"Dying Flame"

"Dying Flame"

A Poem by Valentine

 

  "Dying Flame"

 
Watching the dying embers of an old loves flame,
Re-stoking the cold ashes...over and over again.
Seeking one tiny spark of an old...love affair;
Just one bit of warmth...to prove... it was there.
 
Only grey ashes left, to show where love has been.
Picked up and scattered as the wind blows again.
A tiny reminder, of a love that is dead and cold.
Love's death...in cold ashes, another grim story told.
 
So many times the fire flared and then went wild;
Lovers sat all alone...bewitched and beguiled.
When the sparks flew and the passion was so hot;
Two hearts beating as one...precious love, meant a lot.
 
There is nothing as cold, as a fire that has gone out.
No love as dead...as one left alone...and without.
No heart hurts more than the one that built that fire.
Love words now left unsaid...all lost that was so admired.
 
Stir the dead ashes...let the wind take them away.
Let this broken heart...in cold ashes, drop and lay.
Cover loves old ashes in the earth so dark and cold;
It dies as it had lived...burned hot...and then grew old.
 
Add a tombstone...inscribed...with a pyre...
and say...
"Someone forgot, to add fuel...to the fire."
 

© 2009 Valentine


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Perfect ending to the amazing poetry. I liked the flow of thoughts leading to the strong ending. Thank you dear friend for sharing your amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


Love can wind down and fade away without the proper care. Sad that one side always seems to get hurt. Good write, Kathie

Posted 7 Years Ago


Valentine

7 Years Ago

How true, some of both sexes just want to put another notch in their belt. Kathie
The ending shook me completely! I liked this one very much, because it was sad and dark, and those kind of poems are the most emotional and well written ones according to me, because when a heart is broken, all the feelings and love just bursts out in form of tears and hurt.
You're a talented writer, thank you for sharing this piece of your mind and heart.

// O

Posted 7 Years Ago


Valentine

7 Years Ago

I never studied writing, I just put down thoughts and words. Keep a notebook handy, when you hear a.. read more
So many aspects of this poem resinate with me. And the ideas of what love is and means linger in the air while I read. But then going on to the comments below, I realized what this work really is. It's writing at it's best. It's not just your story but you've found a way to make it ours. This is writing. And I say that to say that so many people can write, but how many can do it effectively? Like Tony Jordan said, in the previous review, "[y]ou've a more polished style." But not only that I recognize in your work a destinct style that has more of a confidence in this piece. Thank you for sharing!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Valentine

7 Years Ago

A very old write posted years ago, just recycled for newer friends. Kathie
You can really see how far you've come Kathie in terms of writing style between this one and the most recent ones. You've a more polished style now but nonetheless affecting.
I hope you've came a little way in healing too.
God Bless


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Valentine

7 Years Ago

Thank you Tony, now and then I recycle a write as newer friends have not read them. Kathie
Tony Jordan

7 Years Ago

But you keep an original copy to see the journey yourself right?
:)
Valentine

7 Years Ago

Tony, I have my written copies and also the published copies from when I wrote for the newspaper etc.. read more
Quite a well done piece of work, I quite enjoyed it was really quite touching.

Posted 14 Years Ago


As always This is another heartfelt and moving piece. The depth of you're motions and sadness really come through and touch the reader.
Love and hugs Debby

Posted 15 Years Ago


I would take issue with Mr. Franklin's statement that 'love never dies.' It certainly does, depending on the circumstances, and it is often the case that love dies in one partner, though not in the other, which leads to the feelings expressed in the poem. Then there is the question, often asked, whether it was really true love in the first place, or just an unhealthy obsession. True love is selfless and requires nothing in return. It remains, despite circumstances between the two changing. But this is a rare kind of love, as humans are imperfect, and mostly self-seeking. It is also the case that nostalgia for a love long gone is seen through rose-coloured glasses, too distant now to remember the heartache and the tears. We tend to remember the good times, and it is these that we yearn for, once our lives have progressed along a different, and not necessarily fulfilling path. The grass is always greener, they say... This is also true of our memories.
David.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Sad yet beautifully written poem. Thank you for sharing. Debileah

Posted 15 Years Ago


A beautiful write, a sad ending to a love story, thank you for sharing. Good bless

Posted 15 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

451 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 31, 2009

Author

Valentine
Valentine

MI



About
No one special. Just another person sharing what she writes. more..

Writing
Just Me Just Me

A Poem by Valentine



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Just Life Just Life

A Poem by Valentine