Move On

Move On

A Story by Ayza Soza
"

When someone important in your life is taken from you, sometimes cutting yourself off from others is the right thing to do.

"

MOVE ON

 

 

 

My family’s life force died that day; a miserable day consisting of high intensity winds and frightening thunderstorms. Up until that moment, my family had lived in the most perfect of dreams filled with success, happiness and all the fortunes of the world. We awoke from that dream two weeks ago and found ourselves in a nightmare of reality that we never thought possible. In a way, I guess with all the luck my family has had since before I was born, we had it coming to us.

I locked myself in my room with curtains drawn; coming out only for food and the occasional bathroom trip. I haven’t been to school for two weeks, and my mom, knowing that I was still grieving allowed it, even though my brother had returned after the funeral. This was my darkest of moments, when usually I was filled with life and color. I hated feeling like this, but there was no helping it.

Lying on my bed, I flipped through channels on the TV. Nothing truly caught my interest as the number of reject TV channels grew higher. The glow of the TV in the dark room started to hurt my eyes. Turning the power off, I pulled the covers further over my body and faced the windows; tears falling from my eyes once again. Numerous trails had already been left along my soft cheeks, or at least I assumed.

There was a soft knock on my door from the outside world. The voice of my mother traveled through the wood, “Meghan, it’s mom, can I come in?”

I gave her permission through more of a grunt then actual words. With that she entered; allowing much light into my dark abode. She stood silent at the entrance, probably staring at the scattered articles of clothing and the piles of neglected dirty dishes that were stacked throughout the room. “Well at least I know where my dishes have gone,” she said trying to break the silence.

I grunted back.

Sighing, she started talking, “Meghan, listen, it’s been two weeks. I think it’s about time you get back to school. You’ve missed enough and I highly doubt that the school is going to allow anymore absences. Do you feel alright to go tomorrow?”

This time, I managed to summon actual words from my chest, “I don’t know if I can. It’s still too soon. I wouldn’t be able to focus.”

“Meghan, I’ve tried to be the nice guy about this, but whether you like it or not, your dad isn’t coming back and that’s something you’re going to have to get through your head. Do you expect to spend the rest of your life mourning for him?”

I tossed the covers off and sat up quickly, “I can’t do it. I just can’t. I’m not strong enough yet to realize that he won’t come through that door ever again.” The tears swelled up again in my eyes.

She sat down beside me on my bed. “I realize this is hard on you, but remember, you’re not the only one who lost someone here. Your brother has been back in school for a week and a half and I’ve been back at work for almost the amount of time you’ve been in here.”

“I’m not Bryan and I’m not you. It takes me longer to handle things. What can’t you understand about that?”

“I understand it perfectly. It’s a lot for a 16 year old to bare, but you got to eventually face the reality of the situation and move on with your life, the way your father would have wanted it. Do you honestly thing your father would approve of you moping around like this, mourning for him, or do you thing he’d want you out there living your life to the fullest. That’s what I’ve been doing. I’m honoring your father in every moment continue on with my life. Isn’t it about time you did the same?”

I was speechless. The tears that had swelled up moments earlier were now falling down my cheek, like the many before them. I laid my head down on my mother’s legs crying. She stroked my hair with her hands, which had always calmed me down when I was growing up.

She was right, just like she always was. I knew my father was dead and that he couldn’t come back. I knew that two weeks ago, but failed to believe that. My mother, being the strong woman I’ve always known her to be has continued on with her life, despite the sudden death of her spouse. No one lost as much as she had and me acting like this was selfish.

“I’m here to help you sweetheart. The one way I am is by getting you out of this damn room and back into the world,” my mother explained.

I had calmed down now and the tears had stopped falling. Looking up at her, I spoke in a slightly, quiet voice, “I know your right mom. I’ll try for you, and because it’s what dad would want.”

My mom smiled. “Good. How about you get yourself into a bath, get yourself situated for tomorrow and then dinner around 6:30, ok?”

I lifted my head off her legs, nodding to her suggestion. I sat up in bed, with my hair probably in a mess of knots. I looked around my room seeing all of mom’s scattered dishes and my dirty clothes across the room. Never had I seen my room this dirty.

My mother stood up off the bed and walked towards the door. At the frame, she turned around and said to me, “When you’re in the bath, I’ll come up and grab the dishes. When dinner is ready, I’ll call you down.”

“Ok.”

She continued to look at me and with a sweet voice she said, “I love you Meghan.”

“Love you too mom.”

She left me alone in my room, to take care of myself. I got up, as she suggested, took a shower and got ready for tomorrow. It wasn’t going to be easy for me to catch up on two weeks worth of assignments, but I promised myself I would try my best, for mom and for dad.

 

 

© 2008 Ayza Soza


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Ayza Soza
i haven't looked at this in over a year, and was wondering what people would think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow! You kept me intriqued through the whole story, i can feel such a write from my heart, if I can feel a love and some pressure off this write I know somoene else ahould. It takes alot to hold my insterest. I like to read stories but I have bad eye sight. I got through after my eyes adjust again Ilmm come back and
read another one. Or you maybe you can suggest one you think is your best and I"ll look at it.

This story captivavted me and held it's theme and plot. i like this.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

286 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 20, 2008
Last Updated on October 20, 2008

Author

Ayza Soza
Ayza Soza

Wall Twp, NJ



About
My name is Anthony. I'm 19 years old and am currently a sophomore at High Point University. Let me get this out of the way, I'm horrible with poems; both writing and reviewing. If anyone who writes .. more..

Writing
Part I Part I

A Chapter by Ayza Soza