CHAPTER ONE - The Revelation of Ruby O'Conner

CHAPTER ONE - The Revelation of Ruby O'Conner

A Chapter by
"

Chapter one of my book, When the Darkness Rains Upon Them. It outlines the events that lead up to the re-birth of Ruby O'Conner and the catalyst for the books events.

"

CHAPTER ONE

THE REVELATION OF RUBY O’CONNER

 

The postman stared straight into her sad green eyes as Ruby O’Conner signed off for the plain cardboard package in his hands. Even in the rainy Irish winter weather, he could see where she had wiped tears from her face. She was no ordinary girl, and the postman knew that. He knew strange people when he saw them; hell, he saw one in the mirror every day. He knew who Ruby was, even though he had never spoken to her. The postman knew everything about this sad, pretty little girl just by looking into her sad, pretty little eyes. He knew not of what would happen to her when she opened her package and he knew not of what would happen to the world, but he felt sorry for her all the same. He gave her a sad, almost apologetic look and handed her the package, thanking her for her time. All the postman really hoped was that she would be a little happier with whatever was in her parcel; he knew those sad green eyes deserved at least that much.

 

As she closed the door behind her, Ruby wondered who would be sending her packages. It wasn't her fathers; her name was written next to the address. She had long since broken contact with any of her friends, be they from school or otherwise. Ruby had once been a devout Christian, but the sudden death of her mother five years earlier had changed her. She lost faith, and with that she lost her will to live. She managed to get through school by growing out her black hair and ignoring all approaches from other people; they talked about her for a while but eventually got the message. With her anti-social, almost nihilistic behavior her grades began to drop and she stopped eating regularly, losing weight rapidly and becoming extremely weak. Ruby couldn't really fathom who would send her a package and why, but she didn't feel the curiosity. She hadn't felt anything for years. As she shuffled into the kitchen to fetch a knife, Ruby felt a tear fall down her cheek. She didn't know why they fell the way they did when they did, but they just did. Wiping the single tear from her face, she pulled a knife out of the drawer, using it to cut open the tape. As she pulled at the lid of the box, whatever was inside made a strange sound, like a sort of humming. She peered inside, and felt the first feeling she had felt in the years since her mother had died; shock.   

 

Inside the small, unassuming cardboard box was the one item in the world that could possibly make Ruby feel again. Inside the box was something special, it was something unique. Something unlike anything Ruby had ever seen. She had seen documentaries on the television about prosthetic limbs and such, but had never taken much interest. The limb in the box however was completely hollow, almost like a glove. It was the exact length and width as her own right arm; seemingly tailored specifically for her. Ruby knew for a fact this was no ordinary glove and she knew full well it could be extremely dangerous, but she also knew that she had nothing to lose. She slowly reached her right arm inside the box, being careful not to touch the strange indents and marks covering the gloves exterior. Ruby was extremely careful in the action of placing the glove over her right arm; she wasn't sure why but she knew it was extremely volatile.

 

Just as the shoulder piece went over her forearm and reached its correct resting place, all of the marks along the glove evened out along its surface and an incredible white hot pain laced along the full length of Ruby’s arm. It reached her shoulder and throbbed out towards her chest; but she wasn't focused on that. The agony she felt was blinding. Her arm was burning up and being replaced with white hot metal. Ruby’s entire body collapsed under the literal weight of the excruciating pain. In her mind, all she could think of was her current experience; what was happening there and then was the most important thing in the world. As she quickly lost consciousness, a voice in the back of her head asked her if she had felt emotion like this in her entire life, and at that point Ruby understood what was happening.    

 

The loud, shrill sound of the fire alarm in her father’s kitchen and the noise of fire trucks outside her window made Ruby wake with a start. She had been unconscious for maybe fifteen minutes but it had felt like a lifetime. Ruby smelt smoke, and looking around she saw the heat from her new arm had started a raging fire. As she sprinted through the house, she could hear the firemen breaking down her front door and shouting commands at each other. One of them grabbed her and threw her to the nearest uniformed man. Breaking free of the man’s grasp, she ran for the door, feeling tears rolling steadily out of both her eyes.  

 

Staggering outside into the icy winter rain, for the first time in a long time Ruby O’Conner actually felt something. She wasn't sure if it was love, hate or anything in-between but it was something. The thing she felt shook her until she could shake no longer. The thing, it sent a chill down her spine that didn't stop until it covered her entire body. The shaking and the chill, they both emanated from Ruby, literally shaking and chilling the air around her. As Ruby O’Conner turned into nothing more than a blur, she felt just how it felt to be alive, and she really felt it. Only hours before, she was contemplating death with nothing to live for. Now she realized what she had. She had life. Something that seemed as trivial as the cold winter rain pierced her heart and replaced the black loneliness with an insurmountable will to live. The rain not only woke her to the world; it inspired her. Her own personal revelation had finally hit her, and it had hit her harder than anything possibly could.

 

***

 

Sitting on a gurney in the back of an ambulance covered in a large woolen blanket, Ruby O’Conner was continually falling in and out of consciousness. The paramedic tending to her wounds (or, strangely enough, her lack of wounds) quickly strode to the back of the van and slammed the doors closed. Banging his closed fist against the back of the cab, he shouted “Let’s go!” and made towards Ruby with a roll of bandages in his left hand and a strange looking contraption in his right. As the vehicle began to move, the man swiftly grabbed Ruby’s right arm and with a few deft movements of his fingertips, the arm sprung open with a cloud of steam.

 

Inside the arm was the most unsettling mechanism Ruby had ever laid eyes on. Where the limb was combined with her shoulder, the standard bone and muscle was replaced with a strange, vertically angled threading that connected the arm to the rest of her body. In the centre of that threading was a sort of glass tube beginning at a pressurized plug, working as a singular large artery that gradually got smaller as it progressed down to her fingertips. Running either side of this glass plug lay hundreds of super-thin fibre-optic cables that branched out from a small processing unit in the shoulder, linking up with Ruby’s body’s nervous system. The CPU was powered both by the electrical currents running through her nerves and the flow of the blood through the glass tube. So as to not be wasted, the plasma from Ruby’s blood was being drawn into a small vacuum-sealed container; it was currently being used to quicken the healing of the burn wounds on her right shoulder.  Sitting inside the palm of her new arm sat a small black device Ruby could not recognize. Replacing all the muscles were small pumps, powered by the water drawn from the blood pumped into the arm. Grabbing the outer shell of the limb to steady him, the paramedic plugged the device he held into the last remaining outlet located on the small motherboard inside her shoulder, the purpose of which was to lead the veins and nerves though to their appropriate locations.  The little screen on the device booted up and started spewing out numbers, all of which Ruby didn’t understand. After another good fifteen minutes of this, the van came to a sudden stop.

 

With a few swipes and touches of the screen plugged into Ruby’s arm, the man dressed as a paramedic powered down the limb. Unclipping the artery, nerve bundle and CPU, he left only the small motherboard hanging from Ruby’s shoulder. Taking a good five minutes, he unwound the thread of the now lifeless limb and carried it carefully to the back of the van. Reaching out his right hand, he opened the door, to be greeted by a tall, muscular man Ruby could not recognize. “Alright Joe,” the paramedic began, “What do we do now?”

“We do what we've waited to do for our whole f*****g lives my friend,” the big man, Joe, replied. The paramedic man looked confused. “And what would that be?” he asked.

“We make history tonight Aaron,” Joe said, a grin spreading out across his face. 



© 2013


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

473 Views
1 Review
Added on January 13, 2011
Last Updated on April 29, 2013


Author


Writing