Dead of Night

Dead of Night

A Poem by Will

The dead of the night leaves me terrified;
not of monsters beneath me or the hell below them,
or even of the darkness that surrounds.

The dead of night leaves me alone,
alone with my fears and uncertainties,
separated from my love and my friends.

The dead of night taunts me,
tendrils of black embrace me,
promising to never let go.

The dead of night imprisons me,
leaves me praying for the morning
trying to stay awake for the fear of not waking.

The dead of night inspires me
to brighten the day even further
in the hopes that the sun stays out longer.

© 2015 Will


Author's Note

Will
3:23 AM, knot of uncertainty and fear in my gut. Gonna try and wake up in less than 6 hours; wish me luck.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

That second verse really got me - we truly are alone in the dead of night, even if there are others in the house - sleeping comrades are in their own worlds, and our own demons have free reign to attack... A powerful poem, borne of sleepless nights. Hope you can get some peaceful slumber, Will.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I don't know what fears you have, but I used to feel the same way. The light of day and its noises were good distractions, but the white noise of the night left me in so much fear, anxiety. It took me many years before I could sleep soundly. I learned to accept my fears and let them go. And hence, I freed myself of my own inner turmoil. The feelings we experience are in part due to outer conditions, but also in part by our own amplifications of those feelings. I pray and wish for you to find your inner peace.

Posted 9 Years Ago


hey, Will. night is not that bad, especially when you can think of the relaxed moon hanging up there between the dim contour of clouds. but, great write! you captured the melancholy well, especially in the second stanza. true that. night time is a great source of inspiration, as long as it doesn't prevent you from going into a deep, relieving sleep.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Will

9 Years Ago

It isn't really the night itself that gets me, its the circumstances under which I encounter her. Th.. read more
jonah

9 Years Ago

Ah yes of course...hahaha. but well, as they said "don't allow circumstances to bring you down" I st.. read more
Lots of drama, produced in the night, the best time to write....

Posted 9 Years Ago


Will

9 Years Ago

It's when all of my writing gets done. Thanks Leslie :)
Why do all of the best writing ideas come out when we're dead tired? =) I really liked this poem, especially when you described the night as tendrils of black embracing you. I got this amazing image in my head of someone being held down to their bed by black smoky arms. It started off darkish but ended on a more happy note...well done! Keep writing, you're really good. =)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Will

9 Years Ago

I was looking to create that image, I'm so glad you got it. Thanks for reading :)'
This is a great piece of work, the last line made so much sense for this write. Thanks for sharing and b-blessed!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Will

9 Years Ago

I always find endings to be difficult to craft, so thank you very much :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

426 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 18, 2015
Last Updated on February 18, 2015
Tags: night, sleep, sleeplessness, fear, poem, darkness

Author

Will
Will

Brooklyn, NY



About
Well now that I have the patience, I'll actually write something here. I'm Will, and I'm 16 years old going on 17 , born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. I write what appeals to me. I just love writ.. more..

Writing
Indecision Indecision

A Poem by Will


Does he know? Does he know?

A Poem by Will