The Delusion

The Delusion

A Story by Ian Faraway
"

This is pretty much what happens to me most nights.

"

                It’s been getting worse. Every night the same thing will happen. I don’t know why it means. It just happens.

                In complete darkness, I’ll lay my head upon my pillow. My right hand is lying across the bed every time. I’ll sigh and close my eyes. That’s when it happens.

                I’ll feel pressure on the bed and something lay on my right shoulder. I would lift my lower right arm to feel what it is. My hands come in contact with something silky smooth. I go a bit farther to discover smooth and soft surface. Maybe it’s skin.

                I try using another sense. I try to listen. I hear a far away voice. As if it’s right there in my ear but somewhere else. Then I can faintly feel a slight breeze upon my skin.

                I feel pressure taking up my right side. I move my hands to investigate. There’s pressure on top of my right leg and my left hand comes in contact with another smooth and soft surface. It feels like skin, but it’s not mine. I don’t feel anything when I poke it.

                I slowly put the pieces together. The pressure on my bed is a person. The pressure on my leg is someone else’s leg. The silky smooth soft thread-like thing I first touched was hair. The slight breeze I feel on my skin is someone’s breath.

                If I listen closely to the far away voice, I can just make out what is said.

                It says,” I’ll be here when you need me.” I recognize the voice. Suddenly, time seems almost nonexistent and my heart starts racing like it’s determined to win a forever going race.

                It’s her. The person who is lying against me at that moment is her. I smile and open my eyes to look deep into hers.

                But my smile fades as I realize, I’m alone in the bed. I’m alone in the room. She was another delusional and I keep falling for the same one each night.

                I’ll look at the ceiling, and just before drifting into a dreamless sleep. I’ll look over to where I felt your presence and think. You’re not here… and I need you.

                Then total darkness.

                But I’ll awaken tomorrow knowing that when night comes, so will my desires so fierce. When the sun goes, so will my sanity.

© 2014 Ian Faraway


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved this story. The sensual connection to the darkness that was felt by this person is eerie and sort of awe inspiring. The character is clearly quite depressed, so much that his mind is manifesting the past and what he is craving. Well done, congratz on first place.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Written with great skill. The story got more interesting and the description allow the reader to fall into the thoughts and the emotion of this story. A very good ending to a excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


Perfect in stories as well as your poems. nicely dona d and for the story it was spooky at first but, just sad at the end. For when so many people make the hardest promise to always be their at the end they leave us alone creating our heart to fall so low and break so fast. You did a wonderful job with this story with descriptions an suspense and all. Excellent and keep up the story telling.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is kind of creepy but I liked it

Posted 13 Years Ago


gr8 poem

Posted 13 Years Ago


I really like this. Like you said, it's definitely sad, but it shows a lot of emotion.
You did a really good job with this(: (even though it's sad and all)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Interesting delusion.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

462 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 7, 2010
Last Updated on August 15, 2014
Tags: love, romance, insanity, night, dreams, delusions

Author

Ian Faraway
Ian Faraway

Somewhere, NH



About
Ian Faraway is simply a pen name and is not my actual name. Here are a few things to note: 1. If you need me to read anything you've written, please feel free to PM me. Also, let me know if you.. more..

Writing
Darkness Darkness

A Poem by Ian Faraway



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..