Reviews in my opinion

Reviews in my opinion

A Story by Tomás Ó Cárthaigh
"

What reviews mean to me as a writer...

"

Why do I as a writer publish my poetry, or articles? To get another's take on them, to receive reviews. But what do reviews achieve, are they not just backslapping and massaging egos of people who publish seeking approval? Or a way to cut another down to size we don't like? Some can be, but the majority not so.

 

Reviews are the applause at the end of reading, some subdued and dignified - the simple few claps, and some over the top with shouting! Others, of a negative variety can be of mere indifference, and more yet can be scathing, as in the booing at the end of a song.

 

The worst review, is no review.

 

To hear from another how your piece has moved them, how something small in your mind has made another's day a bit better and brighter, or made another think, that is what makes it worth breathing the air day after day for a writer. Critique of form is always welcomed, especially when a suggestion of how it can be done better.

 

The best critique of form is pointing out spelling and grammar errors, which some like me seemingly cannot avoid.

 

The idea of publishing on  site such as WC is to meet a like minded audience, and to network with and get feedback from fellow writers and lovers of the poetic crafts. So whatever you think, tell the poet, but try and give it a positive vibe!!!

 

Reviews are invaluable!

© 2010 Tomás Ó Cárthaigh


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I agree with all you've said. I'm CONSTANTLY "scouting for new talent" and giving people my (tactfully) honest reviews. If I think something you wrote is incredible, I cheer unabashedly. If I think it could use some tweaking, I say that too. But I do think that if I took the time to read, I should take the time to let the author know how I felt about their work. Nicely said. Though you may want to add an a in the "The idea of publishing..." sentence. ;)

Posted 13 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very well said, my friend. I'm going to write a poem inspired by this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I could not agree more: reviews are invaluable ... Feed back is invaluable! At this time in my writer's life I am probably spending more time writing more reviews than poems or stories of my own. At the moment I've got 93 read requests in a queue, waiting for me, but I will review them all, because like all writers, I want to get feed back, of whatever nature. I will never unfriend anybody because I have made numerous spelling or grammar mistakes ... again ...
Slander somebody because you do not like them as a person is a form of critique not worthy to be called a review, neither are we helped by people who applaud us without pointing out our flaws and mistakes!
Yes, I am glad you wrote this article!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Also being a bit of an artist who paints and draws, I know that we can get so close to our work during it's creation that we may miss major flaws, and so having the fresh eyes of another to look at said work can be extremely usefull.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I agree with you completely. When I recieve a review I usually try to follow their advice and it just makes me happy anytime they say they connected with it. Great job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


APPLAUSE THOMAS HAAAAA!!!!!! I think if someone takes the time to read my work and comment then I am happy...no caustic undertones, but constructive critique huh? Yes? YES!!!
:-)

Posted 13 Years Ago


I agree with you Tomas, constructive crit is the life blood of the budding writer, infact, the writer will not bloom without it imo. As you state, pointing out typos and punctuation/grammar, are useful to the writer. What I get out of a poem, I generally try to express in the critique. I like to understand where the writer is coming from when reading their work. It makes me feel like I have understood the message, but then again, some poetry has many layers of meaning and can be read differently from reader to reader. That is the beauty of poetry. For me, it soothes my soul and helps me to understand better, the world around me.

Yes, Reviews are invaluable.

Well written, and perfectly timed!

Smiling at you

Tai, back in the saddle

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love this little piece you wrote, it's excellently written for one thing, but its also very true. I just joined this site a little while ago, wanting to read some work but mostly to get reviews for my story. Very nicely put!

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

i think the most important statement is : 'whatever you think, tell the poet, but try and give it a positive vibe'
i understand 'positive vibe' here doesn't mean that reviewers have to always praise and like the readings, but rather to express their thoughts in a positive way possible-

secondly, WritersCafe is a community of equal opportunity, a melting pot of writers; young-old, amateur-experienced, eastern-western, talented-skilled; and that's all great, though i don't quite like the dichotomies. ~L

Posted 13 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Well written and well said , Tomas! I agree with all you say..
I wonder as one reviewer did about all these writings with no or few reviews and up to one-hundred views? This one has 61 thus far.. my review will make ten.. I find that odd.. Some of the worst reviews for me are the ones that say, 'cute poem'.. nothing else? Cute? But it is as you say, the worst review is no review.
Good thoughts on this.

Chloe

Posted 13 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

It's not about positive or negative vibes, Reviews are not there for someone to just say,

"oh yeah i loved it good job"
or
"I didn't like it"

Reviews are supposed to help you improve your writing and i'm getting tired of getting tons of really simple reviews with people just telling me that they liked it and nothing else.
I didn't write it for you so why would i care if you liked it or not i wrote it for me and the world, sometimes i understand that you don't have much to say about a piece but you still want the author to know you liked it thats alright but don't make every review you write say the same two things.

Give me some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, Thats why below each review there is a option to give a thumbs up or down and it says " Did you find this review constructive?"

Posted 13 Years Ago


3 of 6 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

847 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 15, 2010
Last Updated on June 15, 2010

Author

Tomás Ó Cárthaigh
Tomás Ó Cárthaigh

Renmore, Galway, Ireland, An Roinne Mór, Gallaimh, Eire, Ireland



About
Ten years on this site... a quick decade, and an age in another way... Flanagan and the Lampost The Novena, some Drama and Midge Ure in Galway Fiddling at Longford Donkey Innovat.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Poem A Poem

A Poem by Sean Allen