My reflection!

My reflection!

A Poem by Tom
"

Thanks to a prompt from Rose, I decided to have a go as well and enter Angi's self-portrait poetry competition....

"

I wasn’t going to bother until Rose suggested to me

enter the competition through the writers-cafeteria'e

And as the moderator and judge is my cafe-friend Angi,

I decided to give it a go and enter some lines, of self-portraiture poetry!

 

Please understand the initial reason, for my perceived anxiety

I am not a beautiful woman who has perfect symmetry

Nor a handsome beau dressed in the latest fashion, from a trendy haberdashery

Alas no longer privy am I, to such designer luxury!

 

As middle age approaches, I’ll never again see forty-three

I’m getting a little baggie in places, taut muscles used to be

The last time I peered into a mirror, was around 02 or perhaps 03

And decided not to do so again, as I did not really like what was looking back at me!

 

So when I pass a mirror, I ignore it absolutely

I’m long since past those youthful days of gelling hair and high vanity

But please don’t fret or worry your good-self, about my sanity,

As when I look into my son’s blue eyes, I see my own reflection smiling back at me!

© 2013 Tom


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

And that is where true happiness lies...as we age, as we lose form, we still see ourselves as we were in our children's eyes. We live in them, through them...

I like descriptive and way in which you narrated your aging experience and with humor. It made for a great read. I kind of identify with you, because I am about getting there too.



Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

10 Years Ago

Thank you Divya !



Reviews

A splendid read and write from a great poet. Good luck in the contest...Bravo

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

10 Years Ago

Thank you Sami...(I'll need it)!
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

You are welcome...:)
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

^^~^^ :).................
"But please don’t fret or worry your good-self, about my sanity,
As when I look into my son’s blue eyes, I see my own reflection smiling back at me!"
I understand the line above. Mirrors have different purposes with old age and less time. We find beauty in the faces and laughter of the children. I like the way you directed the reader to the very good ending. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

10 Years Ago

And thank you for reading & reviewing..
Such a light shined upon yourself with this piece. For me, the last stanza was the most hard hitting, and the last line truly illustrates the "meaning" in it all. For what is life if not ourselves in the reflection of someone that we truly love and are willing to die for. A beautifully writen self portrait.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

10 Years Ago

Exactly Girl Friday, & thank-you for reading..
This is a sweet portrait of a happy-go-lucky guy...getting a bit older, and maybe a bit paunchy...but still happy.
Could it be that the secret of youth is actually the love of a dog??

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

10 Years Ago

Their vitality is infectious, thanks Angel..
What a very charming self portrait, Tom. One thing you'll never have to worry about is a frown line. Great job!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

10 Years Ago

What are they Joyce ?
Joyce S. Greene

10 Years Ago

Just be thankful you don't know, Tom. Happy Sunday!
Tom

10 Years Ago

lol...you too Joyce and thanks for the nice comments!
Oh Tom! You have captured yourself with your usual twist of humor and you give us such a wonderful glimpse into who you are. It certainly matters not what we look like on the outside, but who we are on the inside and how we regard others, but I rather think you are holding back on us with the description of yourself. Well, after all - look what you say to us in the very last line about your son's blue eyes smiling back at you!! Blue eyes, a fellow who loves life and sports, is content to be himself in middle age, though he chooses not to look in the mirror, nor use hair gel, and designer suits but ordinary, comfortable is sooooo good! You sound just delightful to me!
Thanks you so much for sharing this glimpse of "YOU"!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

10 Years Ago

Oh thank you so much Sheila, you are a lovely lady !
Children ARE the future, and we - the shades of their past.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

10 Years Ago

So true Chris and eloquently expressed !
Wow! This is so amazing, Tom. Great rhyming and wordplay...and funny ,too. The ending is best...the revelation that you're the person with good looks after all.

Sometimes when we don't like what's happening on us, we don't want to see it as it is. But then, we will realize some things are inevitable in this life so we don't have any choice but to accept them all.
Good thing is that, looking at our "products", we will still appreciate who we are, and find contentment and happiness, for we did our best in our lives.

Brilliant piece, Tom. I like this so much.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

10 Years Ago

A beautiful and most succinct review Dhaye, thank you so much !
That last line was brilliant! I loved it all though :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

10 Years Ago

Thank you Mike !
So you haven't looked in the mirror in ten years then? Well, from where I sit, you are a very talented poet....and what you look like on the outside is actually not all that important to me. I liked the self-deprecating humor in this line "I’m getting a little baggie in places, taut muscles used to be" Great introspection. I liked the way you chose to end this....in the eyes of your son, you will always be a handsome, young, wonderful dad! Lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


Tom

10 Years Ago

You've summed my poem up beautifully Lydia, thank you indeed !

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

918 Views
34 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 14, 2013
Last Updated on November 27, 2013

Author

Tom
Tom

United Kingdom



About
Forget me not, poet friends 😍 more..

Writing
Incels .. Incels ..

A Poem by Tom



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Friend Friend

A Poem by Saumya


Veils Veils

A Poem by Chris Shaw