The Conquered

The Conquered

A Chapter by A.B.
"

We continue with the story telling what happens inside the city and in the life of princess Nora. We learn her thoughts and how easily her fortune is gonna twist into something different.

"

*12 hours earlier*

 "I always see this dream and wherever I go, it follows me. In this dream, I see a man and a lake of lotus. I'm at this lake watching the flowers and then I see him, covered by grey bandages, and he has already noticed me. I exclaim. His gaze is locked on me and it paralyzes me. His eyes are bright like diamonds and blue as the sea. I'm trying hard to move and slowly I raise my hand, pointing at him, trying to reach him. A red ribbon starts to swirl around my hand, my body, travelling and surrounding him. It gets tighter and it starts hurting. I'm trying to break free but I can't. The man laughs seeing my inability to move. He grabs the ribbon and pulls hard, tightening around me, moving me to his direction. I have no control. I'm breathing fast as he drags me through the lake. Water gets into my lungs and I'm coughing. The man stops pulling and I'm at his side now lying on the ground. He looks at  me and he bends down. His hand reaches for me and he moves his head closer to mine. And this is where I wake up covered in sweat".

Today is the final day that Nora will be a princess. From now one she will be an Empress. But it's just a title with no power at all. It is only a jewelry that a wife can wear and brag about it. But, does it have any meaning? Nora knows that it doesn't. She knows that being a princess gave her nothing but hardship and this new promotion it isn't a blessing, but a curse. Unfortunately, she has no control over her life. She is something that people can own and can sell whenever they like. Today she is her father's property, but in a few hours, she will belong to the Emperor. 

Emperor Lon has already other three spouses. The first is Katzin, having five sons with her, the second, married to her ten years after, is Milen, having three sons, and the third, married her 10 years after Milen, is Ti, having two sons. And now, after ten years, at his 50th birthday, will marry his fourth wife, Nora. Every Emperor of Zhen had only sons and that's why because the Gods that created this city, gave this blessing. And now it is Nora's time.

  Nora has been living in the city of Zhen for three months since the deal with her father, King Eris of the kingdom of Lotus and Emperor Lon, to make peace. There she learned how to behave and act as the wife of the Emperor and now she is ready. The whole city is on alert and getting ready for the wedding, presents from all over the kingdoms arrive, the servants decorate the city and the palace, and the people are sewing new clothes for the upcoming event. 

On Nora's champers, the maids prepare her bath using colorful soaps that smell like strawberries and vanilla. After that, they start fixing her hair and dressing her into layers of silk. Most of her hair are pinned up to her head with white and red flowers. Her dress is long and white with wide sleeves that start from the middle of the shoulders and end up down to her knees and a broad red velvet waistband is decorating the dress. 

  Thousands of people gather on the palace, royals and citizens, ready to watch the wedding. King Eris with his son Kron, are sitting on the front along with the kings and queens of other kingdoms. The ceremony begins. The priest mumbles some word written on a book, the servants brew some weird smoke that smells like orange and vanilla and the three spouses gossip with jealously about Nora.  

 The rite ends and the soldiers start throwing fireworks. People congratulate the couple and all move to the feast. Nora is pale, thinking that she will spend all of her life with a man than only likes drinking, war and women. They sit on the table and thousand of meals are being served. Emperor Lon and King Eris drink wine and talk about the past. Dancers fill the stage doing acrobatics and spitting fire from the mouths. 

 In all this, a thin, tall woman with a long nose approaches Nora and says, "My child, I'm queen Ellie, wife of King Wun from the kingdom of the Fox. I came here to congratulate you to your marriage with our Emperor". Nora nods putting on a fake smile to show her gratitude. 

The woman continues, "Well you see I've noticed how pale you look and how forced that smile was. Forgive me but, I don't think you enjoy this, even though every woman here is jealous of you, wanting to her your beauty and your place next to the Emperor. So, if I may ask, having all this riches within your grasp, why are unhappy?"

Nora stops smiling and raises her cup of wine, drinking it all in one go. She looks back at Ellie and answers, "Yes, I'm rich, I'm pretty, I'm married to the most powerful man in the world. And I would love all that if I had any control of this. Everything is decided for me, to marry a man that I will never love or love me, to be in a city of strangers that wear masks to hide who their are. I'm useless and empty, and no gold in the world can fill this".

 Ellie tilts her head a little bit and grabs her chin thinking. After a while she smiles and with a delicate bow she leaves. After some hours, nightfall comes and the Emperor stands up, raises his glass and says, "Thank you my friends for travelling and celebrating with me! But it's time for us to leave. Please, keep on drinking till the morning comes, in my name!", and everyone says together, "Emperor Lon!". The maids take Nora to the Emperor's champers. There, they undress her and they give her to wear something light and revealing while they comb her hair down.

  All of the maids start leaving, having prepared the bed. The last, opens the big window and whispers to Nora, "Everything is gonna be fine", and she leaves fast. "What did she meant" Nora thought. Emperor Lon enters the room. Candles are burning with a scent of roses. She is standing, being stiff, her heart is beating like a thousand horses. He reaches for her cold cheek and she closes her eyes. 

  She feels a pain on her ear, like a piece was ripped off. She touches it and brings her in front of her face. She opens her eyes and she sees blood. She looks up but she can't see the Emperor. "Wait what-", and at that moment, she looks down and in shock, sees the Emperor lying down in a pool of his own blood with an arrow on his chest. She grabs her mouth and takes some steps back. Her breathing is loud, she feels the cold blood of her ear reaching down her neck. Her legs are shaking and she is unable to move. She reaches for the Emperor but pulls back. Slowly, she turns her head behind to see where did it come from. She notices a window and a roof, but no on there.  She gasps and with her remaining strength runs out of the room.



© 2017 A.B.


Author's Note

A.B.
I hope you enjoy this, share your thoughts with me!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
Added on October 18, 2017
Last Updated on October 18, 2017
Tags: princess, fantasy, life


Author

A.B.
A.B.

Greece



About
Hello, I'm a young writer with a vivid imagination. My dream is to share my passion and what I store in my head with all of you! more..

Writing
The Conqueror The Conqueror

A Chapter by A.B.


The Red String The Red String

A Book by A.B.