Superficial

Superficial

A Poem by

You loathe my character,

yet you love my looks.

So you shut me up when I'm with you.

I, so strangely hooked in your eyes,

adore your looks

and loathe your character.

 

We are fit for one another

as we do not mean a thing.

This is the shallowness

of our relationship.

 

Superficial and

dead.

© 2010


Author's Note

The "relationships" in this poem are of any kind in society. I wanted to portray the superficial thoughts of many people in the world.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I get it. It's straightforward, but decribes a whole lot. "Relationships" nowadays are like this sadly. People are judged on the basis of how they look, not who they are. Oh, how society makes us such materialistic superficial idiots... Relationships are meant to be made on the basis of not looks but love and respect.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a pitfall that I use to fall into, blinded by beauty and oblivious to character. It didn't take long to realize that true happiness does not rest in beauty alone. I think you captured this in your writing very well.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I have to say that, to me, "looks" mean absolutely NOTHING. Beauty is like love and God...it dwells in the soul...it resides in the heart and makes itself known through the replication of itself. It creates and re-creates... and it makes all things new. My mother used to tell my sisters when they would ask her, "momma, am I pretty?"...and mother would always say, "pretty is as pretty does" and she was so right. A man or woman might be appealing to the eye at first glance and be ugly as a troll throughout their being. Some of the sweetest, most wonderful people I know are not much to look at on the outside...but their beautiful spirits shine like stars on a moonless summer night and every life they touch is richer because of their prescence. Sorry for chasing rabbits in my review, I really like this!

Posted 13 Years Ago


So true!
I do find a kind of irony in the fact that the I-person thinks deeper about the shallowness...

Posted 13 Years Ago


yes~ you've succeeded in portraying the empty well of the shallow heart~ a strong poem~ very well written~ and thoughtful~

Posted 13 Years Ago


You succeed with your portrayal, Saimas. Well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 5, 2010
Last Updated on September 5, 2010

Author


Writing
lest we forget lest we forget

A Poem by


Get It Together Get It Together

A Poem by



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Hard Frost Hard Frost

A Poem by ice


Kissing Frogs Kissing Frogs

A Poem by .