Police Action

Police Action

A Story by Tom Wade
"

A returning Viet Nam vet has trouble adjusting.

"

The Police Action



Derick Dixon returned from Viet Nam with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, PTSD for those who want to sanitize s**t. Give it an acronym to hide the ugliness. The government has a whole department dedicated to this.

Derick was sure that somewhere in Washington people toiled away in a basement somewhere, thinking up clever titles for things so they could create a snappy acronym.

He returned with the hollow, vacant eyes of the truly wounded. Someone was once asked why he chose Psych-Ops as an occupation.



Because physical wounds heal,” was his reply.

For Derick, there was no healing. He had written to the VA. They sent him a letter four months later stating that his case was under review. How could they review a case that hadn't even been opened yet? It's hard to treat a case that you don't acknowledge. Like Obama refusing to say, Radical Islam, what bullshit.


Derick's wife bore the brunt of his injuries. Sleepless nights, reliving the horrors of Viet Nam. Horrors compounded by the hallucinogenic drugs he became addicted to while there. When he did fall asleep, chances are he would wake up jumping out of bed. To his sleep addled brain, the overhead fan in their bedroom sounded just like a Huey coming in for a landing.


Derick and Jerry Brown had been best friends since grade school. Upon graduation, they joined the Marines together. The Service had a policy then of letting you enlist under the buddy system.


Something Derick would live to regret.


Half way through their first tour, Jerry was captured by the Viet Cong. The Vietnamese were sadists. They set up a loud speaker, so Jerry's screams could be broadcast as they tortured him all night long. Derick's fellow Marines held him down to prevent him from trying to rescue his best friend. The Viet Cong got two for one that night. Two men tortured at the same time.


Derick watched television coverage as the POWs and MIAs were returned, some of them anyway. At the end of the war, 3,500 Americans remained in Vietnam. The news reports led us to believe that the Vietnamese were holding young Americans, but what they released were old men. Derick watched in anger, as one by one, old, crippled men disembarked from a plane in Germany. 


Skinny, emaciated, old men. There was no such thing as an overweight POW. The Vietnamese saw to that.


America's nightmare, was over, or just beginning depending on who you listened to. What did we win? “Peace with honor,” Nixon promised. Derick didn't see any honor in the crippled, old men we got back, or the 3,500 that remained. 


At the war's end 3,500 Americans remained behind. No man left behind, is a clever slogan, but it's a lie. 3,500 Americans would spend the rest of their lives, being tortured, in a Vietnamese POW camp. 


A part of Derick remained there as well.

There were no parades, for the returning heroes. No hometown welcoming parties. America didn't want to be reminded of her humiliating defeat at the hands of an under-equipped, poorly trained, but a determined enemy.


Derick bounced from job to job. Finally, after eight years, his Disability Insurance was granted. Seven hundred dollars a month. That's what the government valued his service at. Beggars on the street made more money.


Vietnam was never a declared war. To this day it's known as a Police Action. At its peak, 50,000 young men were killed, in a single year, in a Police Action. Derick sometimes wished he had been one of them, but then who would support his wife and children, in the manner they had become accustomed to, on seven hundred dollars a month.


At least, the country paid for Derick's funeral, when he died.

pad

© 2016 Tom Wade


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I remember when a relative returned from war and seemed to be reliving it every single day from then on. It was so sad to see and listen to. More of their stories need to be told. Valentine

Posted 7 Years Ago


Tom Wade

7 Years Ago

Thanks for reviewing this.
Sorry, but this story reads like a synopsis or an outline. For it to be a dramatic whole story, each paragraph needs to be expanded into a full page. More or less.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom Wade

7 Years Ago

You're an idiot.
KurtWilder

7 Years Ago

I've been called much worse... Oh well.

Clearly, you don't want to hear *constructive.. read more
Tom Wade

7 Years Ago

I would if you were a writer, but I looked and you haven't posted anything. Write something, and the.. read more
Sadly, Derick wasn't alone in being left alone on his "lucky" return. What price a hero?" springs to mind. Forgotten men, who will be remembered tomorrow, on remembrance day, give or take your time zone, then mostly forgotten about until we are told to remember once more.
Superb writing.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 9, 2016
Last Updated on November 9, 2016
Tags: Vet Nam, PTSD, Vet Post Traumatic stress disord

Author

Tom Wade
Tom Wade

Sarasota Florida, FL



About
I am a retired Software Engineer. I recently took up writing to keep my mind active and to share some of the stories that have been floating around in my head. more..

Writing
Dream Dream

A Poem by Tom Wade



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Don't Go Don't Go

A Poem by Neal S