Blushing, With a Smile

Blushing, With a Smile

A Poem by Ryan

Knock

The metallic rap of knuckles echoes through the still Tuesday night. I remember the last time I did this: blushing, with a smile on my face, heart threatening to burst from my chest. The way her pupils shrank at the simple request to shoot a round of pool. “I’m busy with something, maybe some other time.” Not even a half an hour for an old friend.

Knock

I remember the first time I met you: lunch last week. There was a familiar glint in your eyes, an inviting shyness to your manner. The way you would speak to me, as if there weren’t enough air left in your lungs to propel the words across the table. As if it almost wasn’t worth the effort to let them leave your lips. As if you were ashamed of what you had to say. Nothing too complicated about you, something nice for a change.

Knock

I straighten my tie, make sure the daisies I picked for you haven’t wilted yet. That usual sense of falling gone, replaced with the feeling of the ground securely fastened to the bottom of my feet. Hands are dry, heart beating in time with a jazz ballad. I hear you turn the door handle, and I do my best to look excited. You answer the door blushing, with a smile on your face.

© 2012 Ryan


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Beautiful wording.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Nice and full of that innocent romance we too often forget these days.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I love the story told with this, it wasn't overwhelming but it was just enough to portray those first date feelings.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love this poem, it's properly one of my favorite on the site so far. I love how there is a story with it, and I can feel the feeling in your words. It is really amazing, I can't wait to read more of your poems.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a really interesting piece! I feel like it could maybe be expanded a little? Still, the emotions attached the the piece are fantastic. Very well written!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

237 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 4, 2012
Last Updated on April 4, 2012

Author

Ryan
Ryan

About
College student interested in poetry, but too shy to admit it. My poetry is a little dark sometimes, and other times it is very lighthearted. All of the poems I have up are here to be reviewed. Ev.. more..

Writing
(Un)Ashamed (Un)Ashamed

A Poem by Ryan


Pub Run Pub Run

A Poem by Ryan