God is Not a Puppeteer

God is Not a Puppeteer

A Poem by YouoweYoupay
"

There was a time..

"



God is Not a Puppeteer


There was a time 
When books were books 
Papers, ideals and ink

But in our days
A few ones could say
Every one book is one little boat
With paddles set
And a darkness cloak
For the purpose of your escape
Not quite majestic
Yet not so graceless
Your efforts and your hopes
To be one day
So far one day
From greeting living within
The fantasy of dying

From greeting olive trees 
That stand pleasantly still
And allow machines
To feed on the matter of their wishes
With no grain of sound
Or evil superstitions 

How many times have you been told
To not come near a human mind
Other than your own?
Or else you'll know not how
To eloquently write
Or paint a wonder
For your sight

But with no other mind but yours,
You'll soon engage 
In silly fights
And bickers with uneven walls

A philosopher is no physician,
And no waiting goes in vain
You fear your falls as if they were
Manifestations in your brain,

You think of thinking as a joke
Or a string of a vivid dream,
From which your boat will further steer
But you once said, with faith that gleams
All is what it really seems
And God is not a Puppeteer.

28.01.2015

© 2015 YouoweYoupay


Author's Note

YouoweYoupay
Spinoza. Philosophy. Anxiety. Solitude. And the wish to recover from reality through illusions. Thank you for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

My favorite line is "a philosopher is no physician". Nicely done

Posted 9 Years Ago


Not bad man. Keep up the good work. :D

Posted 9 Years Ago


Dear YouoweYoupay,

Interesting. Spinoza. Also very interesting. Such a pivotal philosopher with his radical (for the time) ideas of God and Determinism. I think he'd be a physicist if born today, with this interest in optics, microscopes, and telescopes. He'd be driven to understand Nature (God). A brilliant mind that couldn't he harnessed and held by the limited views of religious society of the time.

And I find your statement in the Author's Note very interesting as well: the wish to recover from reality through illusions'. The recognition of suffering from life's facts, but understanding that these attempts to escape are illusion only. And we find this in the poem, too. The recognition that each book is a "little boat" that gives escape.

I am also drawn to the lines "You think of thinking as a joke". Yes, this is a danger (thinking), that so many fear even today. Spinoza faced this fear in his daily life. One must stand strong against this fear.

And the closing line: And God is not a puppeteer", is very interesting. How to interpret this? Difficult in Spinozian terms as he did not believe in free will. His God was in some sense a puppeteer, but then again not a puppeteer since the puppeteer has his own free will, and Spinoza believed in a non-personal God, much more like Nature or the laws of physics. Oh, and I just noticed that "not" is crossed out in the title. Now that is Spinozian for sure.

And the second to last line: "All is what it really seems", also makes me think of Poe's poem "A Dream Within a Dream". Very a propos given the subject matter.

I can't begin to claim that I fully understand what you are trying to say with this piece, but I can acknowledge that this is a real thought provoker. Rarely have I seen as intricate a piece on WritersCafe or elsewhere. You raise questions and leave things open-ended. Very much like life.

I enjoyed this very much. Kudos! High marks. A rare 98 rating. I've never given higher.

Best regards,

Rick

Posted 9 Years Ago


Wow. This just blew my mind entirely. Beautifully written.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Every one book is one little boat
With paddles set

that line resonates with me...

Posted 9 Years Ago


I love "every one book is one little boat" - the picture it paints is the truth. Each book, each story, every one stands alone, must be paddled along, nursed, and set free to find a current of its own.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rain, this is wonderful. I love the sweet rhythm that pulled you through this one. I love the boat in the lake. Great symbolism and eloquent construction. Excellent. I'm putting this one in my favorites...:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Many thoughtful of a read putting ones mind at ease to slip away and only one breath to take that makes the world go around and wonder all the thoughtful thoughts that have ever been found.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Philosophy? The Mind? This is poetry on another level! I can't even... thinking hurts. I love reading and books and reading books and so I have a soft spot for the promotion of reading. Even those tacky posters with celebrities on them that only say, "READ". A lot is lost when words leave the page and get trapped in E-form, but those are the times we live in I suppose. Congrats on another killer poem, Rain. Five Stars!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Love it !
Thoughtful indeed.

Posted 9 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

985 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 29, 2015
Last Updated on January 29, 2015
Tags: dementia, life, death, sanity, god, thedevil, evil, good, truth, religion, loneliness, human, mind, rationality, poetry, story, inspiration

Author

YouoweYoupay
YouoweYoupay

Amman, ..., Jordan



About
"The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms." ~Muriel Rukeyser "There is no one more rebellious or attractive than a person lost in a book." “He allowed himself to be swayed by his con.. more..

Writing
Garden Garden

A Poem by YouoweYoupay



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Dust Dust

A Poem by YouoweYoupay