3

3

A Chapter by Walker Andreasen

Rhett

 

                As he jogged back to Ralph’s his mind raced but couldn’t seem to stay on one thought long enough to fully think it through. Was Rachel ok? What did this mean for us? Are we going to have to move again? Will we have to leave without Rachel? What if they come into this valley? How many can twelve of us hold off? That thought was the one that stuck the longest. He knew at best it usually took three to four men to take on one Reaper. How many men did they have? He considered himself a man, he hit puberty already so his body said he was ready to be a man. He’s finally starting to shave, true it’s just a few patches here and there, but was that enough? Was all his skill combined with his young adult body enough to consider himself a man enough to help take on a Reaper? If so that means… four. Four men, one pre-teen boy, two ten year-old girls, a twelve and a thirteen year-old girl, a 35 year-old woman, and then Old Lady Judy.

                Judy Dinch was, according to her, “Not a day over 80.” But he had never seen her do anything but rock in her chair on her porch and stare off into space. He did not know anything about her besides she was just a young girl when the Collapse happened. He didn’t know if she could fight and if she could what was her limits? Abilities? He knew that sometimes people could surprise you, so he doesn’t take anyone at face-value right off the bat. He waits, and studies. He knew that Old Lady Judy might surprise him if it came down to it. And he also knew that she could just as easily be useless.

                He slowed his pace to a walk as he came to the front walk of Ralph’s house. As he took long strides up the steps Rodge came outside and met him on the porch. “What’d he say?” Rodge asked him in a flat, monotone voice. When they first got here Rhett would have thought that he was emotionless and asked just out of politeness but after getting to know him the past few months Rhett learned that yes, on the outside he was hard and stern showing little emotion. But that was his defense against the world; not letting anyone see his weakness. But Rhett knew that he was more caring than anyone he has ever met, maybe even his dad. So when Rodge asked him in that deep, monotone voice that showed no real concern, Rhett looked into his eyes to confirm for his own comfort that he did in fact care.

                “He said no.” Rhett said. Rodge looked up and over him towards the direction of Rhett’s house and stared off as if he was in deep thought.

                “Figures.” Was the only reply that came from Rodger Williams. With that he turned around and went back inside, holding the screen door open for Rhett. Rhett followed and let the door close behind him.

                “Where’s Old Lady Judy?” Rhett inquired.

                “Bathroom.” He replied as he plopped down on the old couch, draping his right arm across his eyes. Rhett stood in the middle of the living room for a moment before taking up a spot beside Rodge. He sat there a moment before he heard Sten yelling from upstairs. He couldn’t make out what he was saying so he stood up and headed for the stairs. Half way up he met Sten who was barreling down the stairs.

                “Come on!” He yelled, grabbing his brother’s arm pulling him upstairs.

                “What’s wrong, Sten?” Rhett asked, resisting in the slightest not thinking it was anything of vast importance but to Sten.

                “It’s dad, you t**d!” He replied, pulling even harder. That grabbed Rhett’s attention as he thought their father was still at the house. He followed Sten up the stairs right on his heels to the attic. In the attic there was a hole in the roof that was used to climb out. Bolted, screwed, and nailed to the roof was a makeshift deck used as a look out, or perhaps just a spot to relax and enjoy the day or stare at the stars. But as Rhett clambered onto the deck his eyes instantly locked onto the figure who was running at a dead sprint in their direction. Draped over his shoulder looked like a small child. Hot in pursuit was a figure clothed from head to foot in black and they were moving faster, slowly closing in on the man as if a predator to prey. Rhett scooped up the binoculars and focused them in that general direction. He recognized his dad with Sariah over his shoulder, and he didn’t even need to look at the other figure to know who it was. Rhett set the binoculars down and knew he needed to go get Rodge. But as if by apparition He heard Rodge’s voice behind him mumble under his breath, “S**t.”

Rhett didn’t even hear him climb up here. It would have been hard with his large stature but Rhett also knew that his blood and adrenaline was pumping with such ferocity he probably did hear it but paid it no mind. He turned and looked at his younger brother as Rodge climbed back down off the roof. Sten’s face was white as snow, all color drained from him. His eyes wide with worry and fear. Rhett returned his brother’s gaze as if he was a mirror.



© 2016 Walker Andreasen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
Added on September 28, 2016
Last Updated on September 28, 2016


Author

Walker Andreasen
Walker Andreasen

Grafenwoehr, Bayern, Germany



About
If you're going to stop by, please at least leave a review before you go! My name is Walker Andreasen and writing is my passion. I write everything from stories to songs. The only thing I haven't wri.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Walker Andreasen


2 2

A Chapter by Walker Andreasen


4 4

A Chapter by Walker Andreasen