WOLVES IN MOONLIGHT

WOLVES IN MOONLIGHT

A Story by Tina Kline
"

Werewolves.

"

    In the darkness he heard her breathing and sighed with relief. He reached out to touch her and sucked in his breath in shock. She was so cold, so frighteningly cold. She was sick and he was certain she was dying. If only he had been able to save her. If only he had been strong and brave as a man should be when his woman was in danger. But he wasn't. He had failed the woman he loved in every way possible. He felt sick at heart and hated himself.

     The night wore on. The full moon swung around in the night sky and now shone in through the bedroom window, the light shining brightly on the bed. The moonlight also lit up the bedroom almost like a light was on in the room. In the distance he heard a howling and he shivered with fear.

     “I'm sorry my love, I'm so sorry.” he whispered to his wife.

     She moaned on the bed, kicking her legs and they quickly got tangled in the bedsheets. He scooted closer to her, putting an arm around his wife. “I love you.”

The howling sounded again, moving closer. Another howling echoed and then another. He cursed and glanced toward the window. They were coming, coming to claim their new pack member. But he wasn't giving up his wife without a fight. By god, he wasn't. He got up and went to the bedroom closet and got out his rifle, checking to make sure it was filled with silver bullets. He didn't know if they would work on killing these nightmarish creatures but he would try.

     His wife moaned and shifted about on the bed. She screamed and cried out loudly and sat up. “Daniel! Daniel!” she screamed.

     “I'm here Mona, I'm here.” He went to the bed and sat down beside her.

     “I don't feel well.” she said. She was drenched in sweat and was shockingly pale, almost greyish in color. “What's wrong with me?”

     The howling rang out loudly. The creatures were closer now, way too close. With wide eyes Mona looked toward the window. A very visible shudder went through her body.

     Daniel sighed and went to the window and gazed out. He saw a shadow move near the edge of the yard where the fence bordered the street. Two yellow lights winked out then winked back into existence again. He was certain he heard heavy wet breathing. They were out there in the yard he knew. They were here for Mona. He raised his rifle and fired at the yellow eyes. The shot rang loud and he heard a yelp out in the moonlit yard.

     Mona shrieked and leaped out of the bed. “What's going on Daniel!”

     “I'm scaring off intruders sweetie. Go back to bed. You need to rest.”

     “I'm not tired. I feel like I have boundless energy.” Mona went and stood in front of the window and looked out. She saw several pairs of yellow and greenish lights blinking on and off. She knew they were eyes. And she knew they were watching her. She felt that knowing deep within her. Just as Mona knew they were here for her. Fear and excitement coursed through her body. She took a deep breath.

     “Step away from the window Mona. It's not safe.” said Daniel.

     “I'm not afraid Daniel.” Her eyes went to the round moon hanging low in the sky sending its light into their bedroom. “I'm not afraid at all.”

     Daniel turned to her, “Honey. It's not safe. These creatures are not safe, they're dangerous.”

     Mona felt a laugh rise up in her throat and spill out, a strange and wild laugh. She felt a moment of shock at how wild and uninhibited it sounded. By the look on Daniel's face she saw he was shocked by the sound of her laughter too. “Come on Daniel. They're not dangerous.”

     “How can you say that when not less than 24 hours ago these creatures savaged you, ripping huge holes in your body. You bled out almost all your blood! They tried to kill you Mona! They're savage and dangerous beasts!”

     Mona looked hard at him. “I don't remember that.”

     “Of course you don't honey. It was traumatic for you. I want to keep you safe from them. If they come close I will kill them with these special bullets.” And so saying Daniel aimed his rifle out the window again. “I'm going to kill the b******s.”

     Mona put out a pale thin hand, reaching for the rifle. Daniel moved it out of her way so she couldn't touch it. “Stop it honey.” he said.

     “Stop what you're doing Daniel. Don't hurt them. I'm going out there to see what they want.”

     “Are you nuts Mona! They will kill you!”

     “No they won't. And if you back off now they will leave you alone. I won't let them harm you.”

     Daniel felt cold shock at her words. It was too late, he realized. There was nothing he could do for his wife now. She was one of them, one of those lethal and blood thirsty creatures. And the only thing they could be called were werewolves. Huge wolfish creatures. Nightmarish horror creatures. He looked sadly at Mona. “I understand.” He lowered the rifle and stepped back. “I'm not going to stand in your way.”

     She smiled, her eyes taking on a yellowish glow. “That is smart of you. I don't want you to be hurt. You've treated me well when I was your wife. You never harmed me and I prefer no harm come to you. I loved you Daniel and I know you loved me too.”

     Daniel watched as Mona left the bedroom and followed behind her as she moved to the front door. He noticed she moved much more gracefully in a way humans just could not move. She moved like a predator. Beautiful and dangerous. At the door she turned, “Bye Daniel.”

     Daniel didn't know what to do as he watched his wife step out the door. He moved to the open door and watched his wife glide gracefully across the lawn where several large wolfish creatures stood waiting for her. He shivered and moaned softly. How could he let his wife go? He loved her so much. He just couldn't allow this to happen. He stepped out onto the porch. He heard several of the wolves growl in warning.

     Mona turned and looked at him. She no longer looked ill and greyish. She looked vibrant, wild and beautiful. He took a deep breath and let it out in a loud rush. “Mona. Please. Take me with you.”

     Mona gasped in surprise, “What are you saying Daniel?”

     The wolves watching made soft howling sounds as if in surprise themselves. They shifted restlessly, their eyes shining yellow and green, something no normal animal's eyes could.

     “I want to come with you. Tell them to attack me so I can be like you. A werewolf. I'd rather be a beast than live as a human without you.”

     “Oh Daniel!” She cried then turned to the wolves watching. “Will you? Will you make him like us so he can be part of our pack too?”

     With a lot of snarling and snapping of their jaws the wolves rushed forward, heading for Daniel. As Daniel watched in sudden horror he saw Mona become blurry and change shape into a large wolf. She rushed toward Daniel behind the other wolves. “Oh s**t!” Daniel screamed as the wolves took him down in a savage and bloody attack. “MONA!” he screamed.






© 2011 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Yes, I loved this! Once I figured out what was going on, I knew she would have to go with them no matter what. I thought it was great that she wanted to though, and even better, I love that Daniel chose to go with her and become one of them. I was hoping that happened! I love it, and I'd love to see this as a chapter story

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Thank you for amazing story. I wish I had your talent. A complete tale in so few words. I like the tense feel of this story. Create a situation of love and desire to protect his love. I like the surprise ending. This is a outstanding short story.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yes, I loved this! Once I figured out what was going on, I knew she would have to go with them no matter what. I thought it was great that she wanted to though, and even better, I love that Daniel chose to go with her and become one of them. I was hoping that happened! I love it, and I'd love to see this as a chapter story

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very engaging and enjoyable read. I was hoping for more! I wonder what happened to Daniel. Awesome write!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really enjoyed this werewolf story. Kinda different than what I was thinking but I really like it. The ending is a fantastic cliff hanger!

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Very dramatic and engaging story. I hope he was turned so he could go with his wife like he wanted so badly. I'd like a part 2 so I could be sure! Excellent storytelling!

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

very nicely done..and yes I did gues,,way too soon ..but I wasnt convinced completly..the flow does pull one in...

Posted 12 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Love this! I want more, please!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

This was one excellent story! The ending was unexpecting!

Posted 12 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

321 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on July 12, 2011
Last Updated on July 12, 2011
Tags: werewolf, werewolves

Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..