Far from for Kiltartans Poor He Died

Far from for Kiltartans Poor He Died

A Poem by Tomás Ó Cárthaigh
"

Yeats poems in memory of Major Gregory celebrate him as an Irish airman, though he was a lover of the empire and stood against everything the poor of Kiltartan loved or wanted.

"


William Butler Yeats poems in memory of Major William Robert Gregory celebrate him as an Irish airman, not giving the fact that he was a lover of the empire and stood against everything the poor of Kiltartan loved or wanted.

This poem explored that aspect of Lady Gregorys son, who did not share his mothers politics.

He died far from Kiltartans poor being shot down by friendly fire in Italy, and far from for them in fighting for Crown and Country.

----------------- The Poem -------------------------

Far from Kiltartans poor he died
As to fight for his dream he tried
To outdo his enemy he vied
Only by his own to be shot down

And a poet who of the war vowed not to write
As it was no a writers war to fight
Nor a fit subject for verse in his sight
Wrote of an allied airman who fought for the crown

For far from the cause of liberty
So for Serbia and Belgium to be free
And Ireland too - far from that he
Wore uniform among the clouds

It was for empire to remain great
To be the worlds most powerful state
White, English, of the Reformed faith
He died, far from Kiltartans crowds

For it was far from fighting for Kiltartans poor
He died far from Kiltartan it is sure
He desired to keep them so, his heart was pure
British, to the very bone.

And the Kaiser, whose forces he faced
Whose Empire his own displaced
Was no more Kiltartans enemy disgraced
Than was the Hero from among their own.

© 2010 Tomás Ó Cárthaigh


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Stanza 2 Line 2--At it was "not" a writers war to fight

Well, I have to disagree; I really liked this poem, which didn't seem at all slung or written in haste! What was taken from Ireland is gone forever and that makes me sad. I love anything Irish, including my O'Men or McMen. LOL!! My current being a very Irish McKee.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

tis always a pleasure to read and hear your works Tomas. You bring history to life plucking my ancestral chords

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tomás Ó Cárthaigh

8 Years Ago

Cheers Donald - plenty more over on www.writingsinrhyme.com if you want a gander! I'll get a read of.. read more
Tomas I am sure you know the previous comment by Lara is a spammer, they come on here & send messages in our inboxes and reviews. Do not message or email. I have reported as spam. You my friend should also do the same! Blessings!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Tomás Ó Cárthaigh

8 Years Ago

I get tons of them! Thanks for the warning anyway! 😅😆😊
Tomás Ó Cárthaigh

8 Years Ago

She's deleted there now!
Inspirational poem, I love the idea of writing in response (or about) another poem and if it's done well, can be really beautiful. This was, I loved the repetition and the stanza talking about how war isn't fit for a poem, but this hero was. As I said, inspiring. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stanza 2 Line 2--At it was "not" a writers war to fight

Well, I have to disagree; I really liked this poem, which didn't seem at all slung or written in haste! What was taken from Ireland is gone forever and that makes me sad. I love anything Irish, including my O'Men or McMen. LOL!! My current being a very Irish McKee.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It was an interesting read. I feel the passion but it lacks flow. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That was pretty cool. Slow down a bit o' the reading. Sounds rushed and a wee bit hard to understand at times laddie. Loved the musical number that played along with it. Would have loved a bit of hammered dulcimer as well. Kudos to you.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hearing it was way better then reading it! For your next reading I would suggest slowing down just a mite. Your words slung together too much in spots. Other then that I loved how you kept with a traditional Irish feel, it's not an easy thing to do, but then if you're Irish I'm sure its second nature. I love the history and the reading and I'm glad you posted this as you had. WELL DONE!

N. Strong

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like it how you teach me to know history better with this poem, and how you are enthusiastic to pick interesting men and women to make them your way - unforgettable. Great tribute and flawless versification. I especially liked the classically attuned words choice.

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

990 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 26, 2010
Last Updated on May 26, 2010

Author

Tomás Ó Cárthaigh
Tomás Ó Cárthaigh

Renmore, Galway, Ireland, An Roinne Mór, Gallaimh, Eire, Ireland



About
Ten years on this site... a quick decade, and an age in another way... Flanagan and the Lampost The Novena, some Drama and Midge Ure in Galway Fiddling at Longford Donkey Innovat.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..