Intro scene test (Needs reviewing and improvment)

Intro scene test (Needs reviewing and improvment)

A Story by Vincent Beasley
"

A young boy and his golden fox accompany a band of travelers as they journey through a foggy forest on a stormy night.

"
     The rain spiraled far above the gloomy forest. Autumn leaves fought among one-another as the trees below violently danced, giving birth to more, thrashing about as if listening to an entirely different beat. Several men with torches in hand, each brandishing some sort of tool or weapon in the other, walked along side a horse drawn carriage as it drew tracks in a muddy debris riddled path. Cautiously they scanned the surrounding thicket, eyes squinting from the rain as their torches sputtered. The struggling steeds fought to keep balance along the slippery trail as an awful noise bellowed from inside the wooden cell behind them. One of the men beat the side several times with his pitch fork as another frantically waved his torch before they quickly turning back to their watch. After a slow and cautious trek they were soon out of sight, disappearing through the foggy downpour.

    Deep among the trees a small fire sat just inside an opening in a rocky hillside cavelet, several figures hunched over, begging for its warmth. The storm had caught them from behind and night was swiftly approaching. Being caught off guard in an area like this was treacherous, and they all knew it. The animals of the forest would never speak to uninvited travelers, nor did they want them to. A cry for help, or a scream for that matter, would fall on deaf ears. They were alone. Or rather, they wished they were alone. Most people may have held a conversation with the hounds in the villages or the occasional caged bird, but the forest craved it’s solitude. A solitude that was abruptly broken that night.

    Through the opening and far past the misty trees were flickering lights set atop a hill. Lights that were far from warm. Far from inviting. A village surrounded by a great stone wall. They had decided to pass it by earlier that evening. Even with darkened clouds slowly approaching they had chosen the muddy trail leading into the dark thickets. The cold dead trees seemed more like old friends in comparison. Most men would know to steer clear of such a vile place, but that night they had no other choice but to stop and seek shelter in the hillside before moving on.

    One of the men surrounding the fire spoke quietly.

    “Did you see what they were carrying in that carriage?”

    There was a long pause before the man next to him shifted his weight and replied.

    “No, but I sure as hell heard it.”

    “I hear they burn them at the stake once they’ve tortured them enough.”

    “Good riddance, one less of those blasted things the better.”

    A man across from them spoke up uneasily.

    “I don't plan to find out. I think we should leave before dawn. This place is a bad omen.”

    “Aye, but I think it best that we get some rest while we still can. Traveling in a storm at this hour is one thing, but a trek through the forests is another. I had an uneasy feeling as we passed through. I think the crows were watching.”

    “Perhaps you're right. We’ve avoided peril thus far, best we end this journey on the right foot.”

    “In that case I say we get the boy to watch for us. This was his idea in the first place.”

    They all nodded in agreement. Two of the men sitting next to each other peered over their shoulders.

    “Did you hear that boy?” One of them spoke out gruffly.

    At the far end of the dark and dank shelter a small figure sat huddled, blanketed by a mud smeared cloak. A golden fox lay next to him, his snout on his knee. The boy looked out from under his tattered hood with a rigid look.

    “We need all the rest we can get seeing as we’re the ones doing most of the work.” One of them grumbled.

    Without a reply the boy gently woke his animal friend and gave him a soft pat on the head.

    “Come on Alrik” He said as he slowly stood to his feet, the fox next to him letting out a yawn.

    After grabbing the bag next to him and allowing his friend a few stretches the two made their way over to the crackling fire.

    “Ivor, was it?” The men asked as he snapped a piece of kindle wood and threw it into the fire.

    The boy nodded in response.

    “Come, sit.” He continued with a motion. “This is important.”

    The boy laid his tattered pack next to him and sat as the other two men began to gather their things.

    “Listen to me closely. I don't want your little ‘friend’ there talking to anything else out there. As a matter of fact, I don't want it talking to any of my men either. Keep it quiet and this will all go over smoothly.”

    The fox’s head shot up with a glare. After a moment he let out a huff, deciding it wasn't worth the hassle, and trotted over to other side of the fire. The man let out a chuckle as Ivor shot him a stern look as well.

    “Not much for words I see. I think that's best.” The man finished off as he stood and turned away.




© 2017 Vincent Beasley


Author's Note

Vincent Beasley
Very short intro scene for critic purposes only. Please leave a review on improvements to the story , overall structure and grammar.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
Added on July 1, 2017
Last Updated on July 3, 2017

Author

Vincent Beasley
Vincent Beasley

Texarkana, TX