Sunshine

Sunshine

A Story by Peaches
"

This story is one I wrote for a teacher at my child's school, to help them understand why it's so important to commit when taking a new pet. This was written for Middleschoolers.

"

 

Low growls fill the night and bright lights shine. She trembles and curls tighter in her little hole. She remembers the warm bed she slept in, the children laughing and playing, the feeling of curling up safe. The memories of a full belly and a good rub have grown distant. She dreams, wondering...if she will ever again feel so safe and so loved. Strange noises frighten her and she shivers. The growls grow louder and shake the ground; she snuggled in tighter to try to stay dry. There is no safe anymore she thinks, no more laughing children, no more food brought to her. Now there were only pains where the food was, only noises that frighten her. She is so lonely, and so hungry. She licks gently at the bite where that man's noise maker bit her. She only wanted something to eat, but he yelled, angry at her. It didn't matter any more. She was so tired.
She remembered the last night she saw them. They told her she could go bye with them. She was so happy and jumped into the car. They drove a long way, she fell asleep. When she woke he told her to come on and she happily jumped out of the car to go with him. He didn't go though; he got back into the car and told her to stay. So she stayed. She sat there and watched him drive away. Then she got scared and ran after the car, but it disappeared. So far away, she couldn't smell them anymore. She ran back and waited, but they never came back.
She wondered who watched over the children now, who woke them up in the morning, who gave them kisses to make them feel loved. The pains had stopped and she was getting so sleepy. Instinct told her the end was near, she wouldn't be alone much longer. She wished she could see her children once more, hear their laughter, run and play with them. She knew now this wouldn't happen, they weren't coming back, but she missed them so. The growls were quieter now, and it wasn't as wet. The other animals would come out soon, but she no longer had the strength to run from them. She closed her eyes dreaming of the soft bed, and the patter of feet as the children came to kiss her goodnight. She dreamed of running with them playing in the sunshine and listening to their laughter. And then she dreamed no more. There was no more pain or loneliness. Only silence as she slipped away.

© 2008 Peaches


Author's Note

Peaches
This was written for children from the middle school by request to give them an ability to feel compassion for animals that are dumped and abused.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

awwwwwww nooooo! this is one of those things where you're literally mad at the writer (no offence:P) because it's like NO IT'S IMMORAL, but it's good to provoke that kinda of feeling- well done :) xx

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 3, 2008
Last Updated on March 15, 2008

Author

Peaches
Peaches

Hot Springs, AR



About
I've been writing forever it seems. I don't remember exactly when I began but by the time I was eight I had started a collection. I have even got some of those poems and stories still tucked away, to .. more..

Writing
Shattered Shattered

A Poem by Peaches