Boiler Room

Boiler Room

A Chapter by Varianth
"

One errand leads to another.

"
"It's not leaking." grumbled Eliot.


"Well of course it's not leaking. It's not meant to be. I asked you if it was because it's a bad sign. Why do you think I asked you Eliot?" Sylvie shook her head in disbelief at Eliot. Two years her senior and the common sense of a mole rat.


"Oh. So what do you want me to do now then?" He asked sheepishly. Eliot forced a smile, or that's what he tried to make it look like. He couldn't help but say that she was unnecessarily beautiful. Thankfully her attitude was something hard to overlook which made her even less of a candidate for his dreams. 


He spotted his reflection in the polished steel pipes around him and looked up at the walkways trying to spot Sylvie. There she stood forearms on the railing, hands clasped together with that usual expression of irritation on her face.


"Come on up. I just wanted to know if everything was alright down there." She said happily. She waved him up and walked across the metal walkway back to the door that they had entered through.


As they returned to the room that had shown the hidden beast filled with machinery beneath the city. Eliot stood around anxiously wondering why he was still here. Usually Sylvie would disappear when he had finished the task that was asked of him and left him to make his way back up to the city at his own pace. She stood there looking at him with a bored expression on her face. He tried not to shake his head visibly but internally he felt himself sigh at the disconnect between her appearance and her attitude. Whatever. He was just here to work anyways.


"I might need you for a different job Eliot." Her expression grew dark as he took a step back. Her aura had been different moments ago and now he was worried about whatever words would come tumbling out of her mouth next. The hairs at the back of his neck began to stand up. He wanted to deny the request before it had even been asked. Something wasn't right in the way that she had asked. In fact this very job had been strange to begin with. He was fast asleep in his bed moments ago when a very persistent call woke him up. Were it not for his want to keep his reputation clean he would've thrown the phone into the every increasing pile of clothes at the foot of his bed.


"Go on, what's this about then." His heart within him sank. Idiot. Don't ask about the job if you already feel like danger is approaching. He internally reprimanded himself knowing he would find time on the drive home to lecture himself on the way home. A devilish glimmer in her eye sent more shivers down Eliot's spine. Whatever she was asking, something didn't feel right.


"I need you to drive a truck for me through the forest. I assure you the reward will be worth your time and effort. But you'll need to leave as soon as you say yes." 


© 2016 Varianth


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
Added on May 1, 2016
Last Updated on May 1, 2016
Tags: errand, white, leaking, short story, boilerroom, boiler room, relationships, mechanic, driver, adventure, scifi, fivehundred20


Author

Varianth
Varianth

Writing
The Wrong Bag The Wrong Bag

A Chapter by Varianth


White White

A Chapter by Varianth


Revolting Revolting

A Chapter by Varianth