Christmas Windows and the Circle of Love

Christmas Windows and the Circle of Love

A Story by
"

Walk through town and peek through frosty windows with Benjamin to discover Christmas love.

"
 

Christmas Windows and the Circle of Love


Inside all was right. Twinkling strands of tiny lights merrily danced around the ruby-red room. Garlands of pine, holly and ivy elegantly adorned the huge sash-windows and fireplace mantle. In the corner stood a perfect Christmas tree ornamented with all manner of tiny bows and shiny baubles. The cheerful sounds of holiday music and laughter radiated warmly around the room. Why, even the crackling and popping sounds of the fireplace added quite a charm to the festive room.

All this, the little lad took in quietly and secretly from his perch of fresh-packed white snow right outside the window pane. He peeked carefully into the home of the wealthy town mayor and wondered how it would be to spend Christmas in this home. He sighed in awe as he stepped away and quietly walked on down the street.


The cold night air whipped fiercely at his small worn-out jacket as he nestled a little deeper into his bright-red crocheted sock-hat and scarf. His small feet seemed to be frozen and he glanced down at his raggedy, black, snow-covered boots to be sure the laces were still tied. He walked on quite a ways until he came to another home. He carefully made his way to another Christmas window...


Framed by ivory, lace curtains stood a huge, round Christmas tree as tall and sturdy as the toy soldiers he had seen in the town Christmas parade earlier that week. Red, gold and green plaid ribbons bedecked this live fir tree and he could see a small, toy-train chugging on the track underneath. As he took in the scene through this window, he didn't have to worry he might be seen, so he peered in one corner and then the other. The room seemed to glow as if maybe a real-live angel topped this jolly tree! He spied a pile of gifts wrapped in foil paper and shiny bows as he moved from one side of the window to the other. As a puff of warm air escaped his gaped-open mouth, it caused the window to fog up a bit so he reluctantly moved along. Again, inside everything seemed right.

 

Little Benjamin, now at a safe distance from the two-story brick home, kicked up a bit of snow and watched as it fell back to the ground like fine, white powder. Gingerly, he moved about trying to warm himself a bit. He was all alone and had nowhere to go, so he decided to walk on to the little town square.  What grand sights he saw in the windows of quaint downtown shops. There were trees of all sizes decorated with snowflakes, candy canes and such. Replicas of Frosty and Santa stood at attention here and there. There were red wagons and BB guns for boys, dolls and skates for little girls, dresses and jewelry for ladies and long coats and top-hats for the gentlemen. Twinkly lights made everything glisten and it seemed like a wonderful dreamland for little Ben. He saw others peering through store windows too and wondered what they were thinking and feeling.

 

He heard cheerful laughter and the muffled melody of Christmas songs from carolers across the way. He smelled wonderful aromas of gingerbread, cookies and pies coming from the tiny bakery across the street. He longed to pass by, if only for a piece of one-cent candy but he dared not. Bells were ringing, carolers were singing, and the lighted, store-front windows seemed to say all was right.

Benjamin turned the corner and walked away from town a ways until he came to another home. It wasn't quite as grand as those he had seen on the other side of the town, but it seemed cozy just the same.

 

As he walked into the yard, he saw a huge oak tree decorated with a bright-yellow ribbon. He thought that was supposed to represent something about someone coming home or something. His little mind couldn't quite figure it all out, but he knew it must be important. From behind the sheer curtains he could see candles dancing in each window. A green wreath trimmed with red bows adorned the front door and the lighted fir tree in the front yard added to the comforting ambiance of this home. The porch steps were wide and welcoming so the little guy tip-toed right up and over to one of the little windows. Although this home was less extravagant than the mayor's or any other home he had see tonight for that matter, there was something there that he couldn't quite put his finger on. Something in the voices and faces of the family inside...made it seem like all was right.


He shivered like a leaf as he walked back down the steps and trudged on down the road. He was almost home now. He walked passed his school-mate's house and saw her gazing out her window. Lights from the Christmas tree beside her colored her face in rich hues. No, they didn't have as much here on the south side of town, but they were happy. He stood for a moment watching Belle gaze into the dark, winter sky. He wondered if she might be waiting for more snow to fall, maybe watching for Santa's reindeer to fly across the sky or saying a prayer to the Lord above. Whatever it was, she didn't even see him for she was in a daze. Belle's dad had been laid off his job at the factory a few months ago and her family was having a hard time this holiday season. He didn't know about himself, but he knew Belle probably wouldn't be getting much for Christmas. The local church had put together a care package of food for them just this week. As bad as it must be, Ben never heard Belle complain or say one thing negative. He wanted to give her something for Christmas but he knew his family didn't have much money either and his piggy bank was empty. He didn't even have one cent to his name! Watching her gaze out her window, her expression seemed to say....it was all right.

 

As Ben neared his little home, he knew it was not nearly as decorated as other houses he had seen that night. Father had managed to hang a few strands of Christmas lights on the roof edge this year and they had a small, decorated tree inside. Ben and his little brother had spent hours making red and green paper chains and stringing popcorn to decorate their small artificial tree. There were no neatly wrapped presents or toy trains underneath it either. It was simple and that was fine with him.

 

As he opened the front door, the wonderful aroma of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies invited him into the tiny kitchen. He took his wet boots and jacket off beside the door and went in to indulge himself with a glass of cold milk and warm cookies. Mom already had a plate ready for him and smiled as he bowed his head and said a quick prayer of blessing over them. He ate in silence, thinking of his adventure around town that night. Each house had been so different, each family probably even had different traditions and celebrated differently. Some families were wealthy, some had been average income, his house was on a lower level as was Belle's family.

 

Finishing his cookies and milk, Ben kissed his parents good-night and headed to his little room. He quickly bathed and dressed for bed. Once he was tucked under his warm blankets he cuddled up with is favorite buddy, Tye, (a stuffed, brown teddy-bear whose fur was worn thin from spending years of being dragged around by a rough little boy) and closed his sleepy eyes. Christmas fairies, sugar plums, elves and reindeer danced their way through his thoughts as he drifted off to dreamland.

 

He traveled far away and back in time. There was another window. As Ben neared the strange window, he cautiously peeked inside. Through this window he saw what looked like an old, rugged farm shed complete with a horse, cow and a few sheep. Then he noticed the strange people he didn't know and decided it must be Joseph and Mary with baby Jesus. From time spent going to Sunday School, he knew this must be the first Christmas and indeed how different it looked. There were no twinkling lights except for the stars, no stockings hug from a mantle, and neither were there any reindeer. It was quiet and peaceful with only the sounds of farm animals bedding down for the night. He could faintly hear the new father and mother talking over the baby but couldn't make any words out.

 

In another window he peered, he saw himself sitting in the little Sunday School class he shared with Belle at the town church. As he looked on, he noticed once again that it was Christmas time and the teacher was using felt-backed paper figures to tell the story - how Baby Jesus was born that night so long ago. That first Christmas had been special and had established a theme of “love and giving” for all the Christmas' to come. He noticed Belle hand him a candy cane with a note tied to it. It said, “Dear Ben, Merry Christmas! Thank you for being my friend. Love always, Belle”. Yes, he still had that note tucked away in his room at home. Christmas was all about the circle of love.


There were no more windows to gaze into in his dreams, but the thoughts of love and giving still bounced around in his little head. What greater gift was there to give than love? Why, people shopped for days trying to find just the perfect gift to express their love to that special someone in their life. In his mind, he thought it quite foolish because how can one put a value or price on love? That candy cane and note Belle had given to him expressed just as much love as the sweater he was given by his grandma or the toy gun his dad had given him. It was probably just the same with the new diamond ring the mayor gave his wife or the shiny, new bicycles he gave to his children. It didn't seem to matter how much money someone had or didn't have, no matter how big or small a gift was, it was all about the giving and love. He unconsciously smiled and continued to sleep. God always has the best plan!

 

The decorations we use, the warm colors we decorate with, the lights, candles and music only enhance the warmth associated with Christmas. What do people like so much about Christmas holidays? It's often said, “It's the love and happiness that's in the air!” When people feel loved - and share that love - they are happy and whole. Christmas is a time when we think more about the simple things, the things which mean the most in life. It's a time for those you love to make time to come together. We slow down long enough to enjoy each other, spend a little extra time with or money on each other, show we care a little bit better...we go out of our way to express our love. Why else does one spend so much time and effort in the wrapping of a gift - choosing the perfect paper, ribbons, flowers, name tag, etc. A gift is there. Why not throw it in a brown paper bag? No! It's that extra touch of love that seems to set everything apart from the ordinary.

 

Ben awoke early the next morning. It was Christmas Eve! He jumped out of bed and ran quickly to the door and shoved on his boots and jacket. Then he headed outside. He went to the living room window, pulled his pajama sleeve over his hand and wiped the icy wetness away. The lad peered into the room of his home and smiled...all was right. Running back indoors, he went to his Christmas tree and pulled down several candy canes. He found some left-over ribbon and wrapped the canes together in a bundle. Then he went into the kitchen and unwrapped the cookie plate. He took a few cookies and put them in a small clear bag then headed back to his room to get dressed. He felt so good inside, he could hardly wait to take his gift to Belle. Yes, there truly was a joy in giving. He thought about his dream last night and wondered how God must have felt on that first Christmas. Something the teacher had also said last week stuck out in his mind - it feels good to be loved by someone, but its even more special when they receive your love. He did feel good, that was for certain and he knew Belle would be grateful for the heart-felt gift even though it wasn't much.

 

After dressing and running a comb through his sandy-blonde hair, he sat at his little desk and jotted a quick note to Belle then sealed it with a Christmas wish for her and her family. He glanced out his window and saw it was beginning to snow again so he hurriedly ran to the front door and put on his boots, jacket, mittens and scarf. In only a few moments, he was out the door, gifts in hand, on his way to Belle's home down the street a way.

 

When he arrived, to his surprise he found some good-hearted person had taken a moment to decorate their door with a wreath and garland. It looked slightly magical in the falling snow. He walked up to the door but just couldn't help himself...he had to peek in the window before he knocked. He leaned over and pressed his little forehead against the cold window. He saw Belle and her mother wrapped in blankets sitting in front of a crackling fire. He looked around the room and still saw no presents anywhere. His heart was saddened but happy at the same time. Just maybe his gift would make a difference and be special! He leaned back and was about to knock on the blue door but before he did, once more he bowed his head and thanked the Lord for giving him this special friend and asked the Lord to bless her and her family in a special way this coming new year. He knocked on the door and waited patiently for someone to answer. He saw Belle peer out the same window from which he had just been looking in only a few seconds ago.

 

She disappeared. Then he heard her running to open the door. She flung herself into his arms and with a big, bear-hug giggled joyfully to see him. He fumbled around in his jacket until he fished out his meager gifts for her. “Merry Christmas, early!”, he said cheerfully, as she slowly put her head down. “I brought you something. It's not much.” She slowly lifted her head and Ben saw a tear trickle down her soft face. Ben wiped the tear away carefully and handed her the candy cane bundle and cookies. “I wanted to do something special for you,” Ben said. “I know you don't have much for Christmas and neither do I, but I have something anyhow.” Belle smiled and put out her hand to accept the little bundle of love. “Thank you,” she said kindly.

 

The snow began to come down harder and so Ben said good-bye and headed back home. He felt so good, so completely satisfied with himself. What was that scripture they had talked about in service a few weeks ago? Something about it being better to give than receive. He didn't quite understand it then, but his eyes had been opened and his heart was full of joy. He lay down on the snow-covered ground and made an angel, then jumped up and threw a few snowballs at a big hickory tree on the edge of the street. He was at complete peace with everything. All was right.

 

From her window, Belle watched cheerfully as her friend, Ben, played briefly in the snow then walked back down the street on toward home. She was blessed to have such a friend she thought to herself. A contented smile spread across her gentle face and she held tightly to her candy cane bundle. She took a bite of the delicious home-made cookies and said a quiet prayer to the Lord in thanks for this gift loaded with love - and for her thoughtful friend. This Christmas would be quite different for her family as far as gifts and money were concerned, but she felt as rich as anyone possibly could. Christmas was going to be great....inside, all was right.

 

As Christmas Eve drew to a close, the fluffy snow continued to fall to the ground quietly, painting a beautiful white blanket to display come Christmas morning. Both children were nestled safe inside their humble homes with their families. Each small child thought about what had taken place earlier that day and vowed never to forget the feelings they had experienced. Belle had been ever so grateful for the small token of love she had received and Ben was equally grateful also, for being able to give. It seemed like a complete circle of love. They both had learned valuable lessons about the true meaning of Christmas. The way God must have wanted it to be. While others might be doing Christmas their own way, both Ben and Belle knew there was no gift more simple, valuable or greater than that of love " the “circle of love” (to love and be loved) and no matter how things looked from the outside and according to the standards of the world...from the windows of their heart.....all was right.

© 2010


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

283 Views
Added on December 4, 2010
Last Updated on December 4, 2010
Tags: christmas, holiday, love

Author