The Seat

The Seat

A Story by Will
"

Inspired by the subway of New York City

"
The train started down the line for the first time today. As usual, The Seat would see a vast array of people.

The first to take The Seat is a 22 year old white male named Devon. Devon had just snuck out of the apartment of some no-name, big tits chick he met in the bar last night. Judging by the fact that their clothes were everywhere, and her hand was on his crotch when he woke up, it must've been a good night. His blonde hair was messy, his chiseled jaw line scraggly with five o'clock shadow. His dark jeans and green button down shirt were wrinkled, but he would change when he got home. He had gotten used to this routine by now; he left his bar with a new bimbo every week. He came to his stop, and got off of the train.

The next passenger to take The Seat was a 34 year old Hispanic female by name of Carlota. Carlota was dragging two suitcases of clothes behind her unto the train, as her 7 year old son Pedro walked beside her, Spider-Man backpack in tow. She took The Seat, and plopped her son onto her lap. She had dried tears still on her cheeks, running over the light scars that marred her beautiful, light brown skin. Her soon to be exhusband Mateo beat her regularly, but she had had enough. She boarded the train with her possessions and her child, and set off for a better life. At last, she arrived at the stop nearest her mother's house, and Carlota left The Seat.

The Seat was vacant for two stops.

Then, The Seat was taken by a 67 year old African American man who went by Nails. Nails was a hulk of a man, despite his advanced age. He stood at 6'3", and filled out every inch of it. His bushy hair was capped by an adjustable, "Vietnam Veteran" hat he had received a few years back. He wore his usual camouflage rain jacket and worn out jeans, and in his hand was the beer bottle, covered by the brown paper bag, that had been there for years. Nails has seen some tragic things in Vietnam; everything from the slaughter of children and the rape of women, to the torture of men and the destruction of whole villages. By his own admission, he was no innocent, but he had watched it all with a steely gaze; hence his nickname, Nails. He handled it well there, but once home, Nails got hammered; all the time. He fell deep into alcoholism and depression, and was never the same man. With a swig from his bottle, he disembarked the train, much to the relief of his fellow passengers, who could barely stand his stench.

The Seat stayed empty for 1 stop.

After a while, Paul and Anne boarded the train, Paul 24 and Anne 22, both white. Paul took the seat, and Anne sat on his lap. The two had been dating for 4 years, and deeply loved each other. Every day they took this train, and many of their deepest discussion took place on this train. They were just coming home from lunch, and Anne had noticed something was up. Paul had been squeamish all day, and was constantly checking the inside pocket of his coat. As she thought about it, Paul suddenly picked her up off of his lap, and put her on the seat next to his. He got up from The Seat, and got on one knee. He pulled out a ring and proposed.

Anne said yes.

They got off the train at the next stop, and they pondered the rest of their lives together.

© 2013 Will


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Fellow New Yorker, loved this idea! I've often sat and stood on the subway and wondered about the lives of the people who've sat on the seats of these trains. I'd love to see this expanded upon. I guess, for one thing I wondered what time these folks were riding the train that they were able to get a seat, or that the seat happened to be vacant, because let's face it, people rush to sit and the train is crowded at different times of the day. What borough are we in? I mean, there can be so much added, or not. Always writer's preference. I'm just throwing some suggestions out there for you. I thought this was such a creative story, though. It's amazing where and how our creativity is sparked. Nice job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Will

11 Years Ago

Great ideas! I have to say, I just jotted this one down when I got home from a trip on the subway. I.. read more
Sandy Lynne

11 Years Ago

I just saw a brilliant quote around two minutes ago on Twitter by journalist, Tara Moss, that went: .. read more
Sandy Lynne

11 Years Ago

....Oh, and I do mean the last part of my comment in reference to the subway itself. You do a beauti.. read more



Reviews

Your stories always astonish me.
I honestly can't wait to read more.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Fellow New Yorker, loved this idea! I've often sat and stood on the subway and wondered about the lives of the people who've sat on the seats of these trains. I'd love to see this expanded upon. I guess, for one thing I wondered what time these folks were riding the train that they were able to get a seat, or that the seat happened to be vacant, because let's face it, people rush to sit and the train is crowded at different times of the day. What borough are we in? I mean, there can be so much added, or not. Always writer's preference. I'm just throwing some suggestions out there for you. I thought this was such a creative story, though. It's amazing where and how our creativity is sparked. Nice job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Will

11 Years Ago

Great ideas! I have to say, I just jotted this one down when I got home from a trip on the subway. I.. read more
Sandy Lynne

11 Years Ago

I just saw a brilliant quote around two minutes ago on Twitter by journalist, Tara Moss, that went: .. read more
Sandy Lynne

11 Years Ago

....Oh, and I do mean the last part of my comment in reference to the subway itself. You do a beauti.. read more
This is a very interesting story, the idea of it is also really creative. It was written very nicely, good job. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Will

11 Years Ago

Thanks :)
Katherine S.

11 Years Ago

You're welcome. :)
One common place and different people with different backgrounds.
Writing on the same theme was something going in my mind for a long time now.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Will

11 Years Ago

I'm glad you liked it :)
That was really cool! :D
It shows just how different people's backgrounds are, but also how closely related we are! Just the idea of this is awesome. The story it's self is beyond that. ^^

Posted 11 Years Ago


Will

11 Years Ago

Thanks :) this idea came to me as I was riding the subway yesterday. I just watched the one seat acr.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

289 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 14, 2013
Last Updated on February 22, 2013
Tags: Subway, New York City, diversity, domestic violence, society, Vietnam War, alcoholism, one night stand, marriage, love

Author

Will
Will

Brooklyn, NY



About
Well now that I have the patience, I'll actually write something here. I'm Will, and I'm 16 years old going on 17 , born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. I write what appeals to me. I just love writ.. more..

Writing
Indecision Indecision

A Poem by Will


Dead of Night Dead of Night

A Poem by Will


Does he know? Does he know?

A Poem by Will