Clothes Maketh the Man

Clothes Maketh the Man

A Story by Wandering Violet
"

Shopping for clothes is what most women love, but when you're not free to be yourself, it's a kind of Hell...

"

Clothes Maketh the Man

 

 I wanted that jacket.  It was cream with fake metal buttons - big engraved things, double-breasted and four on each sleeve. And the price tag was only $49.99, I could afford it.

 

But I didn’t even take it off the rack to try on, because I knew I wouldn’t buy it.  Instead I made myself focus on a pile of frilly tops, little floaty things a ballerina might like.  So feminine, so pretty, so totally what I did not want to wear. 

 

You look lovely, Lisa, Mum said tenderly to me last week. I wish you’d wear that top more often, it brings out the blue of your eyes.

 

Maybe it did, but I loathed it.  I was happiest in jeans and a shirt for casual, or for more dressed up occasions, something formal and suit-like.  The more masculine the style, the better I liked it. 

 

Not that I could ever tell Mum though " that was why I resolutely picked up a disgusting piece of silky stuff and carried it to the counter.  I hoped Mum would be pleased.

 

As I swiped my credit card and keyed in the PIN, I glanced sideways at the customer to my right.  She was a confident young woman, cute short dark hair and a tattoo visible on her neck. 

 

I dragged my eyes away, because she was buying one of those jackets that I wanted. 

© 2011 Wandering Violet


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it. :) I thought it was very comical at the end when Lisa saw another woman buying the same jacket that she had wanted. I could almost feel her envy through your writing. Great job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

403 Views
1 Review
Added on September 7, 2011
Last Updated on September 8, 2011
Tags: gay, lesbian, cross-dressing, conflict, coming out

Author

Wandering Violet
Wandering Violet

New Zealand



About
I’m Wandering Violet, a young Kiwi writer. I hope you enjoy reading my ramblings :-) I’m a great believer in equality, and I hate discrimination in all forms. I'm lesbian and Chris.. more..

Writing