If Only.....

If Only.....

A Story by Skye

The light pitter patter of rain continued, lulling as the most soothing lullaby. It made it easy to let go of the past days events-- of everything that had brought nothing but pain. If I closed my eyes and just breathed--in and out-- I could almost pull away and let my mind relax. That is, until I was faced with reality once again. Then I would spiral down, down, down, where nothing was clear or made any sense. Where I was trapped by haunting memories of what used to be, of what could have been. 
All of the pictures of us were smashed, torn uncaringly from the wall in a blind rage. The room we'd shared for two years avoided at all costs. Dishes from our last night together abandoned in the sink. I hadn't eaten, had barely slept--the dark bags beneath my eyes were testament to that. 
Messages left on the phone from frantic and worried friends weren't welcome. They made everything too real, brought on thoughts I've tried so hard to bury. Even as I sat here, curled up on the couch facing the open, uncurtained window, the phone's shrill ring disturbed my silence. Again came Cammie's voice through the speaker. She seemed to call the most, but didn't dare try and show up here. None of them would. 
"Sofie, please pick up the phone. You're scaring me. You're scaring all of us. We're worried about you, and we miss you. I love you, but I can't help you if you keep pushing us away." The line went dead with a resounding beep. 
I grabbed at my tangled hair, pulling at it anxiously.
"We, we, they, they, you, you. He's GONE. GONE! AND HE'S NOT COMING BACK! EVER! NOT FOR YOU, NOT EVEN for me." My final words were whimpers as I choked on a sob and my chest heaved violently.
"He's gone." I blubbered, wrapping my arms around my knees. "He's gone, and now....and now I'll never see him again...."
A sudden spurt of irrational thoughts clouded my vision and I stumbled almost drunkenly toward the hall. 
"It has to be here." I whispered vehemently. Digging through the basket of broken glass on hands and knees, I caught sight of the corner and yanked it toward me. It was torn--and now bloody from my fingers that had been sliced apart, but his face was still there, smiling from under his hand as he shaded his beautiful eyes from the sun. I smiled back, inching into the corner unable to let my own eyes wonder away from his. Taking a shuddering breath, I brought the photo to my lips and kissed the only one who'd ever meant anything. 

© 2012 Skye


Author's Note

Skye
I wrote this the other day, and I know its not great but tell me what you think anyway. Thanks for reading me. :)

I don't have a pic for this yet, because I have this certain image in my head that I want it to be and I won't settle for anything else. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The cruelty of Death's separation comes in many shapes and forms. It seems to ignite an even more powerful craving for Life and Love, hiding in the depth of our being. Your writing brought this awareness into my heart, touching the universal cry of all who thirst for the fulfillment of our God-given need to be joined as one to Love.

Posted 11 Years Ago


true love only comes once upon a time, I hear. what a sorrowful write, Skye. Raw emotions and great imagery, really got into the feel of it. makes me wonder where he went, and why... great job ~em

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Skye

11 Years Ago

Thank you for your wonderful review I appreciate it! :)
This is really good :) Good job!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Skye

11 Years Ago

Thank you :)
I don't know, I am confused as to what's happening here. It would be really good if it didn't confuse me xD Good emotion, lacking some detail, but still :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Ella

11 Years Ago

If you explain it to me, it makes me feel stupid xD
Skye

11 Years Ago

not stupid! I left it out on purpose lol :)
Ella

11 Years Ago

xD So?
I can just feel this taking place...Very well written, it really evokes the reader's emotions!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very nice piece indeed, thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Skye

11 Years Ago

Thank You :)
its amazing!! I love the emotion thats in it. GREAT WORK!!!!!!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Skye

11 Years Ago

Thanks Amanda!
I love this! Great and awesome like always! =)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Skye

11 Years Ago

Thanks :)
I really love this! How you could express so much emotion and tell such a poignant story in just a few paragraphs is beyond me! Beautiful!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Skye

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much, i'm glad you like it :)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

794 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 26, 2012
Last Updated on December 27, 2012

Author

Skye
Skye

Virginia Beach, VA



About
Sometimes, I forget my passion underneath the demands of life and want of perfection. Then there are those nights where everything is clear, and I can't help but write what I feel. I love meeting .. more..

Writing
Stereotypes Stereotypes

A Poem by Skye



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Wishing Well Wishing Well

A Story by Skye


Burns Burns

A Poem by Baby Ricochet