Boy meets Planeswalker

Boy meets Planeswalker

A Story by Umbreomancer
"

A character I based off myself travels to Earth, specifically to the high school where his author attends.

"

The bell rang at Higley High School. It was a normal day. Well, except for the fact that an all-powerful umbreomancer was about to find himself among this enormous campus full of hormones. It was strange, really. Despite the fact that someone just magically materialized out of thin air, not a single student or faculty member noticed it.

The setting might have helped. In the small clearing behind the 500 building, where the chess boards were, a strange discoloration appeared in the air. It began as only a slight darkening of the air, like a wisp of smoke had been released. As time went on, however, it became darker and darker, taking on the shape of a human hanging in the air.

The man dropped down, panting slightly from entering this world. For some reason, this outlet of the Infinite was harder to reach than any other. His shadow moved of its own accord and rose up off the ground, forming into the shape of a shade with piercing blue eyes. Its name was Falderin and it was made from the man’s own shadow. Beside Falderin was his companion, Niredlaf, a spirit-shade made from a piece of the man’s own soul. Together they whispered in the man’s mind, Are you alright, Master?

“Yes,” the man said out loud, “I am fine. Where are we?”

An Earth outlet, Niredlaf said, looking around, It looks to be the early twenty-first century, A normal high school, it seems.

The man frowned. “Nothing magical or out of place here? Why does this outlet exist? It needs some sort of power to manifest in the Infinite.”

Whatever it is, Falderin said, It’s somewhere in this school.

The man stood up and dusted himself off. He looked at the students out in the main courtyard and spoke a word. His black clothes became shadow, shifting and moving before coalescing into a perfect imitation of the clothing styles of Earth in the twenty-first century. He now wore a dark blue t-shirt, jeans, and disguised his cloak as a navy blue flannel shirt. Finally, he took his sword, Shadowseer, and turned both it and the sheath into a black backpack that he slung over his shoulder. His shades were now inside and could be released by opening one of the pockets.

The man was Julna Buras, and he set out into the school.

******************************************************************************

Even though Julna had been in Earth outlets before, he’d never encountered anything so mind-bogglingly maddening as a high school. He’d walked into a random classroom and sat down, unzipping his backpack; the shades sprang out and modified the memories of everyone in the room. To them, he was a new student, so they would ignore him. Now he could observe without worrying about making an entirely new identity to parrot back to anyone who asked.

The problem was that even an observer could feel the sudden need to strangle every dimwitted teenager in this establishment. Twice he had to deal with walls of airheaded teenage girls walking maddeningly slow in the hall, but so spread out that it was impossible to get past them. Now, in the class, even when the teacher asked (politely even! Nothing like the professors at the Dekatia academy) for them to quiet down, they just went right on talking. Finally, one of the older-looking students, an unusually tall girl, took charge and called for the class to be quiet. Thankfully, they did. Julna wanted to shake the hand of this girl for being one of the few who could actually take charge.

The teacher, his name (Guymon or something like that) nearly unpronounceable, said he was going to “take attendance” or something like that.

“Dylan!” he called.

“Here!” a boy with extremely unkempt hair called back.

Ah, the teacher was calling the role. What strange phrases these people had.

The students were becoming too loud again, and the sound was grating on Julna’s ears. Rather than wait for the tall girl to quiet them, he simply opened the pack and let out a number of shades equal to the number of students. They entered each student’s mind and made them all silent, each of them thinking that they had reached one of those natural lulls in the conversation, when in fact, it had been induced. None of them knew that, of course. They didn’t even know that Julna was there.

At least, he thought they didn’t. But there was one boy who was staring straight at Julna with a look of extreme confusion and fear. In fact, he looked very similar to Julna. His clothing was almost exactly the same, and his looks were only slightly different from Julna’s.

Who is that? he asked Falderin and Niredlaf, And why can he see me?

We don’t know, they responded, He seems like a normal human.

Then the boy did something completely unexpected. He mouthed the words Julna Buras. This boy knew exactly who he was.

“Erase his memory,” he whispered.

Falderin and Niredlaf sank into the ground and drifted to where the boy was sitting. But, instead of entering the boy’s mind, they froze.

What? Julna thought.

The shades returned to him, looking troubled. We could not get near him. As soon as we approached, we could not move. It was most perplexing.

Julna stood up and strode towards the door. As he opened it, he gestured for the boy to follow him. The boy looked confused, but followed.

As soon as they were outside, Julna turned on him and demanded, “Who are you!? How can you confound my powers!?”

The boy said nothing.

“Answer me! Tell me who you are!”

The boy stared at the floor, shuffling his feet. He whispered something unintelligible.

“What? What was that?”

The boy looked him in the eye, and in his eyes Julna saw a complete knowledge. This boy didn’t just know Julna, he knew him better than Julna knew himself.

“My name is Jonah,” the boy said, “And I created you.”


© 2015 Umbreomancer


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

That was amazing! Great use of dramatic pauses and surprises at the end there!

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
1 Review
Added on January 16, 2015
Last Updated on January 16, 2015

Author

Umbreomancer
Umbreomancer

AZ



About
I write mainly fantasy, but I've dabbled in essays that just pop up from my mind about things I see. I'm writing a fanfiction for Magic: the Gathering about a character named Julna Buras, who as you c.. more..

Writing