Another day in paradise

Another day in paradise

A Story by Alex
"

just came out that way

"

Jesus took a look at his fridge, nothing but mustered and beer; “not on an empty stomach “he thought. He had multiplied them at his roommate's party to please Miriam; he just loved to see her smile. Now the bottles just took up all the empty space. On his way out he spotted Frank, in his underwear passed out on the couch they had gotten from good will. It was an ugly thing, but the memory of how they had lugged it up 3 blocks and up the stairs of the apartment complex, still filled his heart with laughter. What should have taken them maybe 45 minutes tops became a 12 hour journey, with long rest periods and a multitude of conversations on the way. "This thing has its own brand of magic ", he thought remembering the people who stopped to help and ended up sitting on it in the middle of the road , discussing the mysteries and tribulations of life itself .

Frank- mouth wide open, snoring vigorously, in his superman underwear which had seen better days. His friend and the only one who had taken him in a year ago without ever asking for anything in return. Jesus turned around, getting the full frontal view . Franks skin full of Goosebumps in the cool morning air prompted the first random act of kindness in what would be yet another eventful day. Gently Jesus pulled a blanket over his friend and left the building. Hitting the street the morning air brought an array of contradicting smells to his senses. “ Almost overwhelming" he thought, yet one of the simple miracles of incarnation that humans tend to overlook. He crossed the street past the graffiti with the words -Jesus loves you -, to get some cigarettes from Kahn who owned the corner store. “do I really?” he thought" love them ..." Love means so many things these days...

Checking for change in his pocket, he entered Khans. He had found that cigarettes were a good a conversation starter as any, so he took up the habit with ease. "Another nail in my cross "he thought chuckling to himself. Kahn greeted him with his usual open smile "pack of Newport's and coffee I presume "his ascent still heavy with the spices of his native Pakistan. "How did you know, you must be a psychic "Jesus laughed. "Yeshua these things will kill you, I'm Telling you man "Kahn replied with a grave face, hiding a grin. "Nah humanity, will get me first " Jesus answered smiling, shoving a pile of coins over the counter. Taking the change Kahn looked up. "you’re too thin boy, you really need to eat more. Why don't you come over for dinner tomorrow. I know bob would love to have you. Bob was Kahn's Husband, Jesus and his friends had been the sole participants at their wedding when Both Kahn and bob's parents refused to endorse it. Taking his coffee, with extra sugar and cream ; God he was a sucker for sweets. Jesus replied "I'll think about it". Waving back to Kahn he left the store. Since he had healed Bob from cancert things had not been the same. The constant look of endless gratitude made Jesus uncomfortable. "I just wish things could stay the same "he thought with regret.

Sipping his coffee he walked down the street, passing the alleyway, now empty, where the girls would be waiting for customers ay night. Janet was his favourite with her big heart and pony grin. She had told him she originally had wanted to become an Accountant, since she was good at numbers. "That's how it goes sometimes." He thought, planning to check up on them later for a few laughs and conversation.

At the corner HE was waiting, in a tattered coat and Tangled Hair. "Michael "Jesus acknowledged him with a nod. "Your father sends greetings” the Angel retorted his voice booming opening the usual unspoken conversation about the way Jesus decided to do things. "Tell him I love him and that I am on it ". Patting Michael on the shoulder he proceeded on his path." Your Mother Misses, you, give her a ring!" Michael called after him." I know “Jesus said and kept walking.

His mother a psychologist and the epitome of Jewish motherhood, had left the usual worried messages on his machine. Guess it was time to call her back, it had been five weeks. She had wanted him to become a rabbi or a carpenter like his stepdad. His choices bewildered her. It was what it was. Jesus stopped for a moment revelling in the scents, the honking horns and other sounds that built the landscape of this city his home. With a mental shrug he dispensed the ennui and lurking melancholy that often took hold of him. "Another day in paradise "he thought as he walked toward the rest of yet another day of possibilities.

© 2022 Alex


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

343 Views
Added on September 10, 2010
Last Updated on April 19, 2022
Tags: Jesus, life, beer

Author

Alex
Alex

High Point, NC



About
I am Alexandra. One has called me many things- - I might be all these things or none of them, it does not really matter .Your opinion of me will change with whatever expectation I will or will not ful.. more..

Writing