Playing The Hero

Playing The Hero

A Story by Trekkie
"

He mouthed "I'm sorry," before he condemned me. Then there was blood and pain and then a lot more blood.

"

He mouthed "I'm sorry," before he condemned me. Then there was blood and pain and then a lot more blood. He mouthed "I'm sorry," before he did it, though. There was regret in his eyes and the sharp pain of -- not so deep as betrayal, I think, more like shock. Maybe a bit like envy, maybe a bit like sorrow.

Later, after I had gotten suspended and he'd been labeled a hero, there was the bit of the story no one ever cared about. Later, he sort of kidnapped, sort of rescued me, and took me into the mountains, where it's always warm if you have a fire and someone to keep in your heart. He yelled to me over the roaring of his motorcycle that 'It's safe up in the mountains. No one cares there. No one will care!' He looked beautiful -- yes, beautiful -- in the dying sunlight, with his hair thrown back from his face, grinning. In that moment I sort of loved him. Sort of. Maybe a little. Like he made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Like I wouldn't be cold again.

He apologized later but he didn't need my forgiveness, and I didn't need to know he was sorry. He told me before he condemned me.

Now he's a hero, and I'm the missing child, but no one will ever search for me, because I was condemned by the hero. But he said he was sorry, and I kind of love him.

Because he also rescued me, but sort of saved me. That's what heroes do, after all. Save people, right? Like, before he came, I was always cold. But now I'm warm again, because he saved me.

Now he's the hero, and I'm gone. But I'll never be alone.

Because here in the mountains, it's safe here. It's always warm here, as long as you have a fire and someone to keep in your heart. So I'll keep the fire going, because I know he'll come back, because he's the hero -- my hero, even, if you want to say that -- and I have someone to keep in my heart.
 

© 2009 Trekkie


Author's Note

Trekkie
Mmmm...I was thinking of writing a sequel. What do you think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I don't understand what's going on. I think the writing is good, though. Is this a piece in a set of pieces? If this is a standalone thing I think you should add more context and show us what's going on exactly. Other than that, I really do think the writing is good, and it does intrigue me, so I want to read more, and that's always a good thing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

YES SEQUEL!! Love it!!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I liked it. I know what that feeling is like-to be ambushed with all opposite emotions that it gets confusing. Or maybe this isn't about that. But whatever, write on.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I don't understand what's going on. I think the writing is good, though. Is this a piece in a set of pieces? If this is a standalone thing I think you should add more context and show us what's going on exactly. Other than that, I really do think the writing is good, and it does intrigue me, so I want to read more, and that's always a good thing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

290 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 1, 2009

Author

Trekkie
Trekkie

About
I'm a convoluted trekkie who spends too much time procrastinating. I can see the Northern Lights from my house in the winter and I've memorized startlingly large portions of King Henry IV, part one. more..

Writing
No title No title

A Screenplay by Trekkie


Muet Muet

A Story by Trekkie