THE DREAM

THE DREAM

A Story by Windy
"

A short story from no where in particular. Maybe from the old days when I read Romance books all the time?? Who knows. Anyway, it has nothing to do with me personally. Let me know what you think, I'm not sure about some areas but as it's a first try I'

"

            THE DREAM

 

I wonder should I do it? Who would see? Will they really care? Do I really care?  I sit and ponder for a few moments, my decision is made.  I'm going to go for it.  I very carefully ease myself down, gently and quietly to the ground, onto the very edge of the blanket being careful not to wake him.  I carefully bend over, quiet as a mouse, making sure not to disturb him I lay my lips upon his brow. Elated that I had done it without the slightest sound, I started to retrace my steps when suddenly I felt his gaze upon me.  I leaned back and looked into his eyes, at first he just looked startled and then a slow sweet smile spread across his beautiful sleepy face.

 

As I was half stooped over, afraid to move a muscle, I felt his arms go ever so gently around my middle.  He pulled me down to lay beside him, gave me another smile then leaned down and whispered "I was just dreaming about you".  He held me closer and stroked my hair and asked me if I wanted to hear about it.  I grinned up at him and thought of all I'd gone through just to lay a kiss upon his brow, and now I found myself in his loving arms.  It was all so well worth it.  I shook my head up and down and whispered back to him, tell me every little detail.  We settled down onto the blanket, under the big oak tree in the park and he began to take me on a journey of the heart.

 

He started with...

We were sitting on this beach of all white sand, we'd just finished eating our picnic lunch and were packing up the basket.  I stood and pulled you up and took you with me for a walk, down this wonderous beach, with only the sounds of the ocean and a few gulls overhead.  We walked hand in hand, jumping in and out of the waves, splashing and playing and looking for that "perfect"' shell to take home as a memory.  We had walked quite a ways, and it was time to turn back to retrace our steps.  We walked quietly arms around one another, no laughing or joking or splashing this time, just recalling what a beautiful day we'd shared.  We had walked about three quarters of the way, when suddenly we saw it, our perfect shell brought up by a wave.  We both ran and slid in the sand grabbing at that shell before the wave could come back again to return it to the oceans' bed.  We did it, we got our shell, at just the very last minute, we were both soaked by the wave that had come back to get it.  We smiled at one another, you held that shell so carefully, as we wrapped our arms around each other once again and made our way back to our blanket.  You wrapped it up in white cloth napkins and placed it in our picnic basket with oh so much care, as it was such precious cargo.

 

Together we sat down on the pure white sand and watched the setting of the sun, listening to the ocean waves and quietly holding each other. As the sun set into the water you sighed just a little.  I turned you to me and kissed your lips so gently and so purely, you wrapped your arms around my neck and told me you never wanted to leave here.  I knew you could feel my chest as it shook with quiet laughter, for we both knew we couldn't stay there all alone with no food or shelter.   Deep inside I felt the same but was just to manly to admit it. I'd have loved to live out the rest of my days with you here by the water.  We setteled back to relax for just a little longer, the sand was warm and the water lapping at our toes.  I held you tight as we sat there into the night watching the stars come out and waiting for the sound we were dreading but knew would be comming.  It didn't take long till we heard it, the sound of the dreaded boat motor.

 

I stood up and held out my hand, as you placed yours so surely into mine, I felt a tiny shiver all up my spine.  I pulled you up and into my arms, we held on tight to each other, then we kissed and said goodby to this beautiful white paradise.  I picked up the basket, carefully, as it carried our precious cargo, and wrapped my other arm around you.  We walked those few yards to the dock where the boat was waiting , going as slowly as we could without actually stopping.  Upon reaching the dock, you suddenly turned to me and asked me if it was alright to take just one more peek, it would only be a minute.  I sat down the basket, wrapped my arms around you as you did to me, we stood there and stared out at the ocean, the beautiful white sandy beach and stars shining so bright and clear in the sky.  We looked at one another and held on for just one second more, than we picked up our basket, to walk the rest of the way to the end of the dock with smiles on our faces.  We'd had our perfect day, our perfect shell we'd found, but in the end it was really "us" that was the most precious cargo.

 

He stopped talking...

He had finished telling me about his dream and brushed a single tear from my cheek. We had been on that journey together.  From his pocket he pulled out a shell and laid it on my chest, it took me a moment to gather my wits until I realized it was a perfect shell with white sand in it.  He held me close, looked deep into my eyes and showed me a diamond he'd lifted from the shell.  He asked me then and there to be his wife and honeymoon on our island.  My heart beat in quick rhythem as I held the shell to my heart, my head shaking up and down in response.  He gently wiped the tears of joy from my cheeks and kissed me ever so softly, as he slipped the diamond ring onto my finger.  It took a moment before I was able to speak, as I was overcome with emotion.  I looked up at him saw the love in his eyes, and without pause I said yes of course I'll be your wife.

 

We laid there under the old oak in that park for quite a while, holding onto each other, expressing our love.  We laughed and giggled, we talked and hugged, we gazed deeply into one anothers eyes where no words were needed.  We stayed and watched the stars come out, shiny and oh so bright, we thought of "our island" and both deeply sighed.  He stood and held out his hand for mine, as I laid it gently into his, the light caught the bright diamond, we both smiled.  We picked up our blanket and picnic basket (with a perfect shell and white sand in it), wrapped our arms around each other and started to walk, both thinking of our future, and looking forward to our next visit to that beautiful white sandy beach island.

 

7-14-08 Windy

 

© 2008 Windy


Author's Note

Windy
My first attempt at a story. I've never been there (on an isalnd like this, wish I could find one and go to stay) so it's not about me, just something I thought of and as for the beach part, it's someplace I'd love to go. P.S. If anyone has a picture of a white sandy beach...I'd love to find one to put next to the title. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A very beautiful loving story. :) But where is the candy heart with "Marry me?" on it? ;) I think you are pretty good at the prose bit. Your poetry isn't too bad, but I think you seem to be better and more comfortable with prose. I think it may have to do with the fact that you don't have to restrict yourself in how and what you write in prose as compared to poetry. Good work here for a first attempt.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

WOW... no way, first attempt? You had my attention from the first question and kept it til the happy ending. ;~) Loved it!! Thanks for sharing!! Sallie Bear

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

THIS WAS A BEAUTIFUL STORY. WELL WRITTEN, AND FOOD FOR THE HUNGRY HEART. I LOVED IT.
SORRY- I DON'T HAVE A PICTURES OF A WHITE SANDY BEACH, IF I DID, I THINK I'D BE THERE...
NICE STORY KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

it's a lovely story and I certainly can't find anywhere to make changes. An excellent first attempt at a story - very very well done. I liked how things were comfortable and calm, not full of excitement and passion. The passion is there underlying the words but not overwhelming. nicely done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

If this was your first attemt at a story then I would say that you have a bright future in love story writting. I was a little lost in your story when you said "i was too manly", having forgotten that it was him telling of his dream. That is how enthralled in your story that i was. I am always impressed by writers like yourself that have the ability to tell a story with such detail and emotion wrapped together. Not only was this creative but romantic as well. Absolutely lovely.

Mr. Lopez

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a beautiful story. It's somehow pure and fragile, delicate yet delicious at the same time! There's a very calm, fluid movement to your words as if you can actually see everything in front of you and your readers are sharing the picture of 'your' private, and, that dream containing just the two of you...

This is a romance without sugary touches, consequently, the reader feels that all's well and true in the world of emotion.

Everyone has a dream, or should have, thank you, thank you for sharing - I don't want to wake up!.



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

And the photo you have up there, the one of Hawaii, is my absolute, all-time favorite beach photo!

What an utterly delightful picture you have painted with your words, so very romantic and heartwarming, softly sensual, and completely seductive in that you created such a picture of love in my mind. Very nicely done, dear one. Very beautifully and eloquently written! Great job!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very nice story and well done!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

"Spellbinding" is the word, though a bit overused. You took me to your dream beach and drew me into this vivid, romance. You might find a few other ways to say "wrapping" of arms (embrace, hug,etc.) but otherwise I enjoyed this a lot!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

All of our lives we've read stories in books and may have assumed that it wasn't so difficult a thing to do---writing stories, that is. In order to make a piece of writing sound "right," one must pay very close attention to detail and adhere to many rules--many "do's" and "don't's." It is, so I believe, much more difficult to create than poetry. I think you've done an excellent job with this, Windy, and it's a lovely dream.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

A very beautiful loving story. :) But where is the candy heart with "Marry me?" on it? ;) I think you are pretty good at the prose bit. Your poetry isn't too bad, but I think you seem to be better and more comfortable with prose. I think it may have to do with the fact that you don't have to restrict yourself in how and what you write in prose as compared to poetry. Good work here for a first attempt.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

269 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 24, 2008
Last Updated on July 26, 2008

Author

Windy
Windy

AR



About
I'm married to an amazing man that also happens to be a writer! My heart belongs with him, our children and our grandchildren, they are all amazing. This is an "outlet" for me. I am not a w.. more..

Writing
What What

A Poem by Windy


Dissarray Dissarray

A Poem by Windy



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


peace and love peace and love

A Poem by Windy


69 69

A Story by O!