Shades of Red

Shades of Red

A Story by Ayza Soza
"

I came across this story, having forgotten that I wrote it. I even surprised myself with what happened in the story. I wrote it for a class in college. Hope you enjoy.

"

Shades of Red

 

The trust that had been shared between us had sunk like so many ships into the large ocean, unwilling to let anyone or anything survive. I didn’t want to believe that the man I had shared so much of my life with in holy matrimony would be capable of the infidelity that now stared at me like a ravenous beast.

            “How could he do this to me?” I asked myself internally. The endless fits of hyperventilation and crying kept me from uttering them externally. These questions usually went unanswered, and returned me to my feelings of denial. That damn first step that had me chained there for what seemed to be eternity.

            The clues had been there for months, but it was that damn step, the denial I felt inside me that kept me from questioning, accusing or even to willingly notice these obvious breaks in our marital contract. It was continuing to plague my shattered heart that I was so oblivious, and yet it’s my own fault for not accepting there was a problem in existence. The faded, red lipstick I found on his business suit, the lingering strand of red hair that was attached to his suit jacket like a parasite, the consistent attending of business trips to tropical locations where overexposure to the sun would leave one as red as a lobster and the late hours spent in the office all sent alarm bells off in my head, but I never wanted to accept them.

            I spent the next couple of months after he left questioning me. “Had I given him too much freedom? Had I been too trusting? Had it been an unavoidable event that had been predestined from the start? What had I done that had driven him away?”

            I was blaming myself, not him for everything. It was me that drove him into the arms of that illustrious red head who I know goes by the name of Scarlett. I wasn’t what he wanted and I wish I had known before spending so much time with him.

            I had been begging and pleading for acceptance, to be able to move on with my life, to forget the biggest deceit ever experienced in my own life. That is what brought me to here, back to the house we shared, that they now share. I caught them in our marital bed, tainted now with the rotten stench of adultery. Those white sheets had been kept pure by our love, but now were infested with the lustrous desires that were fed by one another.

            Their skin had now drained to a ghostly white, as the once white sheets were turning into a crimson red. Blood ran from each of the bullet wounds. A trail ran down the vixen’s hands and fingertips, landing in a puddle on the floor. He had been beautiful, but his inner being was evil. Now thanks to my minor alterations, they now matched. A pool of his blood gathered under his hair as he lay on the bed, his mistress right beside him.

            Each of them had killed a part of me. He had robbed me of years of my life and the fairytale romance I thought we had. She robbed me of the love of my life and since they had both unfairly robbed me, I felt it justifiable to rob them of their lives, never to be among the living again.

            I tossed the smoking gun onto the floor, and stood near the window, looking out onto the quiet, suburban neighborhood. Sirens could be heard in the distance, and neighbors, dressed in bathrobes and sleeping attire all congregated outside of their houses, trying to answer what that noise had been. I stared out at them, and I had no plans of fleeing. One by one, police cruisers lined the road in front of the house, their red and blue lights flashing wildly. They streamed across the front yard in through the windows of the bed room where I stood. The red light lit up my face and the walls of the room. That damn color red was now everywhere I looked and all I could see.

© 2011 Ayza Soza


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love it, it's what every woman dreams of doing when she's been cheated on and you brought it to life beautifully in your story. I loved it, well done!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

326 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 18, 2011
Last Updated on May 18, 2011

Author

Ayza Soza
Ayza Soza

Wall Twp, NJ



About
My name is Anthony. I'm 19 years old and am currently a sophomore at High Point University. Let me get this out of the way, I'm horrible with poems; both writing and reviewing. If anyone who writes .. more..

Writing
Part I Part I

A Chapter by Ayza Soza


Part II Part II

A Chapter by Ayza Soza