SOMETHING ABOUT THE NIGHT

SOMETHING ABOUT THE NIGHT

A Story by Tina Kline
"

A vampire story.

"

    The candle light burned, flickered when an invisible breath of air brushed against it, and then became almost motionless again. Outside her bedroom window a night bird called, its voice sharp, piercing, yet beautiful. Crickets chirped on and on into the darkness, a dog growled from somewhere close by and a car went past the house, whoever inside playing their music stupidly loud, at least that’s what Laurell thought.

    It was one o’clock in the morning and she wasn’t at all sleepy. She was wide awake and painfully bored. Laurell was stretched out on the bed with nothing to do. She glanced at her cell phone lying on her night stand and sighed. She didn’t really feel like calling anyone and glancing at her laptop sitting closed on her desk told her she didn’t have any interest in that either. Laurell really didn’t feel like doing anything.

    The night bird called again. Laurell turned her face toward her open bedroom window. The curtains were parted and she could see the full moon in the dark sky. A cool early morning breeze swirled into her room and coiled bout the candle, nearly suffocating its flame. The fire managed just barely to cling to its existence on the wick. As soon as the breeze backed off it sprang to brilliant life again.

    Laurell heard another call out in the night. A soft, tantalizing call, almost like singing somewhere out there in the dark. It sounded so pretty Laurell sat up in bed. What could it be, She wondered. She got off the bed and went to her bedroom window and gazed out.

    The neighbor’s houses were dark. A couple had their porch lights on. The street lights cast glowing patches of light on the street and sidewalk. There were no signs of cars or people at the moment but there was something out there. Laurell felt it, felt it tugging at her, pulling at her. It was like a physical whisper calling her to come out.

     It would be so easy for her to slip out into the night. Her bedroom was on the first floor of the house, there were no bushes beneath her window, and it would be so easy. Why not, Laurell asked herself, why not just open the screen and crawl through and enter into the night?

    She shook her head. It was now after one in the morning. It would be dangerous. Who knew what rapist and murderers lurked out there? Then Laurell laughed at herself. There was nothing dangerous out there.

     Laurell unlatched the screen on her bedroom window and pulled it open. She easily slipped through the window and landed quietly outside it. She stood there a moment, taking in the sharp chilly morning air. The night bird called out again, closer this time. Laurell shook herself then headed across the lawn to the sidewalk. Once there she just started walking, letting her instincts guide her.

    Where am I going? What am I doing? She wondered briefly. She was only 16 years old and knew very well she shouldn’t be out here, especially all alone like she was. It was unsafe and there was a curfew too. But I don’t care, she told herself. And she didn’t care.

    Something was calling to her, luring her and she couldn’t resist. She decided she didn’t want to, at least Laurell told herself that.

    She kept walking, increasing her speed, felt a burning eagerness to reach what ever it was calling to her. Any worry or fears for her safety vanished. Laurell felt an excitement mounting in her, felt her heart rate increase with each step, steps that took her closer and closer.

    Laurell left her neighborhood behind. She was traveling through a shopping district now. One she’d been to many times during the day with her friends. Here she was no longer alone. There were other people here, people who looked scary, people she should have felt afraid of. But Laurell didn’t feel afraid. She walked boldly and with no fear past them. And to Laurell’s shocked surprise these dangerous looking people stepped out of her way, refused even to make eye contact with her. Not a single one even spoke a word to her. Laurell felt really really surprised at this. Any other time she knew she would have been threatened, even hurt but not this time. They saw or sensed something about her that was a mystery to her but it kept them all away. She was glad about that.

    After a few minutes she left the shopping area behind her and entered another dark almost silent neighborhood. Laurell could hear more than one night bird calling now. A chilly breeze started caressing her, coiling about her, enveloping her like an icy embrace.

    Laurell slowed, came to a stop and let out a sigh. The chilly breeze kept up its soft caressing. Laurell lifted her head; the breeze gently ruffled her long brown hair. This all feels very pleasurable, she thought.

    She felt something touch her mouth, feather light like a soft kiss. Feather light touches traveled all over her body, lingering on her breasts and stroked between her thighs. She parted her legs, wishing she were naked. The caresses would feel real good if she were naked.

    Something brushed against her neck, lingered at her throat. Laurell felt her heart beating faster. She felt flushed with excitement. The feather light touches were becoming firmer, a little rough even. Laurell knew she was no longer alone.

    A large bird landed nearby. It opened its beak and called out. It was the sound of the night bird but it didn’t look like any bird Laurell had ever seen, in real life or in pictures.

    Now she could hear whispers and felt hands all over her body. I should be scared; I should be trying to flee! But I can’t! What ever was here with her in the night would not let her go now.

    Something pressed her head back and what felt like a mouth was at her throat. Something was holding her now against them but Laurell couldn’t see what it was. This thing, this creature, what ever it was, was invisible. Another large bird landed close and let out its night bird cry.

    Laurell cried out. The something bit her in the throat, sinking fangs deep. She felt her blood leaving her body and gasped with the pain. She could see what had her now, a beautiful woman who raised her blood smeared face to look at Laurell.

    Laurell was shocked to see how white this woman’s face was, how feral her reddish yellow eyes were, how her face lacked any emotion. The woman was smiling and the total lack of warmth on her face or in her eyes made her look terrifying. She licked at the blood on her lips and dipped her face back to continue her feasting at Laurell’s throat.

    God! Laurell thought, I’m going to die! This is a vampire and she’s going to drink me dry. And, oh God, how good it feels!

 

© 2011 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Curiosity gets one every time!
Laurell seemed to be enjoying herself :)
Sixteen and on the street long after midnight, alone,
probably isn't a smart idea for any girl of that age, but...
I think most teens feel invinsible. I liked the addition of the
'night birds' and the fact this particular vampire remained
invisible until the very end. I also enjoyed the bit of sensuality
in this story, too. Another enjoyable read!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very cool imagery and story, she couldn't resist the call of the vampire out in the night. Awesome pen on this vampire tale.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

very chilling your write the best vampire pieces... overall i thought you did very well on this... awesome stuff!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Awesome! This is a chilling vampire poem. She didn't know her life was in danger until it was way to late. What a effective stalking method for the vampire.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Curiosity gets one every time!
Laurell seemed to be enjoying herself :)
Sixteen and on the street long after midnight, alone,
probably isn't a smart idea for any girl of that age, but...
I think most teens feel invinsible. I liked the addition of the
'night birds' and the fact this particular vampire remained
invisible until the very end. I also enjoyed the bit of sensuality
in this story, too. Another enjoyable read!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very seductive and chilling vampire story. Being lured out into the night then possibly drained to death. Dark and frightening. Great job. It gave me a chill and more!

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Curiosity killed the cat, or "the Laurell" rather. Great description of the vampire both before it was seen and after.

Posted 13 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

413 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 18, 2010
Last Updated on July 5, 2011
Tags: vampire, vampires, immortal, undead

Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Smiles Smiles

A Poem by Tate Morgan