The Leaf Boy

The Leaf Boy

A Story by A. V. Madison
"

I got assigned to do a story based on irony and romance in my English class. So the Leaf Boy, a story of Calvin and Brill l was created. Please, review! I need input!

"

July 14th, 1962, 10:17 AM, Yorkshire England, Nathaniel Park

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

 

White sunlight cascades down onto the faces of two innocent young children as they play in the grass. The boy, a five year old lad, was named Calvin Adams, spotted the platinum blonde little girl swinging all alone on the bright yellow swing. He stumbled over on his skinny little toddler legs to her. Her dark green eyes shifted over to his face, and she smiled kindly.

"Hello," She was so young, only four years old, and her English accent had already set in so heavily, accompanied sweetly by a slight lisp.

"Hello, I'm Calvin." Calvin sat down on the bark next to the swing. The little girl jumped down and sat across from him.

"I'm Brill." She looked up at the boy's slight features, though he was looking down and most of his face was sheathed by dark brown hair.

"That's a weird name," Calvin's nose scrunched up, and Brill's smile vanished.

"So is Calvin," She sighed quietly.

"No, there is a lot of people named Calvin," He cried out angrily.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you mad." Brill stood up and turned to walk away.

"I'm not mad though," Calvin grabbed her elbow, "Want to go climb the tree me?"

Brill nodded and ran over to the tall, winding oak tree in the high grass.

Calvin skidded to a halt all of a sudden and cocked his head to the side.

"There's a red leaf, but all the others are green." He pointed to a tiny little red leaf that hung on a branch near the ground.

"Yeah, so?" Brill asked.

"Let's get it! I'll race you." Calvin grinned slightly.

"Okay!" Brill smiled back.

They both darted up the tree, their small figures jumping around in the branches gracefully.

Calvin reached up and snatched the leaf down.

"I got it! I got-"

"No fair!" Exclaimed Brill.

"Here, you can have it, Brill." He handed it to her.

Off in the distance, Calvin's mother called for him.

"I have to go."

"Bye, Calvin." Brill waved sadly towards him.

"Bye, Brill."

Calvin ran off towards his mother while Brill watched sorrowfully. It was the first time she had ever lost a friend.

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

Nineteen years later, Yorkshire, England, Nathaniel Park

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

 

Twenty-three-year-old Brill McEve sits quietly on the same swing she sat on nineteen years ago, tears streaming down her face.

Brill never knew why whenever she came to this park, she cried. All she could remember was spending her childhood here. She could barely even remember Calvin, only his face, and even that was slowly fading away.

A man, twenty-four years in age, sees her crying. Out of sheer kindness, he walks over to her, and kneels down by the swing.

"You look sad." He says bluntly.

Brill sighs and looks up at him. She brushes her blonde hair out of her face and smiles through the pain.

"I know I look upset, but I'm not. I can't help crying when I come to this park," She says softly.

"Why do you cry?" The man says, suddenly interested.

"I don't know, honestly," She giggles.

"I'm Calvin," He reaches to shake her hand.

"Brill."

She shakes it and smiles, but while she's putting her hand back onto her lap, a little glass mirror falls from her pocket, and to Calvin's feet.

He picks it up and opens it.

"Oh, that's my..."

The leaf that was given to her falls to the ground. He picks it up and smiles at it.

"You know, I gave a leaf that looked just like this to a girl here once. And in this park. About twenty years ago."

"Really? I'm sure you're filled with many interesting stories." She stands.

"I am. Maybe would you like to get some coffee with me?" He offered, extending his hand.

"Sure." She took it, grabbed her purse off the ground, and they walked off towards the street.

 

 

© 2012 A. V. Madison


Author's Note

A. V. Madison
Eventually, they got married, had children, and grew old together. The only problem was that Brill and Calvin never remembered fully recognized each other, so they lived their life, never knowing that Brill was the Leaf Girl, and Calvin was the Leaf Boy.

GOOD ENOUGH TO TURN IN? :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Not half bad at least you'd get a B but if it were me I'd give an A!

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is really good :) I like how you moved from when they were kids to the time they were adults.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

241 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 28, 2012
Last Updated on December 28, 2012
Tags: romance, tragedy, irony, assignment, kids, children

Author

A. V. Madison
A. V. Madison

Only a Kid, But Hard To Scare, CA



About
I'm Maddie. Clumsy. Short-tempered. Quite an oddball. Sort of silly. I make big plans then never do them. I have a fascination with tiny lights. I have atelophobia and OCD. I am the definition.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by A. V. Madison



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..