A dream I dreamed I dreamed.

A dream I dreamed I dreamed.

A Story by Martin Ramirez
"

My dream of a dream of a dream.

"
I fell asleep.
Then I woke up.

I woke up, and the world was what it had been when I had fallen asleep. I was staring at my roof, and it was still there. Just as it had been. My room was the same, and after getting up, the people I saw were the same. Things didn't feel different, and they weren't different.

I lived that day as I lived every day. I followed my monotonic way of living. I went to work, then went back home. I met with a few people during that. Two of them, Estebán and Julieta.
Estebán had been my friend since we were both children, but he began to drift away after he went to college, and I didn't. After that, I remember feeling as a stranger to him, and him to me.
I had just met Julieta a few weeks before. I talked to her every now and then, but I didn't really know her.

Something was different that day, though. When Julieta talked to me that day, she acted as if she had known me forever. She wasn't the girl I'd just met, who didn't know anything about me, and I knew nothing about her. Instead, she knew me. She knew everything about me. I didn't find this too strange. Perhaps she actually listened to what I said, and maybe I told her all those things.

What really made me think something was wrong, was when I talked to Estebán. He acted as if he had never gone to college, and we had still been friends that whole time. This confused me, but I was also delighted. The two people I knew, knew me. I was again friends with my old friend, and now with Julieta.

That day Julieta, Estebán, and I went to a coffee shop. I don't remember why. Coffee, perhaps. There, we talked, and talked, and talked. I was happy, as I had not been for so long. Everything was okay. Life wasn't what I had expected it to be, but at least I had my friend Estebán, and I had Julieta. Then, the day was over, and I went home.

I fell asleep.
Then I woke up.

I was staring at my roof, and it was still there. Everything around me was the same, as it had been the morning before. It was all what it had been, except I was smiling this time. I was happy about the day I had just lived.

Again, I lived that day as I lived every day, but happier. Oddly, the day was very similar to the last. At that point, that wasn't a bad thing. Until I met with Estebán. He was different. He didn't seem to remember anything about the day before. In fact, he didn't even know me. Or so he said. I took this as him saying that our friendship wasn't anymore.

Then, confused, I met with Julieta. I began by asking her of the coffee shop, with Estebán. She said it didn't happen, specifically because she didn't know me. She said I must have been dreaming.

Dreaming. I guess it makes sense. It could have been all just a dream. It wasn't something easy to accept, though, but I did. I guessed that the dream must have been a representation of what I wanted to happen. How I wanted my life to be.

What seemed weird to me, though, was that Julieta said she didn't know me, and so did Estebán. They at least knew I existed, and knew my name. We talked everyday. Not much, but we did. Perhaps I was still dreaming? I laid down on my bed.

I fell asleep.
Then I woke up.

I was staring at my roof, and it was still there. Everything seemed the same, but now I couldn't be sure they were. When I talked with Estebán, he was acting normal, again. Julieta was normal, as well. I was glad things were back to normal. I was awake.

Although I was happy to come back to reality, I'll never forget my dream within a dream. My dream of a world where I was still friends with Estebán, and where I knew Julieta. A place where I knew Julieta. I wish I could live in that dream. It may be just an illusion inside an illusion, but it felt more real to me than reality.

Now, everyday I wait for night, when I can dream again, and when I can go back to that dream within a dream, where my home is. When I'm there, when I fall asleep, I hope to never wake up.

© 2013 Martin Ramirez


Author's Note

Martin Ramirez
This story is not my story, but simply a dream I had. A dream of a dream of a dream. As you might see, there's not much to it, it's a story simply to be a story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow. That was very interesting. I really like the concept. For a moment when i read the quote and your note i was afraid that the transition between dreams would be confusing but it wasn't at all. It went it hand and hand quite smoothly. When i read this i thought about alternate dimensions. Anyhow, great write and well done. This read was very much enjoyed.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Martin Ramirez

11 Years Ago

Thanks.
Also, I was worried that having dreams within dreams would be too confusing, so I made.. read more
Croatoan

11 Years Ago

No problem. :)



Reviews

Wow. That was very interesting. I really like the concept. For a moment when i read the quote and your note i was afraid that the transition between dreams would be confusing but it wasn't at all. It went it hand and hand quite smoothly. When i read this i thought about alternate dimensions. Anyhow, great write and well done. This read was very much enjoyed.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Martin Ramirez

11 Years Ago

Thanks.
Also, I was worried that having dreams within dreams would be too confusing, so I made.. read more
Croatoan

11 Years Ago

No problem. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 1, 2013
Last Updated on January 4, 2013

Author

Martin Ramirez
Martin Ramirez

Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico



About
Quién yo soy, lo sé yo, y nadie más deberá saberlo. Aunque si quieren, diré poco. I'm a mediocre author, whose only writing experiences come from reading. My writ.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Martin Ramirez