Merry...Halloween?!

Merry...Halloween?!

A Stage Play by Savior of Time
"

This is my play for my school's Playwriting Festival. *Includes stage directions *This is the newer version

"

Merry"Halloween?!

 

Characters List (In Order of Appearance):

Adam Gainer (A): nervous but easily tempered boy; older brother of Natalie

Natalie Gainer (N): bubby, and sometimes serious, young girl; younger sister of Adam

"Old Man" Jankins (J): an old man who is always grumpy; husband of Mrs. Jankins

Mrs. Jankins (MJ): sweet, old woman who loves to bake; wife of Mr. Jankins (“Old Man” Jankins)

Police officer/Ms/Mrs. Gainer (P): policewoman who is “secretly” Adam and Natalie’s mom

 

Props List

Christmas wreath

Cookie pan

Cookies

Fake snow

Fruits (of various kinds)

 

Summary: Adam and Natalie Gainer are trick-or-treating on a snowy day in the middle of December. Adam is dressed up as a guinea pig, and Natalie as an angel. They are arriving at "Old Man" Jankins house, and ask for candy. They start to get in a fight when Jankins calls the police. The police officer comes to investigate and it is reveled that she is Natalie and Adam’s mom. Mrs. Jankins gives them all cookies before they leave, which actually have caterpillar in them.

 

Set/Time: The play is set in present day, during Christmas. There is a house (door) up-center stage. On the door, there is a Christmas wreath. There is also fake snow on the ground.

 

SCRIPT:

(A & N walk up to J's house--C--from SR. All around you can hear singing and carolers. N skips towards the door with A walking behind. N rings the doorbell.)

A: Natalie, are you sure we should come to the Jankins' house? Mr. Jankins is (looks around, whispers loudly) weird.

N: It's fine! Calm down, Adam. Don't be such a scaredy cat!

A: I'm not scared! (raises hand to slap, stops due to door opening)

J: (opens door, irritated) What!

(J is an old, fat man. He has a bad temper, as well as a bad moustache. J is wearing a baggy grey shirt and khakis.)

N & A: (cheerfully, A a bit nervously) Trick-or-treat!

J: (puzzled) It's the middle of December. Why are you kids trick-or-treating?

N: HEY! (points finger in J's face) I don't tell you how to run your life. I've got to be home by ten o'clock, so lemme see some candy.

A: (nervously) Nat, this man doesn't have any candy; let's just go to the next house.

N: (angry) No! I want candy now!

J: (puts hands in front of chest) Hey, now, I ain't got any candy.

MJ: (voice offstage) Honey! Who's that at the door?

J: (irritated) No one, hon--

N: (interrupts) Natalie Gainer, at your service!

(MJ walks onstage with a smile. MJ is wearing a white apron and looks like she has been baking or cooking.)

MJ: (cheerfully) Oh! Trick-or-treaters! How lovely!

J: (annoyed) It's the middle of December!

A: (insistent, annoyed, to N) Nat, we really should be going..... (tugs N's arm)

N: (serious, stern) Adam, I am not leaving without any candy.

A: (annoyed, angry) Okay, we are leaving now or else I'm telling mom.

MJ: Oh, there's no need for that! Here's some candy! (drops various fruits into treat bags)

N & A: (mouths gaping in disbelief, anger in voice) This. Is. Not. Candy. (stresses "-dy")

J: (contains annoyance) Just go, before I call the cops.

MJ: (insistent) You don't have to, Harold.

A: (pulls N aside, says through gritted teeth) Nat, let's just leave Jankins' house before we get arrested. 

N: (mad) Listen here, Adam (pulls on collar of costume, N & A are face-to-face), I'm getting candy from this (points at J's house) house whether you tell mom or we get "arrested". (lets go of A's collar, pushing him away)

A: (groans) What-ever! (N & A walk back to the door, A looks at MJ and J) Can you please give her some candy? As in, legit candy?

J: (throws hands up) I've had enough of this! I'm calling the police! (goes inside)

A: (annoyed) Great, now I'm going to blamed for this, too.

MJ: Oh, don't worry, dear; everything will be fine. (ding of a timer is heard) My cookies! (rushes inside)

J: (walks outside) They're on their way, you little mutts, so don't you go anywhere.

A: (annoyed, to N) Well, this is just awesome Natalie. (sarcastic) We're going to jail!

N: Oh, put a sock in it. This is your fault, anyway.

A: (shocked) My fault?!

(N & A start bickering. Sirens are heard, P walks in SL)

(P walks onstage in uniform. She has her thumbs on her belt, acting cool. P has dark sunglasses on.)

P: So, uh, what seems to be the problem here, sir?

J: These kids are the problem, Officer. (sweetly, persuasive) You see, I was just sitting in my house, planning my fundraiser to help the kids in Africa who have less than I do when (harshly) these kids came banging on my door. (persuasively) When I came out, I greeted them with as much kindness as I have. I asked them, “Why, hello there. What can I do for you little children?” They looked at me as if I were crazy. They were looking at me with disgusted looks when the hamster--

A: (interrupts, annoyed) Guinea pig!

J: (ignores) Says to me, “Give us some candy, old man.” I tried to tell them that I didn’t have any candy but they wouldn’t listen to me. The angel kicked me in the shin, and that’s when I called you. I hope you will do something with the kids.

P: Yes, well, I would like to hear the kids’ side of the story.

J: But of course.

A: Okay, sir"or maim"none of what this man has said is true; you’ve got to believe me.

N: (agreeing) Yeah! Adam’s right! None of this happened. If anything, he (points to J) is the one who was nasty and gave us a disgusting look.

A: (nodding) Yeah, so what happened was that Natalie wanted to come trick-or-treating here, and apparently Old Man Jankins claimed he didn’t have any candy. I told Nat, but she still asked for candy; then he called you. That’s all that happened, I’m serious.

J: (complaining) Why does everyone call me that?!

P: (looks back and forth between kids and J) Alright, I know who to believe. (pauses) (J, N, & A are in shock) Kidos, let’s go. (J, N, & A are puzzled)

A: Kidos? (looks at N)

P: (takes off sunglasses)

N & A: (in realization, unison) Oh! Kidos!

J: I still don’t get it.

N: (happily) It’s our mom!

J: (repeats) Mom. Great.

(door opens, MJ enters with cookie pan)

MJ: (happily) Who wants cookies?

(All look at each other, P shrugs)

P: Sure.

(All takes cookies, eats)

P: So want to just settle this as a misunderstanding?

J: (dully) Yeah, whatever; make sure to keep your kids off my lawn.

P: Of course. Good night, sir. (to N & A) Come on, kids, it’s getting late.

N: (sadly) Aw! One more house, please!

A: No way! Let’s go Nat.

(P, N, & A walk off SL.)

MJ: You didn’t eat the cookie, right?

J: ‘course not. I know about you’re “secret ingredient”

MJ: (slyly) It’s not really secret; it’s just (insert random thing here).

J: (laughs)

(MJ & J walk off, center stage, through door.)

CURTAIN

© 2013 Savior of Time


Author's Note

Savior of Time
(I would like to know how it is for a first-timer. I've never written a play before, so I thought I would see how you guys think it is. Also, how long do you think this would be? I have a time limit and I want to make sure I don't go over. Thanks!)

That was for my original note. How'd you like the newly enhanced play? :D It surprisingly got on the Playwriting Festival!

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is really good but I feel that at times some of the lines seem a little fake or hard to believe.
But what i think would really help this is if it tells us why they are tricker treating at christmas. I think that a good reason would help the writer ( and the people watching the play). I think that you might be good at writing short films as well based on how much info you gave as to the set dressing.

Keep up the good work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Savior of Time

10 Years Ago

Um, this was meant for a Drama class so it wasn't supposed to be completely believeable.. It was jus.. read more
Is this really 5 to 7 minutes long? Anyway, the ending is kind of sudden, I would lengthen it a bit (that's exactly what my teacher told me about mine). I haven't finished either of my plays...:(P

Can you work on your script for HF?
Thanks!
-Dell

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Savior of Time

11 Years Ago

I don't KNOW how long it is, that's why I'm asking! I thought it was long, so I wanted TO end it. I .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

345 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 22, 2012
Last Updated on February 10, 2013
Tags: play, school
Previous Versions

Author

Savior of Time
Savior of Time

FL



About
* Was Willatree3 * Just a weird 14-year-old Theatre geek living life. I'm an actor (as you could probably tell), dancer, volunteer, and writer (hopefully, you got that one). My favorite genre to read.. more..

Writing