' A murder of crows '

' A murder of crows '

A Poem by Tom
"

Do crows really need to be destroyed so indiscriminately?

"
Bang!
The crack of shotgun, shatters the dawn
thunderous throng, feathers flutter
hapless crow, unceremoniously, falls in gutter

Bang!
There again, this bright summer morn
now a grey pigeon, falls into water
innocent victim of wanton slaughter

Bang!
Another black crow, cutdown forlorn
ever relentless, pull on trigger
ego inflated, enhancing vigour

Bang!
So it continues, on and on
bedraggled birds, dying or dead
because one man, sick in the head!

Bang!
O' Lord, though my soul is torn
I pray, the innocent be spared
and bloodthirsty men, eternally interred!

© 2017 Tom


Author's Note

Tom
Please, be as subjective as you like !

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This poem is so sad. It reminded me of those ignorant time when royal men and men of blue blood went to hunting parties and brought back the heads of hapless wild beasts as trophies or stood and posed with one foot on the poor carcasses. When will man learn. Poor birds!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

6 Years Ago

Yes Divya, your comparison is exactly my poem's purpose, thank you my ffriend rise!
DIVYA

6 Years Ago

You are welcome Tom. Your writings full of compassion and emotion are so appreciated.



Reviews

Very resplendently written the pain of birds. Thanks for writing

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

6 Years Ago

Thank you again good Sir for your welcome visit!
I personally lean into the Native American way of thinking, that you only kill for that which you need, the cycle of life giving life as God intended. To kill without need for the sake of senseless hate and greed makes absolutely no sense to me. I have crows in my treetops and in my yard every day. I can't imagine killing them. While their "Caw! Caw!" can be a bit annoying at times, I wouldn't take that away for anything. They are actually quite fascinating to watch. I love the communion that they share, how I can throw pieces of bread across the yard and one will see it and call for the others to come. I love to watch as they strut across the yard, reminding me of a priest dressed in black with his hands clasped behind his back as he walks deep in thought. I love how, when seeing food, they will move with stealth, slowly approaching, then place a foot on the food, holding it down, and then packing and pulling, perhaps to gather and fly away. How the sun shines a sheen upon their black feathers is always so enthralling. They really are a fascinating lot to watch. It's a shame to think of someone doing this to anyone to anything.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

6 Years Ago

Thank you Linda for your judicious review of my poem, and indeed, crows are fascinating to watch, ei.. read more
Capital punishment may be banned, but killing to protect can always be submitted as a " legitimate" justification. Culling, fox hunting and war are prime examples - but in the end there is never a positive, lasting result.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Tom

6 Years Ago

Yes indeed Norman, it's an unpleasant and distasteful business in whatever guise or excuse and thank.. read more
Whether it be a flock of geese or a murder of crows, the indiscriminate and unnecessary taking of any life just for the sake of it, or for so called sport is abhorrent. You done a darn good job of drawing attention to a very important issue here Tom, Amen

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

6 Years Ago

Knew you'd see it my way...thanks again Neville!!
Yes! I am totally with you in your wonderful prayer. Love the repetition of "Bang!" as the first line of each verse. I can hear the gun and see the poor birds fall. Inane and criminal "slaughter" of the innocents by an "ego-inflated...blood thirsty" lunatic. I so agree. Those kind of people should be jailed for their crimes. Thanks for this powerful poem!



Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

6 Years Ago

And thank you Annette for your wonderful review!
Annette Pisano-Higley

6 Years Ago

You are most welcome Tom!:)
Those bloodthirsty men do the same thing to people too.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

6 Years Ago

Spot on my friend, and thank you for visiting!
Wow.. I feel the same....... Don't think the Lord pays attention to these creatures, but I do.... I hate target practice killing...or any other lame reason these types have for slaughter, that's not for eating... Grrrrr.

Not sure if Crows have a purpose .. Crows also damage crops and eat livestock food, so farmers and ranchers don't like them for financial reasons...
Not sure about the Man in your Poem, or if he has any reasoning at all..... maybe just hateful !!!!

I feed birds every day...don't think I'd feed a crow..lol.................:)........

Interesting..with a HEART !!!

Jazzy

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

6 Years Ago

Thank you Jazzy, yes they can become pests when numbers proliferate, but to cut them down so indiscr.. read more
J. J.  Nightingale

6 Years Ago

Right you are..♥..........and You are welcome....J.J.
Yes indeed. When it happens by these merciless minds, noble souls should feel the compassion and cry aloud to stop this crazy mayhem on the innocent and vulnerable of humans and birds. Your message is so relatable that people should heed and stop to ponder upon...Excellent, sir Tom...:)..............

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

6 Years Ago

Exactly Sami, and thank you for your encouraging words!
Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

You are welcome....:).....................
Applause... hear, hear, sez I!

Can't understand people shooting at creatures that merely sit on boughs or tootle around singing, squawking or whatever, minding their own avian business. Boredom, ignorance and a mean heart often pulls the trigger. Paused to calm.

Not only do I loathe the above, but also, in spite of being countryside born, can't stand the city types waiting to bag a few game birds during a day's 'jolly'. Men used to be sent to Australia for that years ago. Okay, will stop. Great writing, neatly, elegantly laid.. inspiringly sad as sad.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

6 Years Ago

Yes, sent to Australia, Van Diemen's Land was the primary penal colony in Australia. Thanks Emma for.. read more
Killing for killing's sake....never have understood that. I wonder what drives people to do this. The birds have done nothing to harm the people who shoot them. Why? Not really sure why they do it. Heartfelt emotion here. Lydi**

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

6 Years Ago

Yes indeed Lydia, felt like going across the field and shoving his gun 'you know where' but then I'd.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

923 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 11, 2017
Last Updated on September 16, 2017

Author

Tom
Tom

United Kingdom



About
Forget me not, poet friends 😍 more..

Writing
Incels .. Incels ..

A Poem by Tom



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Couplet~ Couplet~

A Poem by lightsong