Un-Constructive Criticism

Un-Constructive Criticism

A Chapter by Attentive_Ambience
"

For all those times that I wanted feedback...but got attacked instead.

"

I’m Raw

 

The prose are ‘weak

Expand your ‘imagery

Can you ‘convey this better?’

 

Perhaps I could make it flow like billowing curtains

Maybe I could make you see, touch, taste - reside in my mind

Could you ‘interpret it better?’

 

 

I’m the teacher

My thoughts are absolute

My measures - God

My criticism - flawless

 

I’m the student

My work is a manifestation of the self

My words - are purged from the deepest part of my mind

My persona - is fragile: handle with care

 

 

You cannot handle constructive criticism

 

You’re right ~ I cannot handle criticism

 

Unless it’s constructive

 



© 2018 Attentive_Ambience


Author's Note

Attentive_Ambience
Just so we don't get the wrong idea here...This is based off MY experience within my time at a prestigious university where I felt attacked every time I wrote something. This is how I felt 5 years ago, and its how I feel about that situation now. Maybe you can relate ~ maybe you can't. But NEVER stop trying to improve ^^

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I hate that I feel like I can't criticize this.

I get your point, but your word is not flawless. I highly recommend ignoring this piece for a year and then coming back and seeing if you feel the same.

Detachment from our writing is important for growth.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
I think people here too serious. If somebody give you harsh review it's just his or her reaction. But generally here on this site mostly give you empty reviews. Like this is so amazing etc. They will never tell you a truth. At least when somebody is harsh. Maybe there is some true about your writing. Myself I know my grammar is bad and my style is very chaotic. I dont get too much reviews and when I do is this harsh reviews. I try always find positive out come in negative reactions. Don't forget problem is not harsh review problem is how you work with it. Another thing is mostly writing on Internet sites do t really have higher quality thats why we are here to learn a d help each other. HAve nice writing and let of constructive reviews.

Posted 6 Years Ago


I think sometimes it is a matter of semantics. People can be harsh - too harsh - with a review, and then call it "constructive criticism". At the same time, maybe 80% of the criticism probably was appropriate advice, but the receiver of the review took offense at the 20% and disregarded that which was beneficial. A typical case of throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Yes, the internet makes this worse. Every Tom, Dick and Harry are writers now. Self-publishing has enabled mediocre writers to add the dubious adjective of "published" before their chosen title of "writer". I'll be the first to admit that I'm an unpublished mediocre writer, possibly too lazy to put in the effort to change my current status of "amateur writer". Hemingway rewrote the ending of "A Farewell to arms" 39 times. Now that type of dedication and commitment to correct grammar, syntax and character development is sorely lacking in today's writers.

Sometimes the best thing that could happen to a wannabe writer is to be told, "You're not good enough". Let the penny drop, let the reality sink in that countless years of editing and re-writing is required, without any guarantee of success. If, after all that effort, one still remains in the game, I'd say it's just a matter of time before success would come knocking.

Posted 6 Years Ago


I hate that I feel like I can't criticize this.

I get your point, but your word is not flawless. I highly recommend ignoring this piece for a year and then coming back and seeing if you feel the same.

Detachment from our writing is important for growth.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Due to the massive exposure the internet has allowed us I believe any style can be mimicked by a reasonably intelligent writer. I prefer to attack ideas... there is great value in deconstructing someone's argument. Style can't really mask that kind of incompetence under pressure.

And if that attack is done honestly everyone comes out a little more refined in the end.

I don't mean to offend your writing style but, your personality sounds kinda whiny.

Now, you can take that super seriously or with a gigantic grain of internet salt. The choice is yours... I'm pretty sure I don't care enough either way.



Posted 6 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Attentive_Ambience

6 Years Ago

Thank you for your point of view ~
This comment has been deleted by this chapters author.
I used to add my thoughts on someone's work that was probably an offense to the writer. I stopped. I did learn from others though after they made suggestions to me. I can see how you or anyone would feel bad when they thought what they wrote was so good, only to get suggestions they didn't want.

Posted 6 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Attentive_Ambience

6 Years Ago

I like when someone states their thoughts, and I love opinions - even if they aren't entirely favora.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

357 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 7, 2018
Last Updated on February 19, 2018
Tags: criticism, poetry, angst, modern