Time For It

Time For It

A Story by Ian Faraway
"

This was a class assignment so I only had like an our to make this, so it's sort of bad

"
    Ken was in Hanger 16 of a space city orbiting around Jupiter. He was tan with a muscular body and blue eyes and black hair. He was a loner ever since his whole family was killed in a shuttle launch incident. He kept himself to himself and he excelled in everything he did because he had nothing else to lose and if he stopped, he would just go into a depressed state of mind where all he thought about was being the last of his family.
    He was looking down into the engine of a F200 Fighter SpaceJet. He wasn't a fighter pilot or even in the military but he liked the speed the F200 had. Plus the F200 had a special feature that he could not pass up. The fighter's gas was hydrogen, the gas that Jupiter is mostly made of, along with a few other gases. All he had to do was fly along the outer atmosphere of Jupiter and his jet would suck in and collect all hydrogen he could handle, which was a pretty good amount.
    Right now, Ken was preparing to fly out to Pluto to a meeting that he was invited to by a secret sender. Of course, he had an idea who it might have been but he couldn't be sure until he got there. He didn't know what the meeting was about but he was going, he didn't really have anything else waiting for him. He had nothing else to lose. The only information he got about the meeting was that it was on Pluto and the people were part of the Galaxy Military. It could've been his mother for all he knew, the Galaxy Military was the most enormous military force in the known history of man kind. Spies, cooks, army, space fighters, intelligence were only the branches inside the Galaxy Military.
    Ken closed the engine's hood and went back into a small room closest to the exit of the hanger into the city. He grabbed a bag that was full of papers and clothes and tossed it into the "trunk" of the jet, which was a small compartment behind the pilot's seat. He went back into the room and changed into a jumper suit that was made by pretty thin fabric. But this fabric resisted against Pluto's harsh temperatures and kept his body cold. He grabbed the air tanks and helmet and went back towards the jet.
   He was about to get into the jet when he noticed a shadowed figure standing by the exit of the hanger in the corner of his eye. The figure was just standing there watching him with hands in their pocket. He ignored them and got into the pilot seat. He put his pointy finger on a button right above him and looked back towards the exit. The figure was gone.
    He pressed the button and the hanger's doors opened and he went out into the pre-flight runway. He checked his gauges and then proceeded to the runway. He glanced up towards the stars, the only thing separating him from them was thick glass keeping oxygen in and space hostility out. He glanced forward and glared at the blinking green and red lights going along the runway, which started going up towards a metal door that opened. He put his hand around the throttle and pushed forward gently. Slowly, he gained speed until he was glaring down at the space city, which looked like one multi-colored ball from the outside.
    He shifted his throttle towards Jupiter's outer atmosphere, as he approached he pressed a pink button to his right. A female voice came up on the speaker." What is your command, Ken?" Ken smiled, the one person he still trusted was a computer.
    "Hey, Vic. How about we gather some hydrogen off of Jupiter's atmosphere so we can get out of here." The computer had a official name given to it by the company who made it but 'Vic' was just easier." One more thing, Vic. You think we can try NOT getting sucked towards the planet this time?" Ken said as he remembered last time he did this.
    "If you let me control then there should be no problems this time." She said teasingly. Ken shrugged innocently and pressed a green button and the 'autopilot' light went up above him. Ken looked out the cockpit towards the planet, he loved watching the planets and the orbits. It kept him somewhat sane and it meant he wasn't as big as others thought he was. He pressed a button above him and video feed appeared on the windshield showing Jupiter's surface. He watched the bumps and the strong clouds. It was amazing that if he was to stand on the surface, he would just fall through.
    He watched the video for five minutes before Vic came back on." Collection complete. Is there anything else you would like, Ken?" She said.
    "What are our options for in-flight drinks, Vic?" He smirked at the small joke.
    "The usual, Ken. Nothing's going to change unless you add something." She was obviously not amused.
    Ken thought for a moment."Ah hell, I'll have a TRA with ice please. And you seem a little grumpy today, Vic." A cup popped out in the cupholder and a black tube appeared from above him and poured green liquid into the cup. TRA was a soda type drink, it was like Vault... which Ken's digestive system had a hatred for. TRA was designed to improve concentration and helped travelers stay awake when they needed to for as long as they wanted with little or no side affect of missing sleep. When he wanted to go to sleep and eliminate the TRA in his system, he would drink another one. The second TRA would mix with the first and eliminate both chemicals.
    "No, Ken. I'm fine. I just don't want you going to Pluto. I know something's going to go wrong." She said with a mother voice.
    "What's going to go wrong, Vic?" He responded impatiently." I'm going to be fine, you know I can take care of myself."
    "Oh, so you saved yourself on Mars when those intergalactic drug dealers decided to kill you after carrying their merchandise to them?" She snapped back.
    "Ok, fine! You saved me, but I needed the money. In my defense, they would probably would not have tried to kill me if someone did not tell me to try dumping the drugs into a dumpster." Dumpster being a vessel that just floated around the galaxy.
    "Well I still saved you a*s. What makes you think it's going to be any different at this meeting?" She said with concern.
    "Ok, ONE it's form the Galaxy Military. TWO if I'm in trouble then they're busting me in a peaceful way and not with a PHASER. THREE the only way to find out if it's different than the drug dealer incident is to go. If things get messy, I brought my own protection." PHASER was a type of machine fun that was as favorited as the AK47, which is less used now.
    "Oh you think that one gun is going to save your butt when something goes down....against the Galaxy Military?" She tried yelling. "What if it's a set up and not the Galaxy Military? Remember the slave trader?"
    "Ok, that wasn't fair. I did not know he was transporting slaves to Earth and the set up was to get them back when I freed them. It was the right thing. It's a different situation. But we're going to find out when we get there!" He said with a half insane laugh. Ken clicked 'autopilot' off and steered his ship a little farther out before using the gravity of the planet to slingshot his way around the planet. When he was around he shut off the engine and everything else, then he pressed a blue button to his left and then turned the engine back on. He counted to five before he took off into hyper speed.

© 2010 Ian Faraway


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You read requested me for this one, but I'm not very much so into sci-fi. The introduction didn't hook me in whatsoever; this defnitely is not your best piece. I have occaionally read sci-fi that I like, however, this was not one of them. I couldn't finish it. Sorry if I sound harsh, but if you request me to read something, you want my HONEST opinion-- no sugarcoating.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great imagination. I think it needs a little work but happyaccident pointed out the major issues. Keep writing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great story ,but I see alot of repetitiveness some words could be cut off.You have many run on sentences .Also using a thesaurus makes any story 10 times better .Think about that .Maybe if you clean it up and re-publish it I'll read it again

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 25, 2010
Last Updated on July 25, 2010

Author

Ian Faraway
Ian Faraway

Somewhere, NH



About
Ian Faraway is simply a pen name and is not my actual name. Here are a few things to note: 1. If you need me to read anything you've written, please feel free to PM me. Also, let me know if you.. more..

Writing
Darkness Darkness

A Poem by Ian Faraway