Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by Elizabeth Reed

I held onto to the gold curtains on my window to stable myself as Andria tied my corset tight around my back. I was getting ready for Mother's bridal shower. I would have to be polite and lady like to all the guests. Some of them have been over on just a normal day for lunch with Mother, so they've seen the way I am usually dressed. So, I will probably have to listen to them lecture me. And because I'm only 17 I have to stand there and listen to them, nodding and agreeing. It's the respectful thing to do. While most of them haven't seen the real me, so I have to put on an act. Pretend that I always dress like that. It gets quite tired after a while. Andria finished tying my corset and stepped back. I turned to face her and she smiled. 
"You look wonderful, Your Majesty." she said. I forced a smile and held my hands in front of me.
"Thank you, Andria." I said. She walked to my dresser and took the red dress of the hanger. I always have to have help putting on these dresses. They're so difficult, who could do it on their own? I even need help with my hair. There's so many pins and and ties that need to go in. And all my hair is twisted around and curled up. It would be impossible to do it without the help of one of my maids. After she helped me put on the dress I turned to my wall mirror. I have a section of my wall that's all a mirror. I pulled and plaid with my dress, getting the full view. I looked like a porcelain doll. A long ball gown, long black gloves, a crown... It so wasn't me and I regretted even considering putting these clothes on. I looked myself over with a sigh. Andria walked up to me and put her hand on my shoulder. 
"Don't worry, miss." she said. "It's only for a few hours." I stared at my face in the mirror. I hated myself for looking so fake.
"Yes, but it feels like an eternity when you aren't yourself." I said. I turned away from the mirror and headed downstairs. The guests would be arriving soon and I have to be ready to greet them. Mother walked out of the kitchen in the most elegant looking white dress I'd ever seen. I will admit, she looked wonderful. Though, it still made me mad, this whole thing. Mother squealed as she saw me. She clapped her hands together, her mouth open and eyes sparkling. 
"Oh, you look so wonderful, dear!" she cried. I forced a smile and looked her over. 
"You too, Mother." I said. She took my hand and twirled me around, making my gown flair out. She looked so happy to see me dressed according to my position. She hugged me tightly and said, "I'm so happy to see you like this, Annabell." I smiled and rolled my eyes behind her back. She pulled out of the hug and looked me over again. "Now," she said. "Why don't you wait over by the door with Susan and greet the first few people who come in. Once they've come you should mingle around. You don't want to hang around the attendants and maids too long." 
I smiled and nodded. "Of course, Mother." I said. Susan walked over to me with a happy smile. She bowed gently and said, "You looked wonderful, Your Majesty." She took my hand and led me to the door. I wished this night would just end. Soon a bunch of stuck up girls were going to walk into my home and taint it with their snobbish ways. It was sickening. I wanted so badly to go up to my room and wait for it all to end. But, I didn't. I stood there and said hello to each and every one of those stupid girls as they walked in, before Mother pulled me away to "mingle". Mother pulled me all over the place to talk to so many people. And somehow she always ended up leaving me with the people who would lecture me about how I usually am.
"Oh, Annabell, this is so much better, dear." Mistress Amelia said. "You look so much more like a princess rather then a peasant. You really should dress like this more, dear. I mean, really. You actually look like you're fit to be in this castle." It took all I could to make myself smile at the evil witch. 
"Yes, Mistress Amelia." I said.
"So, you understand, correct?"
I nodded. "Yes, I do." 
She gave me one nod and said in a very snobbish way, "Good." She gave me the slightest finger wave before she turned and walked off. I cringed as she walked away, holding myself back. But, it wasn't long before another women walked up to me. Mother's best friend, Wanitta. She owns the largest stables in all of England. She's very, very wealthy.
"Oh, my!" she cried as she saw me. "You look wonderful, Princess!"
I smiled and looked down at my dress. "Thank you, Wanitta." I said.
She took my hands and looked me over. "You look like a real princess! I saw your sister. She looks wonderful as well, doesn't she?"
I nodded as I forced myself to keep smiling. "Yes, very." I said. 
"You really ought to dress like this more often. You look wonderful. Like a lady. You actually look like you're fit to be the heir of the throne. I mean, usually look like a lowly peasant, someone who's not even fit to look at the castle, let alone live in it!"
I winced slightly at what she was saying. I slowly pulled my hand out of hers, trying my hardest not to explode at her. I could feel the anger welling up inside me, ready to burst out. She kept going on and on about how peasants shouldn't be able to live within a mile of the castle and aren't worthy to even look us in the eyes. It was times like this I almost wanted to be Queen, so I could punish people like Wanitta. I kept smiling and nodded at what she was saying until I couldn't take it anymore. As soon as I opened my mouth to speak I thought I was going to yell and scream at her tell her to get out. But, instead I was calm and lady like and said, "Yes, Wanitta. I understand. But, I'm starting not to feel very well. So, I think I'm going to go upstairs."
She smiled and nodded, touching my shoulder.
"Of course, Princess. Feel better." she said. I smiled and nodded before I turned and walked up the stairs. I went into my room and closed the door. Hoping that the music and chatter was loud enough so they couldn't hear, I grabbed a pillow and screamed into it as loud as I could. I hate this! I hate it so much! I'm not going to take it anymore! I will not continue to be the princess of England!


© 2012 Elizabeth Reed


Author's Note

Elizabeth Reed
All feedback is appreciated

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

231 Views
Added on September 21, 2012
Last Updated on September 21, 2012
Tags: Princess, Power, Love, Servant, Maid, Honor, Royalty, Queen, Horse, Horses


Author

Elizabeth Reed
Elizabeth Reed

NH



About
I absolutely love to write, but I'm not very confident in myself. I would love honest feedback. Negative or not. If you'd like to see pictures of my characters, go to my photos. The letter(s) at th.. more..

Writing