My Cat

My Cat

A Story by Uranus
"

A narrative about me and my cat.

"
    The afternoon was gloomy when I went out from the school gate. The sky was grey, the wind cold. It was about to rain soon. I hurried up because I forgot to bring my coat.
    I do not usually take the road where the rest of the children go. I usually take the shortcut---the cemetery. Few kids go here for obvious reasons. I was jumping from one tomb to another when I heard a kitten crying. 

I stopped. 

    I looked around, trying to find where that cry was coming from. Stepping down from the tomb, I searched around.

It's near, I thought. 

    I continued searching and there it was---stuck in the bushes. I took the kitten out. Then thunder growled like a hungry dog. 

    "Meow," it cried, looking at me. It was intensely crying as if I had saved it from something terrible. I stared at it for a moment. 

    "No, I have to leave you here," I said, putting it down. Then I started walking away.

It called on me. 

But I ignored. 

    I continued walking and when I looked back, it was following me.

 I stopped. 

    It called on me again---as if it was calling my name. It called on me as if it was begging for something---for love. Then I realised that its call had turned into a cry. It was crying. I saw a great amount of sadness in its eyes. 
    We stared at each other for a long moment. The sky rumbled on as if it was angry at something. Then I felt cold water dripping on my head down to my face. The rain had started to fall.



    When I got home, nobody was around.

    "Very well," I said to myself.

    The first thing I did after entering my room was to open my bag and take the kitten out. We were both wet. 

    "Don't worry, you're safe now. You'll be living here starting today."
    "Meow," it replied smiling at me. I smiled back. 

    I went downstairs to look for something to give the kitten when my mother entered.

    "Trav," she called. "How many times have I told you not to forget your coat?" She looked annoyed.

    "I...I'm sorry," I replied.

    "We can't afford to get sick, Trav. Please do remember that."

    We have been struggling since father left us. My mother was left alone to take care of me. Wherever my father went to or whatever happened to him, I did not dare to ask my mother. She did not want to talk about it as well.

    I went back upstairs, bringing with me a piece of bread and some leftovers for the kitten. It gladly and greedily consumed what I gave.

    "What should I name you?," I asked. Then I realised I haven't figured out its gender yet. 

    "Oh, you're a male. We could get along well, I guess," I told him. 
    "Meow," it replied smiling.
    "Now, for your name." I pondered over this for minutes, but I could not think of any. I am just not good at naming things.
    "Well, I definitely would find one for you. I definitely need to." I smiled at him. He smiled back and replied with a meow.


    Evening came. My mother and I had dinner. We had rice and some dried fish. A single candle in the middle of the table illuminated the whole house. Cats were making noises on our roof, chasing one another. I was not surprised by the noises they were making nor my mother was. This happened often. What surprised her was when she heard something under the table.

    "What's this?!" she cried, surprised. "Shoo! Go away!"

    "Mother," I looked at her anxiously. "It's okay. He's my pet." I picked him up and petted him. 

    My mother looked at me with a sour face.

    "You're keeping a cat?" she asked with a troubled tone. "You are going to keep that thing?" She asked as if cats are disgusting creatures. 

    "He is not a thing. He is a kitten," I replied.
    "It doesn't matter. I wouldn't allow it. They're a mess, Trav. They're dirty, smelly... " 
    "Mum," I cut her before she could continue her tirade. "I would take good care of him. Don't worry." 

    She looked at me for a moment, then looked away. After a long silence, she sighed and shrugged. Then she said, "Just be sure to do so."
    "I will," I said, assuring not her but assuring my friend kitten.


    Days went by and I still haven't found a name for him. I decided to just try on anything that would get his attention. 
    I found him focused and was staring at something under my bed. Rats perhaps.

    "Meow," I called him. That was the first name I thought I would name him. He did not move from his position and I could tell that he is very focused on what he was doing. I tried another. 

    "Michael." Still no response. "Donatello, Raphael, Leonardo!"
He did not respond. I chuckled when I realised the names I had called him. 

    "Travor," I called him gently.

    He slowly turned his head in my direction and replied with a meow. 

    "Okay, then. You're gonna have the same name as me. Travor." 


    Two years passed, Travor grew to be a strong and handsome cat, with a rigid jaw, muscled body and legs and a scar on the back, which he got from months of fighting. 
    Once saw him on the roof sitting like a proud lion looking over his kingdom from a high stone. He instilled fear to other cats. But though he may have strong features, Travor is still a young cat.

    One night, while I was petting him on my chest---for he chose to lie on my chest instead of lying on his bed, and I was glad, for his presence there helps me to sleep---I told him, 

    "Tomorrow is my birthday."  His ears flicked, but his eyes were closed. Then I realised I did not know when his birthday was.

    I did not get up early that morning. I had no reason to. It was a Saturday. And it was just my birthday. After since father left, I had taught myself to contain my excitement every time birthdays come. My mother, though, always tried her best to at least bring something for both of us. But for me, birthdays come as ordinary as Fridays.

    I did not know where my mother went that day, but she had been away since before I got up, leaving a piece of bread for me on the table. I gave Travor a piece and we ate together. 

    "We just need to drink lots of water," I told him. I had learned how to ease the pain of hunger I feel by taking in much water. 

    Evening came and my mother still has not come home. After drinking some water, I started to walk up the stairs and decided to just sleep it off when suddenly, Travor passed in front of me and after leaving a piece of plastic, ran away. 

    "Travor! Why did you leave this garbage here?" I looked at him. He meowed, then pointed his nose on the plastic he had just left. I picked the plastic up and was surprised to see what was inside: three pieces of raw fish!

    I still could not figure out until now why Travor had brought food home. He could have just consumed it by himself. 

Perhaps it was his present for me? 

Perhaps he wanted me to cook it for him?

Or perhaps, he was just being a cat? 

    Whatever the reason was, I was very glad that I have a cat like Travor.
    I expected neighbours to make a fuss that evening about losing their food but I heard none. After frying the fish, I gave Travor a whole piece. I left one for my mother, and the other one, I ate.

   "Thank you, Travor." I looked at him and he looked back.
    "Meow," he replied smiling.

    I graduated high school and immediately looked for a job for my mother could not afford to send me to college. 
    One day, I was looking for Travor, for I have not seen him the whole day. I wanted to share with him some food I had brought.

Perhaps he was looking for something to eat, I thought.

    Evening came but he still has not come back. I wondered where he could have gone.
    The next day, there was still no sign of him. I got worried. I remembered him vomiting and eating some plants for days---sign that he was not feeling well. Then I remembered someone said that cats abandon their homes if they sense that they are about to pass away---that they would rather leave their owners than die in front of them. Judging Travor's behaviour that time, it was not far from the truth.
 
No. Please let it not be, I said to myself. 

    I hurried to the place where we first met for I believed that cats---if they sense they are about to pass away---would choose to succumb at the place where they were born. I was not sure if that was the place where he was born but that was where I first found him. That was what I believed. 

    When I reached the spot where I found him first, my blood froze at what I saw. A cat was lying, motionless. 

Maybe it is just sleeping, I made myself believe this thought.

    I tried to call the cat but it did not respond. Then the sky was turning grey. A cold wind passed, the trees were flailing. 
    Beside where the cat lies, I observed a splatter of blood. My legs went weak. My legs were shaking. My face got numb. I could hear my heart beating fast. Then thunder rumbled from above.
    I moved forward. I wanted to be sure it was him. No. I wanted to be wrong. 

    The moment I saw its face, my eyes went blurry. I was crying.

A cold rain started to fall. I cried. 

I cried and was glad that it was not Travor.


    It has been over ten years but I still have not got a new cat. I chose not to have a new one for I believe that one day, Travor would come back. That we would see each other again. That we would share with each other what we had. Again. This is what I believed in.

No. This is what I wanted to believe.

© 2017 Uranus


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is such a delightful story. The wording's concise - almost simply put but - has real elegance. Tho' sad, it has a hint of lesson learned about it, as if your kitty-cat was there when you were growing up, then - invisibly guided you through your life. Maybe affection and example last forever, even though with tears alongside at times. Poverty in the money sense is terrible to bear, but, to be able to voice such a tale - complete with thoughtful dialogue, is rich and lasting. Thank you for sharing what I see as a moral.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Uranus

5 Years Ago

Thank you, Emma for that wonderful review! Really appreciate every word you said. :)



Reviews

'My Cat'
Uranus,
This is lovely. Cute to have a kitty sleeping on your chest and also its empathy; not a bad pet I say. I wanted the pet to be found at the end but was also glad it had not died. I sometimes think of the cats that have been in my home. good writing and expression of caring.
Kathy

Posted 4 Years Ago


This is a lovely heartwarming story. I have had several cats in my life time although I now have two dogs. Your story reminds me a very special black cat that I had while living in St. John's Newfoundland. Sadly he disappeared on a Halloween night! I was despondent and tried hard not to think the worse. I did not expect to see him again because we had to move back to the states shortly thereafter but to this day I hope he found a nice family to take him in. You have a real talent for story telling. I hope you continue!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Uranus

5 Years Ago

Thanks so much, Dara for your review. I am so happy for you. :) Thanks for inspiring me. :)
touching tale. smooth flow and well told. made me think of the two times strays came into my life and how they changed things for the better. who doesn't love a cat? thanks to emmajoy for read requesting ... :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


Uranus

5 Years Ago

Thank you, Pete for sharing your thoughts. :)
The story of your cat from beginning to its final chapter is a gripping account, a cat lovers delight. You depict the true nature of cat beautifully; they are loving companions and demand not a lot from us. Whatever our condition in life a pet enriches our existence.I am glad Emmajoy Suggested me reading your story.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Uranus

5 Years Ago

I totally agree with everything you said. Thank you so much the review. Appreciate it. :)
Mrudula Rani

5 Years Ago

You are welcome.
This is such a delightful story. The wording's concise - almost simply put but - has real elegance. Tho' sad, it has a hint of lesson learned about it, as if your kitty-cat was there when you were growing up, then - invisibly guided you through your life. Maybe affection and example last forever, even though with tears alongside at times. Poverty in the money sense is terrible to bear, but, to be able to voice such a tale - complete with thoughtful dialogue, is rich and lasting. Thank you for sharing what I see as a moral.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Uranus

5 Years Ago

Thank you, Emma for that wonderful review! Really appreciate every word you said. :)
Well, I enjoyed this story. You write in a way that is easy to read, and you have a good mixture of narrative, observation and conversation. I think the structured too is good, beginning in the rain and ending in the rain! A lovely, if sad story, well told.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Uranus

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your insightful review, Great Aunt. :)
"beginning in the rain and endin.. read more
Well done! I enjoyed this and was interested and involved throughout. Sometimes you used past tense when present tense would have been betyet, but this was a solid story. Keep writiNG.

Posted 6 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Uranus

6 Years Ago

Wow! I'm really grateful for your comment. This was my very first writing, and I'm was not sure abou.. read more
Franky

6 Years Ago

This was your first one? Wow. That's a good sign. You may have real talent.
I'm not a cat person, but even I was touched, I do hope the cat comes back one day :'(

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Uranus

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much for you review. Yes, I am still hoping fro him to come back - though it has been m.. read more
Thank you so much, @Ivy Pepper. I'm new at writing, so I need every comment I could have to improve my writing skills. Thank you for your review.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1407 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 21, 2016
Last Updated on April 14, 2017
Tags: cat, narrative, short story, sad, rain

Author

Uranus
Uranus

Writing
A Sun Apart A Sun Apart

A Poem by Uranus


Birthday Wish Birthday Wish

A Poem by Uranus



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..