The Office Bore

The Office Bore

A Story by Tina H.W.
"

Sometimes things just aren't what they seem.

"
I've made a terrible mistake. I'm only speaking to him because he's alone and now, because of my good deed, I'm trapped in a corner of the office party with the office bore.
He's wearing a pained expression as he tells me his name is Robert Barker. And tells me he already knows who I am. I wonder how as we've never been introduced. I've already decided this is the first and last time we speak.
Oh what have I done?!

Everyone around us are all drinking, laughing and having a good time while I'm stuck here with boring Bob. To make matters worse, he doesn't even have any distinguishing features about him to distract me from the low drone coming from his thin lips. I smile and try to look interested but all I want to do is shut my eyes and wish him away. I'm terrified in case he sees me stifle a yawn.

I think I caught the words "paper clips" but have I actually fallen asleep on the spot?
I realise I'm not in blissful sleep but in a living nightmare as he continues.
"The blue paperclips after my favourite colour," he says, sniffing and hoisting his specs up with his middle finger.
I hear a sudden roar of laughter from a group on the other side of the room. Oh how I long to be with them...

Bob has stopped talking, resulting in an agonising awkward silence between us while he picks his teeth with his little fingernail. Maybe now would be a good time to suggest we mingle, but just as I open my mouth to speak, he launches into another speech about paperclips.
"Umm...so...yeah... Sometimes I put red paperclips with blue ones, ya know, just to mix things up a bit but generally I like red with red and blue with blue..."
"Fascinating," I manage to say.

Julie Simmons, one of the girls from accounts is looking over at us. I've spoken to her a few times. She's wearing a lovely floral, mid-length dress. When I eventually get the chance I'll ask her where she bought it.
She must have noticed who I'm with because she's turned on her heels and is now walking away. I don't blame her.

Somehow, this one-sided conversation has turned to toilet cleaners and which is the best brand for getting rid of unsightly strains.
"I buy my toilet cleaner from the 99 pence shop and not the pound shop. It's a penny cheaper from the 99 pence shop, you see. Got to save the pennies, eh?" He snorts with laughter and then sniffs. "So...yeah..."

That's it! I've had enough! I can't take it any longer. I smile politely at him and say that all this talk about toilet cleaners has left me wanting to spend a penny.
And then I'm free! I'm actually free! Clever me!

When I return, I see that Bob had latched himself on to Julie Simmons and I can't help feeling releaved and wanting to laugh. I can't imagine what he's talking to her about.
As I pass them, I can't help but discreetly listen in on their conversation. Poor Julie...

This is their conversation, word for word:

Julie: "I only left you alone for a moment. I spotted the two of you talking. How on earth did you manage to shake her off?!"
Bob: It was hard! But I ended up talking about toilet cleaners!"

(They are both finding this all extremely funny)

Julie: "Well we all warned you about her. She's so boring! But you managed to shake her off. Clever old you! Fancy a drink?"

Bob smiles and throws his arm around Julie's shoulders. Then they both walk straight past me, laughing with each other and not looking in the least bit bored in each others company.

© 2016 Tina H.W.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Arf, arf, I love it. Nice twist. I didn't see it coming. Your style is loose and open and jogs along nicely, no words wasted, no flowery indulgences, just the quickest way to the pay day ending. Great flash. While I was being led unsuspectingly down the path to the twist, I found myself thinking what if the bore turns out to be interesting? But your ending was far better.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tina H.W.

7 Years Ago

Aw, thank you. Just made a change from writing dark stuff. Glad you enjoyed :)
R J Askew

7 Years Ago

Which is your darkest? I'll read tmr.
Tina H.W.

7 Years Ago

Um..probably between Poster Girl and Satisfaction. And thank you! :)



Reviews

Ok. I think you have serious talent Tina. Most here are pretty average- like me! This was engaging, and basically terrific!

Posted 3 Years Ago


Tina H.W.

3 Years Ago

Thank you Frankie. Your words have moved me. Sometimes I doubt myself, but your words are very encou.. read more
Franky

3 Years Ago

You are very welcome! I'll read more of your stuff. You are quite good.
Arf, arf, I love it. Nice twist. I didn't see it coming. Your style is loose and open and jogs along nicely, no words wasted, no flowery indulgences, just the quickest way to the pay day ending. Great flash. While I was being led unsuspectingly down the path to the twist, I found myself thinking what if the bore turns out to be interesting? But your ending was far better.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tina H.W.

7 Years Ago

Aw, thank you. Just made a change from writing dark stuff. Glad you enjoyed :)
R J Askew

7 Years Ago

Which is your darkest? I'll read tmr.
Tina H.W.

7 Years Ago

Um..probably between Poster Girl and Satisfaction. And thank you! :)
The first part is so realistic, as far as showing us the uncomfortable situations that can be found during office parties. You write convincingly about the office bore, only to provide a twist & let us know the narrator was the bore, not the goofy guy. Well done spoof on realistic aspects of life & gatherings. Your twists are some of the best well-done twists I've read in such a short story. Perfect length for the brief online attention span, yet feeling complete.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Oh, very clever. How we perceive one another in relation to ourselves. Great illustration.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Tina H.W.

7 Years Ago

Thank you, S.Mi :)
Clever twist. Funny. One little comment: You say "he doesn't have any distinguishing features". I would recommend you say what he does have instead of what he doesn't have. As a reader, I found it hard to believe there was nothing to describe him.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Tina H.W.

7 Years Ago

Hi WanderingDavid, thank you for your comment. I wrote that Bob doesn't have any distinguishing feat.. read more
Nice ending. I didn't know where it was going, but I knew it was soon because there was only a paragraph left. I was pleasantly surprised. Thanks for your post.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Tina H.W.

7 Years Ago

Hi Dave Potter, thank you for for your kind words to my little story. Means a lot :)
This is very clever... I like the little details you have added here to let the reader see the setting of the story and I love how accurately you have chosen the title of the story... At first I thought Bob is a man with a boring nature who talks about unnecessary things but then you bring a twist in the tale... Great job mate great job...

Sincerely
Dhiman

Posted 7 Years Ago


Tina H.W.

7 Years Ago

As always, dear Dhiman, thank you for your kind, encouraging words. They really do mean so much. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

533 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 16, 2016
Last Updated on October 17, 2016

Author

Tina H.W.
Tina H.W.

United Kingdom



About
Hello! :) Wow! I feel out of my depth among so many talented writers! Well.. I like to write (that's when I have the time) Most of my stories are either humorous or dark and sinister. I love to try a.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Poster Girl Poster Girl

A Story by Tina H.W.


Two Minutes Two Minutes

A Story by Tina H.W.





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114