One More Drink

One More Drink

A Story by Treo LeGigeo
"

“You want to get a drink?”

"

“You want to get a drink?”

 

Six words. Six little words casually spoken by an innocent man without any idea of their implications.

 

 

“You want to get a drink?”

 

It was only a reunion with an old friend; it was not supposed to become a battlefield. One moment I’m strolling down the street chatting light-heartedly with a mate from school, the next my world is threatening to crash down around me.

 

 

“You want to get a drink?”

 

To him it may mean nothing but a simple boy’s night out, but to me it means much, much more.

 

 

"You want to get a drink?" 

Anxiety, depression, obsession, not caring what I did, who I hurt, how much I lost as long it got me a pint. Bystanders attacked and robbed when cash ran low, barmen beaten and stabbed after refusing to give any more, and every last cent, possession, and shred of dignity sacrificed.


"You want to get a drink?"

Often I woke in pain, sometimes in strange places with no memory of how I got there, sometimes in ER. It was terrifying, horrifying, and killing me, but I couldn't stop.


"You want to get a drink?" 

And even when I finally did, it never quite left me.


"You want to get a drink?" 

They say half the battle is lost with the first sip. That the taste can never be forgotten, that the thirst and the craving never disappear. Those six words, and I am suddenly very aware of the dryness of my throat, the longing in my belly, the need in my body.


"You want to get a drink?" 

But I also remember what I've gained. The steady job I finally attained after years of unreliability, the spacious house I only just finished paying off the previous month, the wonderful son who admires me and looks up to me, and the beautiful wife who loves me despite everything I'd done and was the one to first help me stop.



“No thanks, I don’t drink.”

 

Half may be lost, but half is still being fought. There will be no end, no final battle; I’ll never stop wanting just one more drink.

 

But I have too much to lose now, and if I have to fight for the rest of my life, I will do it.

© 2013 Treo LeGigeo


Author's Note

Treo LeGigeo
Bit of an experiment, nothing like anything I've written before.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Many individuals deal with addiction, alchohol, drugs, whatever...it's impulsive, can take over lives until, without a fix, you find yourself doing anything to get it, like a (wo)man possessed. The battle doesn't stop at the last drink, or the final upheavel of everything you've worked towards becoming and obtaining... this story puts those aftershocks into words, where one innocent line can cause so much unresolved damage. Very beautifully written, I think.
- Kiyo

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Original structure, very poetic.

Posted 12 Years Ago


creativite gusto that speaks of a subject that I am well familiar with.. great and curious write here..

Posted 13 Years Ago


It's a new style to me, I really like it. Keep it up :]

Posted 13 Years Ago


i really like this :)


Posted 13 Years Ago


I really liked this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Addiction is a continual fight, no matter what that addiction may be, you have portrayed this really well in this short but hard hitting story well done

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wonderfull, it captures the subject well and is just the perfect length. I really love this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think you capture the subject extremely well.

Posted 13 Years Ago


A good write and an important message to send out there... well done!

Posted 13 Years Ago


i think it was pretty good. nice and detailed and just the right length.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3806 Views
47 Reviews
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on December 25, 2010
Last Updated on June 13, 2013
Tags: Alcohol, Alcoholism, Drunk, Drinking, Alcoholic
Previous Versions

Author

Treo LeGigeo
Treo LeGigeo

Sydney, NSW, Australia



About
I'm from Australia, so some people may find that I spell things differently. I love writing and have had a couple of publications of short stories and novellas under a pseudonym. I started .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Somnium Somnium

A Poem by Treo LeGigeo


Why Why

A Poem by So Sick of Love