.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What should i say? i mean these are just amazing concepts, the you set up the story and gave so much strength to it , made the reader feel excited about the future of James... i was overwhelmed by your thoughts... the ending was tragic but so amazing...

Im your biggest fan... i don't know what is a good writing but i can truly say that your stories amaze me and gives me opportunities to find enjoyment... thank you for such a lovely work dear authoress.... full ratings...

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tina H.W.

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your lovely words. I get quite nervous about submitting new material so findin.. read more
Inject Positivity

8 Years Ago

it's always feel great to read your stories dear sweet frnd... you are absolutely welcome...



Reviews

Oh... my... God! I-- umm... am shocked by this eerie piece! This was very well written and I devoured it :D
Keep it up!
The fortune thing also got me a bit in a hurry to find out the mans fortune as if it was mine, and I gasped at the ending :(

Posted 7 Years Ago


Hmm, I wonder... I wonder if the cop might be tempted to play God in such a situation? Might he choose to lose that piece of paper? Could there be a double twist somehow? You have me thinking - not a common occurrence.

Posted 7 Years Ago


That's quite a turnabout, going from hopeful optimism to disaster in a flash. Such is the way things sometimes go, though. Very well-written.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Tina H.W.

7 Years Ago

Thank you! I try to use as few words as possible for maximum impact. That's the plan anyway :)
Samuel Dickens

7 Years Ago

And it's a brilliant plan. Economy of words is the way to go.
amazing write up.....such a tragic ending.

Posted 8 Years Ago


You have a delightfully dark mind! And the little stories you tell are extremely well composed capsules.

Posted 8 Years Ago


What should i say? i mean these are just amazing concepts, the you set up the story and gave so much strength to it , made the reader feel excited about the future of James... i was overwhelmed by your thoughts... the ending was tragic but so amazing...

Im your biggest fan... i don't know what is a good writing but i can truly say that your stories amaze me and gives me opportunities to find enjoyment... thank you for such a lovely work dear authoress.... full ratings...

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tina H.W.

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your lovely words. I get quite nervous about submitting new material so findin.. read more
Inject Positivity

8 Years Ago

it's always feel great to read your stories dear sweet frnd... you are absolutely welcome...

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

563 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 21, 2016
Last Updated on March 21, 2016

Author

Tina H.W.
Tina H.W.

United Kingdom



About
Hello! :) Wow! I feel out of my depth among so many talented writers! Well.. I like to write (that's when I have the time) Most of my stories are either humorous or dark and sinister. I love to try a.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Two Minutes Two Minutes

A Story by Tina H.W.


One Love One Love

A Story by Tina H.W.


Poster Girl Poster Girl

A Story by Tina H.W.


The sixties The sixties

A Poem by Daffy