The doorway to a colourful world…

The doorway to a colourful world…

A Story by Vernika

The sky was lit with the splendour of the moon. The crimson veil swathed on to her baby face, enveloping her child-like charm. Maa led her by her arm, into the warehouse, dimly lit, just like her life to come. “Always remember, hope is infinite, disappointment isn’t” with this, Maa burst out crying, handing the little bride a small trunk box. “This will be the streak of light in your world of gloom”. Little did the girl know what her mother was trying to hint at, for she was only thrilled at the sudden attention she was getting, the beautiful dress she was wearing and that she would now have a new place to call ‘home’.

After the wedding ceremony was over, she proceeded towards her new ‘home’ but this wasn’t what she’d expected. All her delicate dreams smashed to smithereens when her mother-in-law locked her up into a room after she let the caged parrot free. Poor girl was now herself a caged bird. Sorrowful, dejected, she wept. She understood what Maa was talking about and instantly grabbed the little trunk box. Inside, there were twelve neatly stacked paint colours and a brush. Maa always knew that her girl loved to paint and nothing else would give her more pleasure than painting. The girl felt a rush of emotions, an instant urge to paint, but she had no paper, so she took to the wall.

All evening she painted landscapes she’d never seen. An enchanting castle under a sparkling, crystal sky. A mesmerising portait made out of every colour that went missing from her own life. Just then, she heard a screech, the parrot had returned. It flew around the room twice and then magically, entered into the painting! But how? Thunderstruck, shell shocked, the girl gazed at the painting in utter amazement. This morning, she had set the bird free so maybe, it was giving it back to her by showing her the escape route. Nervous, reciting her prayers, she slowly stepped in there. And voila! There she was. Inside the world full of colour she had created on her own.

This thoughtless action filled her life with joy and gaiety. She was now into her dream world. A world so colourful, so cheerful, she never thought she would be able to create. So go on, add a dash of colour to your life. Gift yourself your very own little world. The young girl found immense pleasure when she entered her dreamworld. When are you getting into yours?

© 2015 Vernika


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

What a lovely, hopeful little story. I love the idea of art--though I realize I can't paint--and it was delightful to read of this girl colouring her life.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Vernika

8 Years Ago

Thanks a ton! I'm glad you liked it! :)
Nice story Vernika! :)
"add a dash of colour to your life." Excellent advice.
Thanks for sharing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Vernika

8 Years Ago

Thanks a lot! :D
Great story - Great message.
There was just one sentence that threw me.

"All her delicate dreams smashed to smithereens when her mother-in-law locked her up into a room after she let the caged parrot free."

I wasn't sure who had freed the parrot until later in the story.

Apart from that... nice descriptions and an enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Vernika

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for taking out time to read and review. And thanks for the constructive criticism... read more
Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Glad to help. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

250 Views
3 Reviews
Added on June 22, 2015
Last Updated on June 22, 2015

Author

Vernika
Vernika

Delhi, Hindu , India



About
An aspiring writer. Dreamer. Believer in magic. more..

Writing
Shoes Shoes

A Poem by Vernika