Manhattan (Act I)

Manhattan (Act I)

A Stage Play by Umbreomancer
"

Act I of a musical of Imagine Dragons songs based on the story of the United States Manhattan Project. Technically Historic nonfiction, but artistic license has been taken with some events and dates.

"

Manhattan

A Musical Inspired by the Music of Imagine Dragons


Cast:

Major General Leslie Groves

Professor J. Robert Oppenheimer

Jean Tatlock

Katherine Harrison Oppenheimer

Major General Brehon Somervell

Brigadier General Wilhelm Styer

General Douglas MacArthur

Peter Oppenheimer

Katherine (Toni) Oppenheimer

Harry, Kenneth, Linus, and Oppenheimer’s other Berkeley Students

Assorted Manhattan Project workers

Citizens of Japan


Act I


Scene I

(Scene: an office in the Pentagon. There is a desk upstage left but there is no one behind it. Generals Wilhelm Styer and Brehon Somervell enter from stage right, deep in discussion.)

Styer: Are you sure he’ll be up to it? Groves isn’t the kind of man who enjoys working state-side.

Somervell: Well, Marshall wants him, so we’ll take him. But tell me, why wouldn’t he want to work on something that will change the world?
Styer: (scoffs) It could find a way to turn Frank Sinatra into a woman willing to sleep with him and he wouldn’t take it if it weren’t an assignment out in the field.

(They both laugh)

Somervell: Well, I gotta give that one some credit, but in my opinion, if someone doesn’t enjoy his work, then why is he doing it?

Styer: Oh, patriotism, scientific progress, all sorts of reasons, but not one of them will explain General Leslie Groves. Oh! Here he comes; let’s hope he didn’t hear us.

(Enter General Leslie Groves)

Groves: Afternoon, Gentlemen, I was told you had an assignment for me?

Somervell: Yes, we do, General, but before we explain it, we’d like to tell you that it wasn’t our idea.

Groves: Excuse me?

Styer: (Elbows Somervell) It’s just that it’s not the assignment you were hoping for.

Groves: I don’t understand.

Styer: We know how much you enjoy working on the battlefield, but sometimes America needs men who work for other things. President Roosevelt himself created this Project, and we want you to head the design and testing divisions of it. You can pick your own headquarters and everything!

Groves: (Getting increasingly angry but trying to keep it in check) This… Project. What exactly is it?

Somervell: You’ve heard of the Manhattan Project?

Groves: Somewhat. I haven’t paid much attention to it.

(Music Intro: “Tiptoe”)

Styer: The Manhattan Project’s aim is to use the information given to us by Albert Einstein and Leó Szilárd to create the atomic bomb before the Germans do. It’s of the utmost importance and we wanted only the very best to work on it. It’s a compliment that we’re selecting you.

Groves: I’m sure it is, but it doesn’t change the fact that I don’t want it! I need to be out with my men, fighting the Nazis with guns, not sitting in some hidden base creating a bomb.

Styer: It'll be something that will change the world.

Groves: It could make Abraham Lincoln a woman who wants to sleep with me and I wouldn't take it.

Somervell: Not Frank Sinatra?

Groves: What?

Somervell: Nothing. But think about it, Leslie. This way, you can fight the Nazis without ever revealing yourself! They’ll never know what hit them!

In the morning light let your roots take flight

We’ll watch you fall above like a vicious dove

They won’t see you come, who can blame them?

You’ll never seem to catch their eye, and they’ll never wonder why

Groves:

I won't fall asleep

I won't fall asleep

Styer:

Hey yeah, don't let 'em know we're coming

Hey yeah, tiptoe higher

Take some time to simmer down, keep your head down low

Hey yeah, tiptoe higher

Groves: And what if I don’t want to?

Styer: You will. It’s that important. Just don’t make a fuss of it.

From your slanted view see the morning dew

Sink into the soil, watch the water boil

They won't see you run, who can blame them?

They never look to see you fly, so you’ll never have to lie

Groves:

I won't fall asleep

I won't fall asleep

Somervell:

Hey yeah, don't let 'em know we're coming

Styer:

Hey yeah, tiptoe higher

Both:

Take some time to simmer down, keep your head down low

Hey yeah, tiptoe higher

Groves: What if I’m not the best for the job? Have you ever thought that?

Somervell & Styer:

Nobody else, nobody else

Nobody else can take us higher

Nobody else can take us higher

Nobody else can take us higher

Nobody else

Hey yeah, don't let 'em know we're coming

Hey yeah, tiptoe higher

Groves:

I’ll take some time to simmer down, keep my head down low

Somervell & Styer:

Hey yeah, tiptoe higher

All:

Hey yeah, don't let 'em know we're coming

Hey yeah, tiptoe higher

Take some time to simmer down, keep your head down low

Hey yeah, tiptoe higher

(End Music)

Groves: (Defeated) Alright, gentleman, fine, I’ll take your Manhattan Project assignment. Now who’s going to work with me?

Somervell: That’s your decision, Groves! You pick your main scientist, and he’ll take care of the rest. We have a list of men who would do well in the position. Our main focus is a professor at Berkely in California. Maybe you should go take a look.

Groves: I guess I’ll have to. Let me guess, I have to choose the main headquarters as well?

Styer: Yep!

Groves: (sighs) Well, gentleman, you sure know how to convince a man of his patriotic duty. When’s the next flight to Berkeley?

Somervell: We’ve already bought your ticket.

Groves: You have? So you knew this whole time that I’d accept? What if I hadn’t?

Styer: We’d improvise.

(Somervell and Styer laugh as they exit. Groves stands center stage and takes one last look at his surroundings before exiting as well.)

(End Scene)


Scene II

(A classroom in Berkeley University. There are a number of college students seated in desks facing downstage right. J. Robert Oppenheimer is standing in front of a blackboard, teaching the class. The bell rings.)

Oppenheimer: Alright class, we'll pick up there tomorrow. You're dismissed.

(The students get up and file out the door. Oppenheimer sits down at a desk beside the blackboard. The scene is silent as he reads papers on his desk. One of his students, Kenneth, re-enters)

Kenneth: Excuse me, Professor? Mrs. Lyman says there's a man waiting for you out here saying he needs to see you.

Oppenheimer: Who is it?

Kenneth: I don't know; I've never seen him before. He looks like he works in the army.

Oppenheimer: Send him in.

(Kenneth exits. A moment later, Groves enters. Upon seeing him, Oppenheimer stands respectfully.)

Groves: Sit down, Mr. Oppenheimer. (Oppenheimer sits) I take it you know who I am?

Oppenheimer: The Pentagon called ahead saying you'd be here. What does the army need of a university professor, General Groves?

Groves: A great deal more than you'd think, Mr. Oppenheimer. Are you familiar with the papers of Einstein and Szilárd?

Oppenheimer: The theory of nuclear fission, yes, I've heard of it.

Groves: Are you aware that the Germans are attempting to construct a bomb based on this theory?

Oppenheimer: I figured that. Everyone with enough resources will probably be scrambling to be the first to create one. Let me guess, you need me to help design it.

Groves: Oh no, Mr. Oppenheimer, I need you for much more than that. I'm here to ask you to be the head of our section of the project. I'll be the military correspondent reporting to the Pentagon, but you will be the one heading the design.

Oppenheimer: (stunned) General Groves... I'm honored. What made you choose me?

Groves: You were the best we could find. I take it you'll accept?

Oppenheimer: Of course! I've got to tell my students about this.

Groves: Are you insane? Good heavens man, we've got to keep this a complete secret! You'll need to resign and find a secluded place where we won't be found easily.

Oppenheimer: I hadn't thought about that. Can I tell anyone?

Groves: Not specifics no, but you'll take your family with you.

Oppenheimer: Take them where?

Groves: You'll have to decide that.

Oppenheimer: (thinking) Well... I have a ranch out in New Mexico. It's not near any major city.

Groves: What town is it closest to?

Oppenheimer: Los Alamos.

Groves: (nods) I'll have to check with the Pentagon, but it sounds good enough. Thank you for your time, Professor.

Oppenheimer: One moment, General. I have one more question. How much of a chance do we have of completing it before the Germans do?

Groves: I won't divulge secrets here, but I must say, it doesn't look good. The Germans have had a longer time with this information; we're struggling to catch up.

Oppenheimer: Well don't worry, General; I've found that men work best when they're behind.

Groves: I hope the rest of your scientists have your sense of optimism, Professor. Good day. (Exits)

(Music: “Underdog”)

Oppenheimer: This will be an interesting change. From assistant professor to head designer for the Manhattan Project. I wonder if we'll even make the bomb in time. But who knows? We might just do it. Even if we don't, we'll have tried. If only my parents could see me now.


Early morning take me over
Father, father, father
Take me to the top
Early morning wake me up
Father, father, father
This is not enough
Hey, that sounds like my luck
I get the short end of it
Oh I love to be
I love to be the underdog, Hey!
Hey, that sounds like my luck
I get the short end of it
Oh I love to be
I love to be the underdog
Early evening settle down
Father, father, father
Who am I to blame?
Early evening hush me over
Father, father, father
Are we just the same?
Hey, that sounds like my luck
I get the short end of it
Oh I love to be
I love to be the underdog, Hey!
Hey, that sounds like my luck
I get the short end of it
Oh I love to be
I love to be the underdog, Hey!

Living the low life
Low life low life
Living the low life
Low life low life
Living the low life

Hey, that sounds like my luck
I get the short end of it
Oh I love to be
I love to be the underdog, Hey!
Hey, that sounds like my luck
I get the short end of it
Oh I love to be
I love to be the underdog, Hey!

The underdog, hey!

I love to be the underdog, hey!

The underdog, Hey!

The underdog, Hey!

The underdog, Hey!

The underdog, Hey!
(End Scene)





Scene III

(A lab room at the project base in Los Alamos. Oppenheimer is once again in front of a chalkboard, explaining the physics of how an atomic bomb works. There are several bomb designs drawn on the board.)

Oppenheimer: Now, that is what we are trying to accomplish, men. We need to find the best design for delivering a case of massive nuclear fission to the Nazis.

Scientist #1: We could design it like a cannon, shooting a piece of uranium into another at the other end.

Oppenheimer: Yes, but the amount of mass in the bomb to make that work would make it too heavy to lift, even for a crane.

Scientist #2: But what other option do we have? There's no other way to get the uranium to impact at the needed velocity.

Scientist #3: Do we even need to use uranium? What about that other metal, plutonium?

Oppenheimer: Plutonium doesn't undergo nuclear fission at the rate we need it to; it starts before the two halves impact, which makes it fizzle instead of explode outward. (Groves enters) Ah, General Groves. What can we do for you?

Groves: You can start by telling me how the design is going. It's been a month already! Haven't you come up with something?

Oppenheimer: That's just what we were discussing. We have a few ideas, but there are problems with all of them that can't be fixed quickly. (Pulls Groves aside) There is something else, sir. The men don't seem to be very enthusiastic about this. They don't have the heart.

Groves: Explain.

Oppenheimer: They try to suggest ideas, but they act reluctant. If I didn't know better, I'd say they don't want this bomb to beat the Nazis.

Groves (sighs, turns to address the group) Alright men, explain yourselves. Oppenheimer here doesn't believe you are putting your best foot forward on this project. Would anyone like to tell me why?

Scientist #1: Well, it's hard to explain, General. We just don't think that this bomb is safe.

Groves: Of course it's not safe, it's a bomb.

Scientist #1: That's not what I mean. Personally, I think this bomb is too dangerous to use on anyone. Can you imagine if every country in the world had some of these? We could destroy the planet!

Groves: That's not our worry right now. Any reasons why we shouldn't use it against only the Nazis?

Scientist #2: Yes. Even if we only use it this once, the fallout would be devastating. The environment would be poisoned for decades to come! Besides, what kind of people are we to condemn anyone to such a fate?

Groves: Tell that to Hitler and his concentration camps.

Scientist #2: But see, that's another thing we need to consider. What kind of beings are we to do this to our own species? This whole war makes me want to hide under a rock.

(Music: “Fallen”)


Run for cover
My sense of fear is running thin
Undercover
Just like a candle in the wind
Tell everybody, tell everybody
Brothers, sisters, the ending is coming

Scientists:

Ohhhhh
We are fallen, we are fallen
Ohhhhh
We are fallen, we are fallen
Now we're just gonna ride it out

Scientist #1:

Every morning
I'm staring shadows in the eye
Oh, good morning
Will you just wait until I die?
Tell everybody, tell everybody
Brothers, sisters, the ending is coming

Scientists:

Ohhhhh
We are fallen, we are fallen
Ohhhhh
We are fallen, we are fallen
Now we're just gonna ride it out
Tell everybody, tell everybody
Tell everybody, we are fallen
Ohhhhh
We are fallen, we are fallen
Ohhhhh
We are fallen, we are fallen
Now we're just gonna ride it out
I just want to take it in
Even when your fire runs out
Will you start it up again?
We are fallen

(Scientists Exit)


Oppenheimer: I must admit, General, that wasn’t what I’d expected them to act like. It will probably take some time for them to get accustomed to this project.

Groves: They aren’t the only ones.

Oppenheimer: What?

Groves: I said they aren’t the only ones.

Oppenheimer: I’m not sure what you mean, General.

Groves: I’m sure you do.

Oppenheimer: Well, I don’t, so enlighten me.

Groves: Alright. What is your relationship with the woman Jean Tatlock?

Oppenheimer: (taken aback) Jean? She’s a friend.

Groves: Oh, really? A friend who constantly calls you, telling you how much she loves you and needs you? Quite a friend you’ve got there.

Oppenheimer: What… how…. Those calls were private!

Groves: Nothing is private in this project, Professor. Obviously we screen all calls going in or out here; we don’t want any sensitive information getting out. As soon as Ms. Tatlock called you, we knew about it, and we looked her up. And do you know what we found out? Not only have you been having an affair for years behind your wife’s back, you’ve been having it with a communist to boot!

Oppenheimer: So? I’ve had communist sympathies for years.

Groves: Yes, but fraternizing with them doesn’t help! She could be a Nazi spy for all we know!

Oppenheimer: What does it matter if I have a private life here? It won’t affect my ability to work.

Groves: You just don’t get it, do you?

(Music: “Tiptoe Reprise”)


In the morning light, watch her roots take flight

watch her fall above, like a vicious dove

You didn’t see her come, who can blame you?

She never seemed to catch your eye, so you never wondered why


Oppenheimer:

I won’t fall asleep

I won’t fall asleep

Groves:

Hey yeah, don’t let ‘em know we’re coming

hey yeah, tiptoe higher

Take some time to simmer down, keep your head down low

hey yeah, tiptoe higher

Hey yeah, don’t let her know we’re coming

hey yeah, tiptoe higher

Take some time to simmer down, keep your head down low

hey yeah, tiptoe higher


(End Music)

We can’t let this continue, Professor. You need to break off your affair with Ms. Tatlock and never see her again.

Oppenheimer: And if I refuse?

Groves: (matter-of-factly) Then we will fire you and find someone else.

Oppenheimer: No one else can build this bomb. You need me.

Groves: Then break off the affair. (Exits)

(Oppenheimer watches Groves exit, then sits down at his desk. After a moment, he reaches for the phone and dials a number.)

Oppenheimer: Hello, Jean? Where did you say you wanted to meet?

(End Scene)


Scene IV

(Jean Tatlock’s house in California. She is singing to herself and dancing as she sweeps the floor. There are two couches set up facing the audience, and a fireplace upstage middle. The front door is upstage right.)

(Music: “Rocks”)

Jean:

Where do we go from here?

Where do we go from here?

I threw some rocks up at your window

I broke some rocks right through your window

Timber, timber

We're falling down

Let the forest hear our sound

Boom ba boom ba boom

Ah ooo ah ooo

Boom ba boom ba boom

Ah ooo ah ooo

Why can't I see

What's right in front of me?

We fall

We fall apart

We fall

We fall apart

(A knock on the door is heard.)

Jean: Coming! (She opens the door) Robert! I’m so glad you could come!

Oppenheimer: I can’t stay long, Jean.

Jean: Oh that’s fine; we can skip the dinner.

Oppenheimer: No, that’s not what I mean, Jean. I mean that I can’t stay more than a few minutes. I need to tell you something, and then I’m leaving.

Jean: (Troubled, but trying to remain happy) It must be important then. Go on, you can tell me anything.

Oppenheimer: I don’t think it’s something you want to hear. You know the project I told you I was working on?

Jean: You mean the one you wouldn’t tell me anything about?

Oppenheimer: Yes. It’s a sensitive government project, Jean, and I can’t tell you any specifics. The thing is, it’s for the military, so me having an affair with a communist can’t be allowed.

Jean: What are you saying?

Oppenheimer: I think you know what I’m saying. We can’t see each other any more, Jean. If we do, they might do something horrible to you. Besides, I’m not sure you want to know what we’re doing. It’s not something pretty.

Jean: You think I care? Stay with me, Robert. If that project is so horrible, just leave it behind. If you need comfort, stay with me, with love.

Oppenheimer: You really think it's that simple? I have a wife, Jean! I can't just abandon her.

Jean: So you'd abandon me instead?

Oppenheimer: It's not just that. This project excites me, Jean. It's a chance for me to do something in this world besides just teaching students at Berkeley. How often does that chance come around? I can't just let it go.

Jean: And where do I fit in to this?

Oppenheimer: I love you Jean. I love you too much to let you get hurt by this, so just understand that I’m doing this for you.

(Music: “Demons”)

When the days are cold

And the cards all fold

And the saints we see

Are all made of gold

When your dreams all fail

And the ones we hail

Are the worst of all

And the blood’s run stale

I wanna hide the truth

I wanna shelter you

But with the beast inside

There’s nowhere we can hide

No matter what we breed

We still are made of greed

This is my kingdom come

This is my kingdom come

When you feel my heat

Look into my eyes

It’s where my demons hide

It’s where my demons hide

Don’t get too close

It’s dark inside

It’s where my demons hide

It’s where my demons hide


At the curtain’s call

It's the last of all

When the lights fade out

All the sinners crawl

So they’ll dig your grave

At the masquerade

They’ll come calling out

At the mess we made

Don't wanna let you down

But I am hellbound

No, this is all for you

Don't wanna hide the truth

No matter what we breed

We still are made of greed

This is my kingdom come

This is my kingdom come

When you feel my heat

Look into my eyes

It’s where my demons hide

It’s where my demons hide

Don’t get too close

It’s dark inside

It’s where my demons hide

It’s where my demons hide


Jean:

They say it's what you make

I say it's up to fate

It's woven in my soul

I cannot let you go

Your eyes, they shine so bright

I wanna save that light

I can't escape this now

Unless you show me how

Oppenheimer:

When you feel my heat

Look into my eyes

It’s where my demons hide

It’s where my demons hide

Don’t get too close

It’s dark inside

It’s where my demons hide

It’s where my demons hide

(Oppenheimer exits. Jean kneels down and cries.)

(Music: "Bleeding Out")

Jean:

I'm bleeding out
So if the last thing that I do
Is bring you down
I'll bleed out for you
So I bare my skin
And I count my sins
And I close my eyes
And I take it in
I'm bleeding out
I'm bleeding out for you, for you.

When the day has come
That I've lost my way around
And the seasons stop and hide beneath the ground
When the sky turns gray
And everything is screaming
I will reach inside
Just to find my heart is beating
Oh, you tell me to hold on
Oh, you tell me to hold on
But innocence is gone
And what was right is wrong
'Cause I'm bleeding out
So if the last thing that I do
Is to bring you down
I'll bleed out for you
So I bare my skin
And I count my sins
And I close my eyes
And I take it in
And I'm bleeding out
I'm bleeding out for you

(Oppenheimer has reentered. He is not in Jean’s house; he enters from the opposite side of the stage than the door and sits on a bench set in front of the proscenium. Jean and Oppenheimer do not acknowledge each other; they are in separate locations, but on the same stage.
Oppenheimer:

When the hour is nigh
And hopelessness is sinking in
And the wolves all cry
To fill the night with hollering
When your eyes are red
And emptiness is all you know
With the darkness fed
I will be your scarecrow
Jean:

You tell me to hold on
Oh you tell me to hold on
But innocence is gone
And what was right is wrong
'Cause I'm bleeding out
So if the last thing that I do
Is to bring you down
I'll bleed out for you
So I bare my skin
Oppenheimer:

And I count my sins
Jean:

And I close my eyes
Oppenheimer:

And I take it in
Both:

And I'm bleeding out

I'm bleeding out for you, for you.
Jean:

I'm bleeding out for you, for you

Oppenheimer:

I'm bleeding out for you, for you

Jean:

I'm bleeding out for you, for you

Oppenheimer:

I'm bleeding out for you,


Both:

'Cause I'm bleeding out
So if the last thing that I do
Is to bring you down
I'll bleed out for you
So I bare my skin
And I count my sins
And I close my eyes
And I take it in
And I'm bleeding out
I'm bleeding out for you, for you.

(She runs out, Oppenheimer exits the same direction he entered.)

(End Scene)


Scene V

(A scene in front of the curtain. Jean runs out and frantically runs through the audience. She returns to the stage when she finishes her first lines)

Jean: Robert! Robert, where did you go? Robert, come back! Please, darling, I can’t stand it! I don’t care what happens to me, I need to be with you! (Stops center stage, looks around)

He’s gone, isn’t he? (Laughs bitterly) So this is how you leave me? You tell me you love me, then abandon me forever? Anyone can leave their lover; I thought you were better than that! Doesn't my love mean anything to you? Apparently some stupid government project means more to you. So who will be left for me?

(Music: "Hear Me")

Try

Try to hear my voice
You can leave, now it's your choice
Maybe if I fall asleep, I won't breathe right
Maybe if I leave tonight, I won't come back
I said it before, I won't say it again
Love is a game to you, it's not pretend
Maybe if I fall asleep, I won't breathe right
Can nobody hear me?
I got a lot that's on my mind
I cannot breathe
Can you hear it, too?
You kiss and you kiss
And you love and you love
You got a history list and the rest is above
And if you're warm, then you can't relate to me
From the floor to the floor
And the sky to the sky
You've got to love and adore and the rest is awry
And if you're warm, then you can't relate to me
I said it before, I won't say it again
Love is a game to you, it's not pretend
Maybe if I fall asleep, I won't breathe right
Can nobody hear me?
I got a lot that's on my mind
I cannot breathe
Can you hear it, too?
Leave your shoes at the door, baby
I am all you adore, lately
Come with me and we will run away
Can nobody hear me?
I got a lot that's on my mind
I cannot breathe
Can you hear it, too?
Can nobody hear me?
I got a lot that's on my mind
I cannot breathe
Can you hear it, too?

(She curls up on the ground and cries. Blackout)



Scene VI

(The lab at Los Alamos. Oppenheimer is holding another meeting with all the scientists to discuss bomb designs.)

Oppenheimer: Gentlemen, I am pleased to announce that we’re finally receiving some decent amounts of uranium and plutonium from the Oak Ridge facility. We can begin testing fission levels and practical bomb designs. Now, can anyone report on the feasibility of said designs?

Scientist #1: We’ve figured out a way for the uranium-cannon design to work without the unfeasible mass.

Oppenheimer: Good, very good. Now, what about this new plutonium design I’ve been hearing about?

Scientist #2: Well, it was actually a strange way to come about it. I was holding an orange a few days ago and realized that maybe a cannon wasn’t the way to go about it? What if we designed a compression bomb, with specifically shaped explosives to compress two pieces of plutonium together to create the fission?

Oppenheimer: That would eliminate the need for the metal to come into contact at high velocity. I like the idea, but how would we get the compression? We can’t just make it explode outward, we have to make it implode instead.

Scientist #2: It would take a large amount of tests and very specific shapes, but I still think it’s possible.

Oppenheimer: Well, run some preliminary tests and get back to me. Is that all? (Scientists nod) Then let’s take a break. (Scientists file offstage, Groves enters) What can I do for you, General?

Groves: Where did you go yesterday?

Oppenheimer: I went back to California.

Groves: To meet with Ms. Tatlock? What exactly happened in this meeting?

Oppenheimer: I told her we couldn’t see each other anymore.

Groves: Anything else?

Oppenheimer: Why do you care!? I’ve broken off the affair, isn’t that all you care about? Your precious secrecy?

Groves: I ask because we just received a call from the police department near her home. Apparently Ms. Tatlock has gone missing and they think suspect might have committed suicide.

Oppenheimer: Oh, Jean…

Groves: I just came by to tell you. I’m… sorry for your loss. (Exits)

Oppenheimer: Oh, Jean, how could you do this? Didn’t I tell you that I loved you? I broke it off to keep you safe! It's my fault; I should never have met you. Then none of this would have happened. Good heavens, what kind of man am I to make someone kill themselves? It can't be true. It just can't! (Runs off)

(End Scene)


Scene VII

(Oppenheimer's house in Los Alamos. Katherine Oppenheimer is seated in a chair stage left. The door is on stage right. She is sewing something when Oppenheimer comes in the door.)

Katherine: You're a bit late, Robert. Did something hold you up at the lab?

Oppenheimer: Just talking with General Groves. (He slumps dejectedly into a chair opposite hers.)

(Music: "Monster")

Katherine: Are you alright?

Oppenheimer: I'm fine, dear.

Katherine: Robert, you only call me "dear" when something's wrong. Tell me.

Oppenheimer: (Sighs) One of my colleagues in California committed suicide last night.

Katherine: Oh... Robert, I'm so sorry. Who was he?

Oppenheimer: She. Apparently she thought we had a future together, and when I told her it couldn't happen, she was heartbroken.

Katherine: Well, you can't blame yourself.

Oppenheimer: But it was my fault! In the beginning, I led her on, let her believe that we could be together. Katherine, I feel like I've done something unforgivable.

Ever since I could remember,
Everything inside of me,
Just wanted to fit in, oh oh oh oh
I was never one for pretenders,
Everything I tried to be,
Just wouldn't settle in, oh oh oh oh
If I told you what I was,
Would you turn your back on me?
And if I seem dangerous,
Would you be scared?
I get the feeling just because
Everything I touch isn't dark enough
That this problem lies in me
I'm only a man with a candle to guide me,
I'm taking a stand to escape what's inside me.
A monster, a monster,
I've turned into a monster,
A monster, a monster,
And it keeps getting stronger.

Can I clear my conscience,
If I'm different from the rest,
Do I have to run and hide? oh oh oh oh
I never said that I want this,
This burden came to me,
And it's made its home inside, oh oh oh oh

If I told you what I was,
Would you turn your back on me?
And if I seem dangerous,
Would you be scared?
I get the feeling just because,
Everything I touch isn't dark enough
That this problem lies in me
I'm only a man with a candle to guide me,
I'm taking a stand to escape what's inside me.
A monster, a monster,
I've turned into a monster,
A monster, a monster,
And it keeps getting stronger.

Katherine: Robert, stop this. You can’t do this to yourself. That woman deluded herself, and you tried to set her straight. That’s not something to be ashamed of.

Oppenheimer: I’m ashamed of the fact that I ever even implied that I wanted to be with her. That’s what started it all.

Katherine: You didn’t know what the ramifications could be! No one knows what the consequences of their actions will be.

Oppenheimer: Even so, there are consequences.
I'm only a man with a candle to guide me,
I'm taking a stand to escape what's inside me.
A monster, a monster,
I've turned into a monster,
A monster, a monster,
And it keeps getting stronger.
(Katherine walks to Oppenheimer and embraces him)

Katherine: Robert, you know that’s not true. You’ve done the best you could in this very trying time. Listen to me. It’s not your fault.

Oppenheimer: (Sighs) Thank you, Katherine. I’m not sure if I believe you yet, but you’ve helped.

Katherine: I’m glad. So how is the project going?

Oppenheimer: We’re finally getting close. Hopefully we can do a practical test soon.

Katherine: That would probably sound more momentous to me if I knew what you were doing.

Oppenheimer: We’ve gone over this, Katherine.
Katherine: I know, I know. It’s a sensitive government project that normal civilians like me aren’t allowed to know about. Is there anything you can tell me about it?

Oppenheimer: It’s going to change the world.

Katherine: Oh, is that all? I’d hoped it would be able to stop your snoring. Now that would be something.

(They laugh and exit together, hand-in-hand.)

(End Scene)


Scene VIII

(The Trinity test site. It has been another month since the last scene. Oppenheimer and his scientists have made a prototype atomic bomb, called “The Gadget” and are preparing to test it. The backdrop is a screen with a image projected onto it from a hidden projector. The image shows the actual Trinity tower in the distance. On the stage, a dugout has been created so Oppenheimer and the others may view the test safely. Oppenheimer and his scientists are on stage. Groves Enters)

Groves: Well, gentlemen, this is a historic day.

Oppenheimer: Indeed it is, General Groves. Once the Gadget goes off,  the Nazis will fear us.

Groves: Oh, about that. I just received a call from the Pentagon. The Nazis have surrendered, Oppenheimer! They’ve surrendered!

Oppenheimer: Then why is this project not ended?

Groves: The Japanese, of course! Just because Hitler committed suicide doesn’t mean they’re out of the war. This bomb is headed straight for Asia if this test goes right.

Oppenheimer: I’m not entirely sure how to take that news, General.

Groves: Take it how you will; we’re still performing this test.

Oppenheimer: Of course we are; my scientists and I have slaved to put this together. We’re not terminating it now.

Groves: Good. Are we about ready?

Oppenheimer: (Speaks into a radio) How does it look up there, men?

Voice: (over the radio) The Gadget is in place, and we’re clear of the radius. Prepare for drop.

Oppenheimer: Understood.

(Music: “Radioactive”. As the intro goes, the voice counts down from 25 seconds. When the countdown hits zero the voice says “Drop”, the bass in the song drops, Oppenheimer sings, and the screen shows a blinding flash of light followed by a mushroom cloud as the bomb detonates. Everyone in the bunker clings to something as the shockwave ripples through them.)

I'm waking up to ash and dust

I wipe my brow and I sweat my rust

I'm breathing in the chemicals

I'm breaking in, shaping up, then checking out on the prison bus

This is it, the apocalypse

Whoa

I'm waking up, I feel it in my bones

Enough to make my systems blow

Welcome to the new age, to the new age

Welcome to the new age, to the new age

Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh, whoa, oh, oh, oh, I'm radioactive, radioactive

Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh, whoa, oh, oh, oh, I'm radioactive, radioactive


Groves:

I raise my flags, don my clothes

It's a revolution, I suppose

We'll paint it red to fit right in

Whoa

I'm breaking in, shaping up, then checking out on the prison bus

This is it, the apocalypse

Whoa


Oppenheimer, Groves, and Scientists:

I'm waking up, I feel it in my bones

Enough to make my systems blow

Welcome to the new age, to the new age

Welcome to the new age, to the new age

Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh, whoa, oh, oh, oh, I'm radioactive, radioactive

Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh, whoa, oh, oh, oh, I'm radioactive, radioactive

(Jean has appeared in front of the proscenium during the chorus, stage left. She is dressed all in white, and Oppenheimer is the only one who sees her; he has imagined her here, watching over the thing he chose over her.)

Jean:

All systems go, the sun hasn't died

Deep in my bones, straight from inside



All:

I'm waking up, I feel it in my bones

Enough to make my systems blow

Welcome to the new age, to the new age

Welcome to the new age, to the new age

Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh, whoa, oh, oh, oh, I'm radioactive, radioactive

Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh, whoa, oh, oh, oh, I'm radioactive, radioactive

(Blackout. End Scene)

(End of Act I)


© 2014 Umbreomancer


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on December 24, 2014
Last Updated on December 24, 2014

Author

Umbreomancer
Umbreomancer

AZ



About
I write mainly fantasy, but I've dabbled in essays that just pop up from my mind about things I see. I'm writing a fanfiction for Magic: the Gathering about a character named Julna Buras, who as you c.. more..

Writing