MERMAID GIRL

MERMAID GIRL

A Story by Tina Kline
"

A story of desperation and love.

"

    I stood on the rocks just above the crashing ocean waves. The water was emerald and purple with ivory froth riding the crests of these waves. Night seagulls circled and twisted above me in the damp air. The velvet ebony sky was studded with shimmering and sparkling stars.

    I stood on these silver gray rocks this night, like so many nights gone by, dreaming. Dreaming to escape my painful and abusive family. My father, rarely home, out with his many women and when he was home, perpetually drunk on wine and whisky. He would attack me, my sister and would beat my mother, who in turn, beat her children. It was an ugly home life, filled with beatings, rapes and cruel and harsh words.

    So I escaped to this rocky shore line when my father came home, intoxicated in a brutish way on his wine and whisky and wanting to start his attacks. I came here to escape my mother screaming and not wanting to see her beaten and bloody on the floor and knowing my sister and I would soon follow. So I’d flee.

    Now I stood staring down at the shifting, heaving emerald and purple waters, wishing I were a night seagull, then I could unfurl my ebony and white arrow like wings, wink once like a star and ride the night air currents to a happier and safer life.

    I sighed deeply, depression weighing me down, knowing I was doomed. I would never escape. Most likely my father or mother would end my life and there was no one to care. It was just me and my family; we were social outcasts in this fishing village where we lived because of my father’s very antisocial behavior.

    As I was contemplating my impending murder by my crazed and out of control parents I saw something brilliant flash just below the cresting ocean waves, right before the ivory froth crashed against the rocks. I took a deep breath, cleared the unshed tears in my eyes and gazed into the waters, concentrating as best I could, hoping to see again what it was that had caught my attention.

    There was something below the surface, something moving, orange and scarlet maybe. I leaned forward, just a little, to get a better look. What ever it was, it was moving about, in lazy circles and it was large. I was very intrigued.

    I stepped out onto a rock that was damp with sea foam and ocean water. The night seagulls mewed in their plaintive voices, circling above my head. I balanced myself on the rock, squatting down to better view what was lurking about beneath the ocean waters. An ocean swell heaved upward toward me, but I was unconcerned, for it was bringing to the surface what it was I was so curious about.

    The heaving waters crashed over the rock I was on and there he was, breaking the surface of the emerald and purple waters.

    He was right there, clinging to the rock, gazing at me out of beautiful brown eyes. A man! A man with long curly black hair that shifted almost like a halo about his head. Hair that was not even wet. How could that be? He was smiling at me, a kind, playful and friendly smile. His chest was bare and nicely muscled. He was a very beautiful and attractive man. He surprised me by reaching out a hand to me, his smile deepening.

    I hesitated. What was I to do? I wanted to take his hand but where could we possibly go? Into the ocean and beneath it’s constantly shifting waves?

    “It will be alright.” The man said, his voice was musical, sounding like the ocean and deep like a man’s voice.

    I was spell bound. I wanted to go with this man very much. I was shocked for a moment at how quickly I’d made that decision. I hadn’t really had to think about it at all! But I still hesitated, uncertain and unsure.

     Suddenly, like something hideous, evil and ugly cutting into something wonderful and beautiful, I heard my father’s voice calling my name. His drunken and leering voice. I knew if he found me I was in for a beating and worse!

    The midnight seagulls spinning wildly overhead were shrieking now, their voices loud and sharp, as if they had been disturbed and it was a warning to me. Danger was coming!

    I looked down at the man in the water. I knew a look of desperation and terror was on my face for his tender smile was replaced with a look of concern.

    “I’ve seen you here many nights. I have seen how unhappy you’ve been. So I made a decision. I have come for you, so come with me. Do not stay here where your life is in grave danger.” The man said to me.

    “I want to.” I said. “But I’m not sure. Where will we go?”

   He just looked at me, his brown eyes kind. I could see he wanted me to trust him. Could I? I so wanted to go with him. I reached out my hand to him. My hand was trembling. I hesitated, my hand just inches from his.

    I looked toward the village. I could see my father stumbling toward me in the moonlight. He looked like something that had crawled up from a nightmare, something worse than death and I knew he had spotted me.

    I looked at the man in the water. He had pulled himself further up on the rocks and was very close to me now. I could feel his body warmth and it felt so good. His face was inches from mine; his warm breath fanned my cheek. That felt wonderful too, he felt like life itself.

    “Come with me.” He whispered and placed a gentle kiss on my mouth, a kiss that promised love and passion later on! Then, before I realized what he was doing, his arms were around me and he pulled me back with him into the emerald and purple waters!

    I let out a startled scream as the ocean waters closed above me. He had made the decision for me and my nightmare was finally over!

© 2011 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Now that's fascinating; a male mermaid.
Not sure I've ever heard or seen one.
Of course I love the purple of the ocean :)
I'm no fan of abusive men, so I was hoping
for his demise, but glad the girl was rescued
from her environment! There are a few minor
typos, but other than that, this is an intriguing,
even sad, write! Well done :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Hmm... It's like you never let us down with your talent! This was purely amazing! Very unique, and had me gripped from the first sentence. I see even more potential with every piece of yours I read, and I'm hoping you keep up the good work!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm glad she got away from her horrid family and horrid life but I'm not so sure she wanted to really go but the merman decided for her. But she was happy in the end. This is a nice charming story with a fairytale feel to it. Love it!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A different sort of love story. Excellent story line with a happy ending. At least she escaped from that awful life. Nicely done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i li9ke this story alot very interesting and well done..great job on this ..impressive stuff :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Now that's fascinating; a male mermaid.
Not sure I've ever heard or seen one.
Of course I love the purple of the ocean :)
I'm no fan of abusive men, so I was hoping
for his demise, but glad the girl was rescued
from her environment! There are a few minor
typos, but other than that, this is an intriguing,
even sad, write! Well done :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is....beautiful. I can barely think of words to describe it, but I loved it. I love your writing style, I love how descriptive you are especially in this piece, I love this.


Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

501 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 26, 2010
Last Updated on July 5, 2011
Tags: Mermaid, merman, love, desperation

Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Wolf Wolf

A Poem by Tina Kline