The Tire Swing

The Tire Swing

A Story by Aislinn
"

A rather sad story inspired by something my brother said.

"

There they sat. Two little children swinging back and forth on a tire hung from the great oak tree.


I sat and watched them as they swung that day. And over the years I was there as they grew too big to swing together.


Over the years the swing turned from a symbol of friendship to a symbol of love. It was there they could always find each other. It was there that they felt safe.


Then war came. He talked to her about his fears of being drafted. They shared their first kiss leaning over the tire swing.


Weeks passed and nothing happened. They started to feel hopeful that the letter requiring him to join the army would never come. But come it did.


“Ethan,” she said. “Don't go.”


Ethan sighed. He truly loved Questa. He didn't want to break her heart the way that he felt he would even though it wasn't his fault.


“I have to.”


They shared a final kiss over the tire swing.


Every letter that Ethan sent home was read while Questa sat on the tire swing. It seemed to make the news more bearable.


The one letter that Questa read while standing next to the swing held the worst news. After reading it she crumpled to the ground and didn't come in for hours.


Over the next days she wouldn't eat, she wouldn't sleep. She just cried.


And I had to watch as my older sister broke down. She never visited the tire swing again.

© 2012 Aislinn


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is very sad, quite beautiful.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aislinn

11 Years Ago

Thank you.
Beautiful, very touching, very well written

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aislinn

11 Years Ago

Thank you.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
2 Reviews
Added on July 14, 2012
Last Updated on July 14, 2012
Tags: love, loss, death

Author

Aislinn
Aislinn

MO



About
I'm a girl 19 year old girl who would rather remain slightly anonymous despite the fact that I'm posting my writing on the internet. Other than that, I'm semi-average. As average as anyone on this.. more..

Writing
Dare I? Dare I?

A Poem by Aislinn


Rain Rain

A Story by Aislinn