A Speech For Another Day

A Speech For Another Day

A Story by VertigoHolmes
"

A short essay/personal story of racism and bigotry.

"

My name is Joe Conde.

You’ve never heard of me.

I am here today to share my thoughts with you, and I hope I don’t eat up too much of your time.

This past year, has been frightening to say the least.

Not because I fear for my safety, or for the lives of my loved ones.

But for the lives of those I do not know.

The lives of those who fear their life could end at any moment.


Personally, I am a Nihilist.

Contrary to general belief, I am a Nihilist who believes in morals.

Intrinsically, being Nihilistic would mean there is no point, so there is no need for morals; nor is the point in which to label yourself a Nihilist.

And while that may be true -- we are still here.

And without morals, we would cease to exist.

Merely, I accept the grand totality that is the vastness of our universe, and take comfort in my own insignificance.

But while I am here, on this Earth, I vow to shield those from fear, and uncertainty.

I will stand up to hatred, and bigotry.

And I will strive for a world that values critical thought, and peaceful resolutions, over ignorant racism and senseless violence.


The first time I heard about racism, I didn’t know what to think.

I was 5.

“They hanged him, because he was black?”

This made no sense.

For years, I have tried to understand.

Why would anyone kill someone else over the amount of melanin in their skin?

Does science back up this notion that the more melanin you have, the worse you are for society?

Do first hand accounts of interactions with a person or peoples who had elevated melanin levels lend this notion any credence?

The answer is no.

Melanin doesn’t determine greatness.

Or lack thereof.


My family heritage is very mixed.

French, English, Dutch, Welsh, Italian, Irish, German, with a slice of Cherokee.

Let’s take a look at the Italian side for a minute.

A story my father told me; “When I was 10, we drove to Jackson, Mississippi to visit your great-grandma Ruth. She being the very definition of W.A.S.P., was outspoken towards the “colored-folk” living around her. Sparing no moment of letting racial slurs fly; cracking like a whip with every hard ‘R’. Now, we went to the grocery store to pick up a few items, and were shocked to find, dark-skinned Italians were viewed just a peg above the Negros. Still needing to use the colored restrooms, water-fountains, etc. 'N*****s with their skin turned inside out.' That’s how they viewed us. Your grandmother and I were the only Anglo-looking family members in the car, so we were the only ones allowed in the grocery. The restaurant. The park, during certain hours. Imagine a family vacation where only 2/5’s of the family can enjoy simple pleasures, like walking in a park.”


I’ve thought about that.

For years.

And I found I couldn’t imagine it.

I didn’t want to.


And for those who say, “Damn, right!”

I say, “Damn, you.”

And for those who say, “You have no idea what it’s like!”

I say, “You’re right.”

For those who are silent, you sit where I sit.


I’ve never hated someone because of the way they look.

I’ve never been followed by a store associate, fearing I may steal something.

But I have been silent.

I’ve watched it happen.

I watched a friend get followed.

In that moment, my confusion stoked, as I asked the associate “What do you think he is going to steal?”

Met with a blank stare of, “I just work here. My boss told me to do it.”

That distrust of something we don’t even understand.

They didn’t understand him.

They didn’t know him.

Not even slightly.


The first time I was exposed to hatred, would certainly not be the last.

I’ve learned about Hitler, and genocide.

I’ve learned about Pol Pot, and racial cleansing.

I’ve learned about the Kim’s, and totalitarianism.

Sorry, “Self-reliance”.

I’ve learned that all this means is that, they are afraid.

Afraid of those who don’t look like they do.

Afraid of those who don’t think the same way they do.

Afraid of those who may take their power away.


These men that Chris Barker of the KKK, Richard Spencer of the Alt-White Supremacists, and so many other neo-nazis, and white-supremacists have come to idolize, all had one thing in common.

They were afraid.

Fearful little children, in the suits of “men”.

“I am going to kill your entire race, cause you look different: act different: think different.”

Does that sound like the words of a man?

Or a scared little boy?

A bully on the playground.


In my honest opinion, it sounds like the rhetoric of a stunted young man who didn’t get enough intellectual stimulation from their fathers, and all they were passed down were physical beatings and unsubstantiated racial biases.


(For those of you who didn’t understand that last statement, and have made it this far in the message, “You were taught how to be an ignorant racist, because that was the only legacy or “heirloom”, your family could pass down. Unadulterated hate.”)


And that’s not to say, upper or even middle class, well-educated folks can’t be a racist or bigots too! 

Just cause their parents didn’t beat them and teach them how to be hate-filled, doesn’t mean they can’t participate.

No, no.

We have the Alt-Right for you.

Customize your hatred for the “undesirables”, with this new smartphone widget.

Stay up to date on “hate-events”, in your area using Facebook and Twitter.

The f**k?


When did lending a platform to would-be murderers and bigots become acceptable?

Some would say it’s always been acceptable.

That’s the glory of the first amendment.

But, spreading the sentiments of killing those who don’t deserve to live;

Reinforcing ideals, millions of Americans died to defeat;

These are not points-of-view worth tolerating.

Those spouting off about eliminating any life should have their tongues cut out.


Communists, can tell me how sharing is good.

Capitalists, can tell me making money is good.

Nazis, don’t get to say anything.


Racists, and bigots can be reformed.

They can be educated of their faults.

There is hope for the lonely racist.


Should these people be allowed to continue to walk the Earth spreading their hate-filled words like caustic ooze?


So if we can't ban, silence, block, ignore, or even kill them; what do we do?

They’re not going to listen, so we can’t reeducate them, which sounds kind of Nazi-ish anyway.

What can we do?


We can’t mock them, cause that just angers them.

We can’t scare them, well, cause they are already scared.

What in the hell do we do?


We laugh at them, and move on.

“But isn’t that the same as ignoring them?”

No.

Because we laughed. 

We gave them their attention.


If we treat everything they say as nonsensical humorism, they have no legs to stand on.

Like a sad 90's "As Seen on TV" commercial.

Their words become  insignificant.

Their slurs become emotionless, and empty.

Their viewpoints become forgotten.

And they fade away.


And know, we are laughing not at the suffering of others.

Most of these asshats don't have the eggs to carry out mass-killings and incarcerations.

So we are probably good there.


But they can hurt us on the immediate level with violent terrorism.

R.I.P.

But if we don't rally against them, instead dismissing their ideals as a farce (which it is), we can simply laugh at their stupidity.


Here's an example of what a future one-sided conversation could sound like.

"BAHAHAHAHAHA!! Good one Gus! Now do you have anything relevant to say?"


The notion, "They're not being heard.", is absolute garbage.

Just like Nazi's are absolute garbage.


It's either that, or we need a mole.

Someone on the inside.

Someone who can topple the ‘regime’ from within.

Crippling it.

But to that I say; There’s no need. 

They are the few, and we are the many.

We could choose to crush them at any moment.

But we won’t.

Because if what we chose to learn meant anything;

It would mean dignity, and respect.


And they sure as f**k don’t have any of that.

© 2017 VertigoHolmes


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

318 Views
Added on September 16, 2017
Last Updated on September 16, 2017
Tags: racism, bigotry, speech, charlottesville, trump

Author

VertigoHolmes
VertigoHolmes

Charlotte, NC



About
I am a writer, moving into the world of trying to get published. more..

Writing