Contractor: Prologue

Contractor: Prologue

A Chapter by Outdated Account
"

The place and time where everything begins.

"

I had just done something unforgivable, and I knew it. I could not take it back, and for the most selfish reasons ever, I did not want to. I was not a selfish person, but I was a man alone in his ways, or I was. I was until just now when I selfishly brought the love of my life into my life. Not even ten minutes into my explanation as to what I had done and she was already running for the door. Her expression not one of fear, or regret, but anger. I had tried to stop her, she did not know what she would be walking into if she left, but she was determined and I could see it in her eyes as I tried to turn her around. I would not be able to stop her.

"Please do not leave." She turned her back to me and put her hand on the doorknob with every intention of leaving visible in her posture. "Please, just listen to what I have to say." Remarkably, she hesitated and I sprang upon the opportunity to convince her to stay. Not that I could do much, it was a hope beyond hope that she would even let me finish, but I needed to try. "I love you, there has not been a time in my life that I have not loved you, regardless of having met you yet or not. I know there was a time when you loved me too. Things have changed, but now there is absolutely nothing standing between us. We can be together... forever."

"Do you honestly have no clue as to how wrong you are? There is more stopping me from loving you now than any time before. Telling the truth now doesn't mean that you never lied before, and no amount of truth now will ever fix that." She turned back to me and her glare stirred up true anguish. I had never felt it like this and it hurt like no other wound had. "You ruined my life, Vic. What you did to me can never be taken back and nothing you do now could ever make me love you again."

"Nothing?" I could not believe I was about to do this, but somehow I had known I was going to have to. "You know what this is," I held out the mirror. "You know its value. It is yours, I am giving it to you no strings attached, my soul along with it." This was my final, last ditch, effort and she knew what I meant in the gesture. I was giving myself up to her judgment, hoping beyond hope she would forgive me.

"I'll take it," She whispered, there was nothing but cruelty in her words as she took the mirror out of my hands. "But only to show you the real truth. You have no soul to give." She threw the mirror down to the ground and it shattered into a hundred shimmering pieces. With a smile on her lips she snapped her fingers and they were gone. "Goodbye, Victor. If we ever meet again, it'll be in hell."

"Please, do not waste everything I have given you and given up for you." She turned and walked out the door. Cold air flowed in the vacant aperture as I watched her walk away. There was nothing I could do to stop her now, I was powerless and she was gone. I would not see her after that for a long time, after I was a completely different person. After I had truly died, inside and out.



© 2016 Outdated Account


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well- your the first novel I've actually spent skimming on this site.
Ready to read with more attention now.
The beginning grabbed me with not wanting to live- until death was actually there... and seems like an easy, but pretty interesting and enough characters to keep you guessing to be a overall great book... will write more when I have time.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Outdated Account

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the review, it's always nice to know I still have readers even after all the chapters .. read more
I like it. The writing is crisp. I'll read more. Just a stylistic comment (and this is just my personal style): Think about losing some of the extraneous words.
For example: " Not even ten minutes into my explanation as to what I had done and she was already running for the door."
Sounds better as - Not even ten minutes into my explanation of what I'd done and she was running for the door.

Or: "Do you honestly have no clue as to how wrong you are?"
To me works a little better without the "as to" - ""Do you honestly have no clue how wrong you are?

Good start.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Outdated Account

8 Years Ago

I did commented on your second review first, but I'll say it again anyway. These "superfluous wordin.. read more
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Outdated Account

8 Years Ago

I'm just gonna put this down here and laugh that I was actually flustered enough to say "did comment.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

490 Views
2 Reviews
Added on October 25, 2015
Last Updated on October 30, 2016
Tags: novel, full length, serial, death, the grim reaper, grim reaper, business, contract, contracts, contract law, deal, deal with the devil, supernatural, paranormal, fiction, adventure, etc., macabre

Contractor (Complete)