WOLF IN THE GRASS

WOLF IN THE GRASS

A Story by Tina Kline
"

A wolf decides to become a backpacker's companion on the trail.

"

    I saw the wolf standing in the long swaying grass. She was beautiful to behold but seeing her when I wasn't expecting to see any wildlife was shocking and exciting. It was a warm afternoon and a gentle breeze was blowing the grass back and forth. In the trees overhead I could hear the peeping of little birds and in the distance came the odd voice of the raven. I was backpacking and I stopped to rest in the shade, opening my pack and taking out some food to eat. I had just placed my stainless steel water bottle beside me when I felt eyes on me. Fearful for several seconds that I wasn't alone and had unwanted company I looked up. It was then I beheld the wolf standing there, alert and curious. She had to be curious to reveal her presence to me.

     Stunned I sat there and stared at her, taking in her wild loveliness and her boldness. Why would a wild wolf expose herself to danger by letting a human see her? I didn't know. I could conclude she felt I was no threat but that still didn't answer why she would show herself to me. Why would a wolf be curious about a human?

     While I was struggling with these thoughts the wolf stepped a few paces closer to me. I held my breath, trying not to move. No way did I want to frighten the wolf away. I was hungry and thirsty from the hours I had already been backpacking but all that was quickly forgotten. My full attention was on the wolf. I was thrilled beyond belief as she moved closer to me. She held her head high, ears turned toward me and her bushy tail slowly swished back and forth a few times.

     The wolf was slowly but surely coming closer to me. A raven landed in a tree top overhead, calling out loudly. I noticed but barely. I thought I heard a whine coming from the wolf as she inched even closer but I wasn't sure. I did know I couldn't hold my body still for much longer. Already I was starting to feel the pain of holding it as motionless as possible. I needed to shift in a most painful way. I didn't want to scare the wolf but I couldn't take the pain of not moving.

      So I took the risk of shifting my body to relieve the pain. I watched the wolf as I did, fearful I was about to frighten her away. The moment I shifted she became hyper alert, sort of jerking her body back an inch or two. She froze the next second, muzzle slightly parted, tail held higher and her yellowish green eyes bright with what ever emotion she was feeling. But the wolf didn't turn and melt back into the forest. No, she kept her position and continued watching me.

     I sighed in relief and wondered where this encounter was going. I had to eat, drink and get on with my backpacking. I had a few more hours to put behind me before I reached the cabin that many cross country backpackers used for the night. I needed to get going soon. I looked at the wolf and decided to risk eating and drinking. Sitting up straighter I opened a food pack and started eating and drank from my stainless steel water bottle. The wolf sat down, wrapped her tail around her feet and watched me. I didn't know what to think except that I was overly pleased the wolf hadn't taken off.

     I finished eating with the wolf watching me. The warm breeze rustled the tree limbs overhead and the swaying grass. The birds continued their peeping in the branches overhead and the ravens flew back and forth calling out. The wolf watched and seemed to be waiting

    Once I was finished eating I put all my stuff back in my backpack and slung it into position on my back, settling it in place. The wolf stood as I did this. “Well, wolf, I gotta go. It was totally pleasing to be in your company.” I nodded to the wolf and turned to continue on my journey. I heard a noise behind me and turned just enough to see. The wolf was there, following behind me a few feet. I smiled and continued on walking, making my way along the path I had been following.

     The wolf followed behind me all the miles I had to go to reach the cabin where I would be staying for the night. I wondered if the wolf would be waiting for me in the morning. Somehow I felt she would be. Time would tell.

© 2012 Tina Kline


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The spirit of the woods can be felt by a wise person. I like this story. I like to see the wild animals free and in the care of the great forest. In the company of a friendly wolf mean your spirit showed no fear or anger. You were part of the woods. I enjoyed the story. Took me to a good place. Thank you for the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Well developed and fleshed out.. felt the anticipation ..the lengthened pauses and the colorful descriptive analogies..well done.. write a sequel or base a short story on it..? Laury

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

it is like taking a personal journey of my own into sadness. u wrote this so well and designed it 2 really captivate a reader. i can appreciate a compelling read like this and wish u much luck!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I found this story to be very captivating and fun to read.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Another very realistic wolf tale. It would be wonderful to have a wolf trust you enough to want to follow you through the forest. A very well written engaging story.

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wow, this is a most wonderful and magical story. I am very impressed by this. It had such a real feeling to it. Awesome work!

Posted 12 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

This is such an unique experience with nature, and this wolf.... it's so real, as I can relate, I have fortunately too once in my life had a wonderful wolf experience, eyes to eyes, love in connection! I loved this piece! so wonderfully written i got the chills. Thank you dear xo!

Posted 12 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

The spirit of the woods can be felt by a wise person. I like this story. I like to see the wild animals free and in the care of the great forest. In the company of a friendly wolf mean your spirit showed no fear or anger. You were part of the woods. I enjoyed the story. Took me to a good place. Thank you for the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

314 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 21, 2012
Last Updated on February 21, 2012

Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Haunted Haunted

A Poem by MOON