Contractor: Chapter - 16

Contractor: Chapter - 16

A Chapter by Outdated Account

“Hey, Al, are you busy?” Amy had opened the door and leaned in. I didn’t even need to see her to know exactly how she would be posed, I could sense the scene like I was writing it down. As I turned away from the typewriter, however, I hesitated. Amy had undergone character development, she was a different person now. At least she was to me. She was a murderer now. One that continued to take punishment for her crime, punishment that would never be enough for either criminal or victim.

“Not with anything that can’t wait.” I put on a cheery face. Deception was becoming second nature to me and guilt over my deception was becoming fourth or fifth nature. I was growing ever more comfortable with the idea that it was justified as it was necessary for my survival. “What do you need?”

“I wanted to thank you.” There was no faking my surprise or confusion.

“For what?”

“Whatever you did to her, she’s almost forgotten me. I don’t know if that’s exactly good news for you, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen her genuinely happy. And not only do I think she’s legitimately happy right now… she’s let me off easy from a punishment just now...”

“I was wondering where you’d gotten off to after... that incident. The natural assumption was that you were back where you started because of the ordeal, but I was hesitant to see for myself for obvious reasons.” I laughed a little to myself remembering the odd panic and humor that had accompanied being pinned to the floor with a dagger. “She let you off easy after that?”

“I wasn’t supposed to wake up for another three weeks, and just an hour ago Hope waltzes in, ties a rope to the end of the knife, pulls it out, and leaves with a smile on her face. I don’t know what it is that you did, but I know you’re the cause because nothing else has changed around here in a long time.”

“Well, I may have gotten a bit too involved in my efforts to gather information, and I may have led her on just a bit.” Amy looked surprised. “What? You don’t think I could charm a woman?” I honestly didn’t think I’d had it in me either, if that was in fact what had actually happened. “Even when the whole thing backfired and she figured me out, she said the deception was a turn on. I swear I’ll never understand girls.”

“Did you learn anything useful from it at least?”

“Yes, that I’m far more charismatic in death than I was in life.”

“Anything... else?”

“If you’re referring to information about you, than yes. I got a light gist of the situation, as well as a few other tidbits about everyone else. Nothing amazingly valuable, but I at least know the people around me on the surface now.”

“And you’re still here. You may be more charismatic now, but you’re just as stupid. If not more so.” She shook her head in mock disapproval. “In any case, we’re all stupid to be in our current situations for one reason or another. Smart people don’t live forever, they know there’s someplace better waiting for them. Stupid people are too afraid to test that theory.”

“Is that the only reason you came to talk to me?” She had taken a position in the doorway that was far too comfortable for a short conversation.

“No actually. Hope wants to extend an invitation to you to join her at some contractor gathering that’s going on soon.”

“Gathering?”

“Yeah, Death goes out to them sometimes and Hope always begs to go with him but he never lets her. I don’t know what you’ve done to him, but it’s also probably your fault that he’s letting her go this time.”

“I doubt it, I know he doesn’t trust me. Not completely anyway. He’s worried about Hope being around me too, so I doubt it was his idea to let her go and invite me.”

“He probably doesn’t know that she invited you at all… actually, you might want to talk to him before you do anything else.” Amy turned to leave.

“Wait, where are you going?” I didn’t want to face Death alone, and since she was already there I was going to ask her.

“I’m going to dig up a dress, the party is a formal event so I can’t wear my jeans and boots there, now can I...”

“You’re going too?”

“Well duh, if Hope’s going I need to be there in case someone... I don’t know... tries to shoot her or something. With her attitude something’s bound to happen.” Amy walked back into her room and I could hear her muttering to herself as she closed the door. “Maybe I can still hide my boots...”

I got up and walked over to the door. I didn’t want to do it again so soon, but facing Death seemed safer than facing Hope. I opened the door to his office but it was empty again. I closed the door and against my better judgement I knocked on Death’s bedroom door. At least I had the idea in my head and my hand on the doorknob, whether I was going where I wanted to or not still remained to be seen.

“Come in, Albert.” Death sighed as I eased the door open. “As I am sure you have been told, there is no use knocking on an unlocked door.” He was standing in front of a large mirror tying a black silk tie.

“Even if the door is to someone’s private space?”

“There is no private space in this house, Albert.”

“That’s what Hope said, but I still think it’s safer to exercise some caution before walking blindly in.”

“Speaking of both my daughter and walking blindly into things, I do hope you are aware that I will kill you if you do anything to upset her.”

“Like I said last time, I would never dream of it, not that I could dream of it at all. I’m only worried that she’ll hurt herself and put the blame on me.” His back was turned, but I could see a hint of anger in his reflection. “Not to say that she’s shallow or anything, but she’s expressed interest that I cannot return. She’s even invited me to this thing you’re going to.”

“Under the pretense of a date?” Death slowly turned to look at me directly.

“I believe so, at least that was the impression I got from talking to Amy, who was relaying the invitation.” He relaxed at that.

“I would have invited you myself, my intention is to have all of the house attend to show a strong front. If she wants to call it a date, I won’t stop her. Just think of it as a show of strength for the company if that helps you.” It sounded strange to have him giving me advice on how to ignore his daughter. I decided it was best not to comment on it.

“What is this thing I’m going to anyways?”

“A party, the Old Man throws one every now and then to keep everyone in touch. They’re usually very tame and uncomfortable but no one wants to upset him by not going.”

“Who’s the Old Man?”

“The oldest contractor anyone knows about. He has gone without putting pen to paper since I became a contractor, and probably has not since long before. I doubt he will ever need to again by the way everyone treats him.”

“So he’s powerful?”

“The amount of emphasis missing in your statement cannot be measured. He is more social than the rest of us, so we assume he has no fear or need of power.”

“Then you’re not sure?” Death’s description of the Old Man was confusing me.

“In my profession, I find it is best not to take blind leaps. That is why I go to his parties. That, and he has good taste.” I thought I saw a sliver of a smile on his face, oddly enough it didn’t terrify me. It was a genuine smile.

“When’s the party then?” Death’s description didn’t exactly have me excited, but the Old Man sounded interesting enough to remove the objections I had prepared.

“In a few minutes.” Death looked me over. “I hope you are not planning to attend dressed as you are now?”

“You know I don’t have anything else.”

“You could have bought something since the last time we talked, I am not omniscient and I cannot read minds so there is no way for me to know these things.” He sighed. “You can borrow one of my suits if you need to, it will be a bit big on you but I do not think anyone will even look at you for any reason other than to criticize you anyway.”

“Pleasant...” I was starting to not want to go again.

Death pulled a black suit out of his closet and handed it to me before directing me behind a room divider. The suit fit surprisingly well and there were only a few noticeable places where you could tell it wasn't tailored precisely for me. I wasn’t used to dressing up, my old wardrobe had consisted almost completely of jeans and t-shirts. I hadn’t even worn a suit since my grandmother’s funeral when I was a little kid. Death seemed satisfied when I walked out though, so I felt a little better about it.

“Looking sharp, Al.” Hope had slipped in while I was changing and was standing next to her father. “The tie’s a bit crooked though.” She walked over and adjusted the tie so it was flush with the collar. I half expected her to choke me with it, but she her hands were gentle with the black fabric. I could see Death’s expression change to one of discomfort as he watched in silence.

“I hope I didn’t make us late.” I mumbled when Hope finally backed up.

“You did,” Death answered smoothly. “But fashionably so. We would look anxious and vulnerable if we were to arrive on time. We need to display strength tonight, remember that.” I nodded, following Hope’s lead. Amy, who had remained quiet in a corner merely shrugged as she walked over. Hope rested her hand on Amy’s shoulder and Death mirrored her with my shoulder. I took a deep breath and tried not to think about the amount of dangerous and powerful people I was about to be exposed to.



© 2016 Outdated Account


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

257 Views
Added on February 28, 2016
Last Updated on October 30, 2016
Tags: macabre, novel, full length, serial, death, the grim reaper, grim reaper, business, contract, contracts, contract law, deal, deal with the devil, supernatural, paranormal, fiction, adventure, etc.

Contractor (Complete)