Games of Madness: Only Human

Games of Madness: Only Human

A Story by Vincent Vercelli
"

Very short passage in first person.

"

The imagination of a human being is a truly wondrous thing.  A pile of couch cushion becomes a fortress, a playground becomes a castle, and any stick might be the sword by which liberation will be given to a nation enslaved.  Through life our imagination feeds at every opportunity; while reading books, or watching movies, or playing games, or simply being lost in our own world, our imagination grows in strength as any muscle might, given the proper exercise.  As adults this process seems to slow when we begin to take on more and more responsibilities; reading and watching movies are still commonly a part of an adult’s life, but even those activities are reduced to make room for things we all have to do.  There are of course, those of us who bring a bit of that childhood with us.  I am proud to say that I can still often be found lost in thought, reading, playing video games, writing for pure entertainment, and watching movies.  A life spent in your imagination can be anything you want it to be; and although that may seem like an unhealthy alternative to facing reality, sometimes you just have to get away for a while.  And after all, because your imagination has no limits other than the restraints that you put on yourself, you can not only defy reality, but you can defy your own morality as well.  Being a knight or a soldier might have been fun as a kid, but as an adult when you are escaping the world that you are chained so heavily to, there are some ideas that fester in your mind that are not quite so innocent: adulterer, thief…murderer.  Perhaps there are other means to deal with things, but I know that when I get angry, the best solution is the feeling I get as I dream of planting a knife between someone’s ribs while holding my hand over their mouth and looking into their eyes as their life seeps away under my control.  To exterminate a life from the world is to feel the true power that we have; killing someone doesn't just stop that person from living, it affects everyone that they interact with in daily life.  And yet, despite the ripple effect that killing has on the world, people with less significance are often simply replaced without much notice.  Sure the families and friends mourn for a while, but they all soon just move on and go about their lives as normal: new employees are hired, new friends are made, etc.  Yet for a brief time that world is changed by their absence, and the person who extinguished them becomes important.  The infestation of the weak and the insignificant should be washed away just as the sinners of the world were in the great flood.  Should not those be punished whom choose to use the life that God gave them for things other than to better the world?  In my eyes they are equal to the scum that were exterminated thousands of years ago.  So when you ask me if I have any regrets, before you start the injection, I’ll tell you that I do not.  For stopping me will only make room for another to take my place.  Judge me how you will, call me a mad killer, but my actions are justified in my eyes, and who better than me to judge what I am?  After all, we are only human.

© 2012 Vincent Vercelli


Author's Note

Vincent Vercelli
I have proof read this just briefly, so I apologize for any mechanical errors, feel free to point them out, though I am more interested in what you think of the idea itself. As a side note, I could not help but think of the character Victor Zsasz from batman.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Having read your thoughtful essay, I've recalled Jack London's 'The Star Rover' ('The Jacket'). Each one of us is the creator of a personal universe which may be much spacious than the world we live in and much uncommon than way of life most people live. As to the violence I must say this world has been flooded and quite fed up with it. After all, we are human.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I was very interested whilst reading this. Looking on it now, I feel like the way it went onto killing was almost like the imagination just going off. It was just all very interesting.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I like th e way u give so much detail to how people loose there imagination over the years an how deep u go into the mind of a killer an how he sees no wrong in what he does cause to him the ones in the wrong are the ones that abuse there humanity an don't do anything but make the world harder to live in ..... idk if this is the kind of opinion u were looking for but I think it was thoughtfuly written

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Having read your thoughtful essay, I've recalled Jack London's 'The Star Rover' ('The Jacket'). Each one of us is the creator of a personal universe which may be much spacious than the world we live in and much uncommon than way of life most people live. As to the violence I must say this world has been flooded and quite fed up with it. After all, we are human.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

410 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 29, 2012
Last Updated on November 15, 2012
Tags: only, human, insane, killer, lethal, injection, twist, death, serial, murderer

Author

Vincent Vercelli
Vincent Vercelli

About
You can best learn about a person by what they read, and what they write. Take a look at my work. more..

Writing