Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Trustthefoxx121




"I just want to say thank you, thank you for forgiving me and giving me the strength to forgive. Also, thank you for giving him a second chance."


These were the words I am going to say to Him, when I see His face, when this is all over. I don’t really know if He is there or if this is all made up rubbish to make me feel better about dying, but as I lay here amongst the rubble and smoke, lying on his still body, it makes you wonder about things like this. But lying here makes one realize that things can go from bad to horrible real quick to where every word becomes a possible prayer to someone whom you don’t even know if they exist or not.


 This all started over a year ago mid-way through my sophomore year in school. More specifically, it all started when he showed up in my psychology of relationships class a week before my birthday. I was sitting at the third table from the front in the further left column. I was working on a survey in which we made every Thursday for a small grade. Basically, we were making up something stupid for people to do in the out of date, low budget, school newspaper that came out every Saturday. It's a wonder they didn't get rid of it back in 2150 when newspapers went to tablets to save paper. But either way, I was working on my survey that was asking the reader about their moral thoughts of today's society.


The door clicked shut, I must have been too into my work to hear it open. Our professor made a jerk comment, the same one he’s made to us on the first day of class about how names didn’t matter in a room full of sixty plus people. This was true, there where thirty other tables in the room with three seats to each. All but one was full, the one next to me which wasn't a surprise. The empty chair in the middle was also next to a girl name Shaila. The poor girl was made an outcast after she tried to make our co-ed dorms single sexed. The other students didn’t take too much of a liking to that because let’s face it, they are all a bunch of lusty young adults wanting the flesh, but who am I to judge. I looked up from my survey and saw a tall dark haired boy walking toward the empty seat next to me. I lowered my gaze back down to my work to ignore his presence. He dropped his bag next to my chair and sat down in his seat. I felt his eyes upon me, so I slowly looked upward toward him.


"Morals of today's society, tough subject.'' He read off my survey.


"Not really, it's simply your opinion. Doesn't have to be so complicated." I replied.


"Good point, but there is a chance that your opinion could be made into something more complicated.” I looked at him with the same confused expression he had. He looked over at Shaila, she made quick eye contact then turned back to her survey, making her shaggy, black hair fall preventing anyone from seeing her face. He looked back at me, “that didn't make much sense did it?" I shook my head no. "What's your name?" he asked. I put down my tablet pin because I knew I wasn't going to finish that survey any time soon.


"Vania." I replied.


"Just Vania, no last name?"


"Wake- Anderley." As if he really wanted to know. He nodded his head in approval.


Normally people can tell a person’s social status with their last names. Since I have two that means I'm considered middle class. I'm not rich, but I'm not dirt poor either. This first started back in the 2100’s when the last royal family reigned, back where there was actual individual countries. The queen had a baby and wanted it to have not only the royal last name, but her own maiden name and the maiden name of the queen before her. The trend caught on with the wealthier people until it became what it is today. The upper class does what the royal family does, but they have more names to choose from now. The middle class chooses one name from the father’s side and one from the mother’s side, and the lower class only gets one and it’s usually from the father’s side. When a man and a woman get married, the woman always drops her last name and takes the man’s. In the situation of increasing a social class, one may create a new last name. If there is a situation where your social class is demoted then you must drop a name, which is normally followed by humiliation.


"And yours?" I’d figured I would ask him.


"Kenis." He said with a bright white smile.


"No last names?" He shook his head no. My eyes widened, "What? No last names? At all?"


"Nope.'' I gave him a puzzled look.


“Well, that's odd." I told him with a straight face. He smiled again.


"Well that's your opinion, isn't it?"


The class drug by and I paid no attention to what the professor had to teach... Okay, I lied, he was talking about attachment styles. But I actually paid more attention to Kenis then to Dr. Egg-Head. Thoughts were running through my head about how odd he was. No last names yet he looked like the typical upper class.


Even when you don't know the last names of a person, you can still tell what class a person is in. Kenis had short, thick, dark hair that had the wild, bed head style. His eyes were green, the color of money; another upper class trait. His clothes shouted upper class with a navy blue sweater with a white collar shirt underneath and on his left middle finger was a platinum ring. All citizens wear a ring with a number etched on the inside which means you are this number in the population. My number is 3784572-984 on a middle class gold ring. Lower class people have normally copper rings and upper class people have platinum.


His body from the waist up was fit, not scary muscular, just fit which meant he didn't have to work for the SCI's. SCI stands for Scientific Correctional Institute. The SCI was originally designed for prisoners to work off their debts to society for a certain amount of time given in the sentence. The job ranges from simple gardening for the agriculture industry to building high tech machines that is supposed to make life “better”. The Scientists, however, saw the amount of work being done in such a little amount of time, they opened it up to the lower class so they can work and get benefits, such as food, in return. Kenis wasn’t super skinny either. Middle class people, like me, are normally very skinny because we don’t have the good high paying jobs like the Upper class and we don’t get the added benefits for working for the SCIs. We have to pull long shifts or even have two jobs to get by. No, Kenis looked like he could afford to stay in shape whether it was eating healthy or working out. Despite lack of names, he was upper class.


The more I glanced over at him, the more I noticed even more odd traits within him. His skin had a tan/olive tint to it whereas most people, besides lower class, had a healthy pale tint to their skin. His hands looked hollow; you could almost see every bone. Lastly, his hair seemed to have a grey glaze to it like you could tell he treats it with something that is not the normal gel substance used for sculpting.


"Okay class, scan your ring on the way out and do the assigned work by next class," stated Dr. Egg-Head with little expression. Everyone stood up and shuffled to the door where a little column stood with a scanner on it for you to tap your ring on. As I got closer to the door, I heard a low voice behind me.


"So I guess I'll see you next class?" It was him. I nodded my head.


"Yeah, okay."


Luckily, that was my last class of the day, so I went back to my quad to meet up with my roommate, Maxi, to go out to dinner. Our quad is in building C on the second floor where there are four other quads. The quad consist of a kitchen and living area with two doors to lead to the single bed rooms that also have their own full bathrooms. I walked into the quad to find it quiet which was a usual sign that Maxi was not there. When she was there, a blender would be going due to her smoothie fetish and she would be loudly singing to some 1980's pop song. When she wasn't in the quad, there was only one reason, other than classes which it was too late for, she would be gone. Let's just say that Maxi is a very beautiful girl, but not very virtuous.


You see, Maxi had just turned 20 three months earlier and since the year 2340, when a girl turns 20, she loses her "Plug". This so called "Plug" was created by a scientist after there was a population overload crisis. The scientists decided the cause of the crisis was from too many teenage pregnancies. So the "Plug" was created to prevent anything from going in and was placed a few days after birth. It's programmed to fall out during the first cycle following the 20th birthday.


So ever since Maxi lost it, she has been losing it with her 26 year old boyfriend, Terin. She would occasionally run off for a day or two with no notice, but she was normally in a good mood when she returned.


 I wasn’t too concerned about Maxi’s absentness until a week had passed since the day I met Kenis. I understand that I didn't normally keep in contact with people as much as I should, but Maxi and I were good with things like that and she would have told me if she wasn't coming back. I decided to go to our quad leader, Noir, to see if she knew anything. I went upstairs to her quad and knocked on the door. I heard some loud shuffling sounds then some girly giggles before Noir answered the door. I could tell by her oversized, light blue button down shirt that was unbuttoned to show off her lacey bra and lack of pants with smudged red lipstick that she was “entertaining” a guest.


"Hey Noir, sorry to interrupt but have you heard from Maxi lately?" Noir looked surprised and somewhat embarrassed at the fact that I was at her door at that given time. She buttoned up the shirt at little more and then ruffled her messy, blonde, bed hair with her right hand, sporting a platinum ring.


"Oh hello there, Vania; who are you asking about?" She said with an embarrassed smile.She had a habit of saying your name with every statement as if she was reminding you what it was. I found it a little irritating.


"Maxi, you know my roommate. I haven't heard from her in a week." Noir gave me a puzzled look.


"Vania, I don't know who you are talking about. Who is Maxi?" I was confused.


"Oh come on, you know Maxi, she has lived with me since the beginning of the year." Noir lowered her perfectly shaped eye brows in confusion, I could tell she was beginning to think I was crazy.


"Um, you haven't had a roommate all year. Are you okay?" To be honest, I didn't know if I was okay, I didn't know what was happening. "Vania, you should go lie down, you don't look so well." Look so well was an understatement for how my insides were feeling. I could have thrown up, but I didn't. To prevent any more crazy thoughts from running through Noir's mind, I just nodded and turned to leave. "Oh, by the way, happy birthday," she yelled as I was walking down the stairs.


I had completely forgotten that it was my birthday. Then I realized that my parents had not called me to wish me happy birthday today when they normally would have done that first thing in the morning. I figured they had tried to call me after I was already in the classroom buildings; there isn’t very good reception in those buildings so the call probably didn’t connect. If that was the case they were probably waiting for me to call them once I got out of class, so I decided to call them once I got back to my quad.


I went into my room and retrieved my tablet from my bag, put it on call setting, and dialed home. The screen went black with three white dots in the center that brightened and dimmed one by one which meant that it was dialing. Then a woman popped up on the screen in front of a white background with her bright green eyes frozen open, her blonde hair tied back, and wearing a blue sweater with a white collar shirt underneath; typical upper class. She began to speak, her voice sounded automated as if recorded.


"I'm sorry," she said with a chipper smile," but this connection is no longer available. Please wait and try again later." I hung up the message, waited a minute, and tried again. The black screen with the dots came up, then the same woman popped up with the same message. I hung up and tried three more times, same message every time. I didn't know what was going on and where everyone was.


I was then startled by a knock on the door making me almost drop my tablet. I placed my tablet on my bed and went to open the door to find my younger sister standing there; at least I thought it was her. Her brown hair was now blonde and the brown from her hazel eyes was eliminated with bright green. She was wearing her normal outfit though, pair of khakis with a pink button up collar shirt under a navy blue scarf with plain black flats as her shoes, normal clothes of a middle class.


"Alex, is that you?" She stepped inside and hugged me with panic.


"Please help me, I don't remember anything."


I lightly pushed her apart from me and rushed to close the door. I didn't want anyone to know Alex was here; outside people aren't allowed in final education schools, not even families. How on earth she was able to get past the security, I don't really know, but it's probably because she looked like an upper class and the security is normally easier on upper class, they probably didn't even ask to see her ring.


"Go take a seat, make sure the blinds are closed on the windows, and I'll help you." I said quietly to her. She walked to my messy bed and sat down then leaned over to close the blinds on the small window next to my bed, the only window in the room. I locked the door then walked over to my desk and took the chair, turned it to face the bed, then sat down. "Okay, tell me what happened. What do you know?"


She looked down at the floor in fierce concentration, "I remember waking up in a restaurant a few Unions away not knowing how I got there, but knowing I had to find you. I remember I am your sister, Alex, and you are Vania. I knew you lived here and exactly how to get here. It took me a couple of days, but I made it. I know all of my basic knowledge like how to read, write, and talk, but that's all I know"


"You don't know where Mom and Dad are?" I asked.


"I don't know anyone by the name of Mom and Dad, I'm sorry." With that reply, I began to smell something a little fishy. However, it did make my heart sink a little. What happened to Alex and where were my parents?


"How did you get here?"


"I got on a train," I was puzzled. Underage train riding was banned after large amounts of children were running away and taking trains places because it was cheap, never to be seen again.


"You are too young to get on a train by yourself, didn't they scan your ring before..." I stopped what I was saying when I looked down at her hand and saw that her ring was gone. "Alex, where is your ring?"


"I don't know what you are talking about." She stated. She then proceeded with an Alex move that I was only able to notice.


"You're lying to me," I said sternly. Alex looked at me nervously. "You rolled your eyes and placed your tongue on the top of your teeth with your mouth closed. You only do that when you are lying. Now, tell me the truth." Alex sat up a little straighter.


"Mom and Dad are dead. They were killed by Scientists and they promised to spare me and make me into an upper class if I promised to kill you..." My stomach dropped as she reached into her pocket. In her hand, she pulled out a small gun, "... And here I am." She aimed and fired a silent bullet; she missed my head and hit the wall behind me. I fell into the floor to dodge the bullet but quickly got up and ran and tackled her on the bed before she could load the gun again.


I held her down but she kept trying to aim the gun at me. I pushed her hand away from me as she fired another bullet that hit the wall nearest the door. It was probably a good thing I took that apprehending class a year before. Punching her in the nose, I made her immediately drop the gun and grab her bleeding nose. Reaching toward my pillow, I grabbed my tablet and hit her on the side of the head with it, knocking her out.


I picked up my tablet to call someone to come and take her away only to realize that my tablet was now broken due to the hit. Then I realized that I couldn't call law enforcement any way. The gun that she used was silent, only law enforcement use that gun on sneak attacks on wanted felons. Still, I didn't want her to drown in her own blood so I went ahead and sat her up, but when I did, I noticed a blinking red light coming out of the finger where her ring was supposed to go. I had seen that before, it was a tracker. They were tracking her to make sure she kept her promise. I contemplated my options of how to deal with this situation. Simply running away was my first option, but then there is the chance she could still find me. I could have also cut off the finger that contained the tracker, but then she could have gone back and either get a new tracker or the Scientists could just kill her.

As a tug entered my heart as if a hand was wringing the blood out of it, I realized what I had to do. Although I knew this may destroy me for the rest of my life, I had to do it. I got off my bed and picked the gun up off the floor. This is the only way I cocked the lever back, aimed toward my sister's heart, and pulled the trigger.






© 2014 Trustthefoxx121


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

290 Views
Added on July 22, 2014
Last Updated on July 27, 2014





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5