Chapter 2: The Prodigal Daughter

Chapter 2: The Prodigal Daughter

A Chapter by WriterGirl247247
"

Amy meets with the mysterious Susan to hear her story.

"

I spotted Susan through the window as I approached the coffee shop. She sat at a table near the back and faced the door. She held a styrofoam cup, and another sat in front of her. Apparently she knew I'd come. Like me she had shed the school uniform. She wore jeans and an oversized hoodie, her face being mostly concealed by the raised hood.

A voice screamed in my head to turn around. Go home and pretend it never happened. But my curiosity won out. I walked inside and crossed over to Susan.

“Hey,” she greeted as I reached the table. “Thanks for coming. I went ahead and got you a drink. Peppermint still your favorite, right?”

“Uh, yeah. Thanks,” I said as I sat down.

I took a small sip, the drink warning me from the inside out. I decided to cut to the point. I didn't have the time or the patience to dance around it. “Look, who are you? How do you know me? What do you want?”

Susan leaned forward. She lowered her voice to a whisper. “My name really is Susan Wright. And I told you, I'm your friend. Your best friend. I came to take you home.”

I shook my head. “I am home. And don't you think I'd remember my best friend?”

“You think this is home,” she countered. “They want you to think that. The same way they brainwashed you to forget about me.”

I narrowed my eyes and stared at her with astonishment. “Brainwashed?”

She sighed. “I guess I should explain. Have you heard of the Phantoms?”

I was starting to think she was actually insane. Talking about me being brainwashed then asking if I knew about some ghosts. I was regretting coming.

She continued when I didn't answer. “There were two people, a while ago, that started it. They were this genius couple. They created this software company out of their garage. Made it into an empire. But they always just wanted one thing: to help people. To make a difference. So they founded countless charities to help others, as many as they could. But it was never enough.”

“If you tell me they put on capes and fought crime, I'm leaving.”

“No. There were no capes.”

I scoffed. “Please tell me this is just a big joke.”

Susan ignored me. “There was this business man they knew, had some bad encounters with him. He was corrupt as the day was long. Manipulating markets, extortion, racketeering, the list goes on and on. But no one could catch him in the act. He knew how to hide from the law. So the couple decided to do something. They hacked into his computer and posted everything online. He was in jail in less than twenty-four hours. After that, they decided to keep going. Expose all those that think they're untouchable. Anonymously. Soon the media gave them the name of ‘Phantoms’ and it stuck. They were labeled vigilantes. I hate that word. Anyway, they grew and recruited. But years ago, they died in a car accident. It looked over. Until their daughter took over.”

“So what does that have to do with me?”

She gave me an expectant look. I leaned back as it dawned on me. “You're saying I'm a-- a spy? My parents aren't spies. And they're not dead.”

“They're not your real parents,” she said. She took a breath. “I became a Phantom when you did. We were the best team. And then a year ago, we went on a mission to bring down this huge criminal mastermind. Bigger than we ever faced. We went in even though it looked bad. But it was a trap. He wanted to expose us. He never saw our faces and we never saw his. I barely got out alive. You… you didn't.”

She kept herself from breaking into tears. “We thought you were dead. But when we weren't exposed, we hoped you were alive. We looked and looked. Then suddenly we got this tip… and here we are.”

I pounded down the last of my drink and let her elaborate story sink in. “So we’re both spies. And this whole town is fake?”

She nodded. “We think they wiped your memories and put you in a bubble. A fake environment away from us. And that some serum or medicine helps keep your memories at bay. Some daily supplement.”

I attempted to hide my shock. My mind went to my allergy medicine. My parents constantly hounded me about it. I shook my head. How could I be buying into this?

“It's just a story,” I concluded. “A spy? Me, of all people? How could I ever believe any of this?”

She stood. “You will. Get home and try to get some sleep before it kicks in.”

I froze, and slowly turned to look at my empty cup. “What did you put in my drink?!” I asked in a state of utter shock.

“A serum our doctors whipped up. Something to counteract everything they've done. Best we could get. Your memories will start to come back soon. Get home and don't trust anyone. Act natural. I'll find you tomorrow.” She hurried out of the coffee shop and disappeared into the wind.

I steadied myself. I fought against the bile crawling up the back of my throat. I was just poisoned! How did this happen?

I found the strength to stand and walked out. I went home. My parents were in the living room. Mom said something to me, but I didn't hear. Poison occupied my mind.

I ran upstairs and into my room. My vision swam. I slumped onto my bed to clear my head. A moment later sleep claimed me.

I wish it hadn't.


© 2016 WriterGirl247247


Author's Note

WriterGirl247247
Please review and comment. And please guess what you think will happen next. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Really like the do i don't i bit a the start of the chapter - brilliantly executed. You're story is so intriguing and very engrossing and draws the reader in. I still have visions of the matrix in my head. As they we're talkng i got the feeling that I was actually watching them and listening in. I really have no idea where this is going but i sure will read the rest. Your dialogue is brilliant and flows really well. A talented writer if ever i saw one. A talent which you should exploit.

Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

WriterGirl247247

7 Years Ago

That means the world. Thank you! :)
matrixmark

7 Years Ago

You are welcome and it is so deserved.



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Nia
AMAZING- Defintely work of a well written author. Keep up the amazing work!

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is amazing so far! You really know how to write a book!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Really like the do i don't i bit a the start of the chapter - brilliantly executed. You're story is so intriguing and very engrossing and draws the reader in. I still have visions of the matrix in my head. As they we're talkng i got the feeling that I was actually watching them and listening in. I really have no idea where this is going but i sure will read the rest. Your dialogue is brilliant and flows really well. A talented writer if ever i saw one. A talent which you should exploit.

Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

WriterGirl247247

7 Years Ago

That means the world. Thank you! :)
matrixmark

7 Years Ago

You are welcome and it is so deserved.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

243 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 27, 2016
Last Updated on September 27, 2016
Tags: spy, thriller, action, mystery


Author

WriterGirl247247
WriterGirl247247

About
Starting writer that is completely her first book. more..

Writing
Safe Safe

A Story by WriterGirl247247



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..